Do people choose a milsurp based on cheap ammo avail.?

Quite frankly, most of my shooting is for frequency and quantity, not quality...,

I reload solely with the intent to save money, so I think we are on the same page as far as reloading goes. I intentionally load down to save money and to a lesser extent wear and tear on the gun and my shoulder. In my experience, a paper target or the occasional pop can doesn't really care if the bullet is travelling at 2700 or 3000 fps. :p Understand that most serious reloaders will find our ideas blasphemous, but that is OK. I don't disagree with their reason for reloading. It's just that putting 3 rounds into 1 "ragged hole" at 16,000 yards is not what floats my boat. ;) A large supply of cheap ammo = a good day at the range for me.

Well-spoken.

Life is too short to need to impress others.
Isn't that what appears to motivate many people at some ranges, or just the younger types?

My shooting is 95% alone and always fun. Some local guys with young kids wish that they could get out more.

Last edited:
History

I'm not concerned about prices or values. When the spirits of those that fought for our freedom are watching over my shoulder the whole experience is priceless.

Yes, this can be followed in a practical and somewhat historical sense... 7.62 NATO > 30.06 M2 Ball > .303 British > 8 mm (7.92) > 7.62 X 54R. This is a rough course of commonly available surplus ammo; though, the time periods of availability will not be consistent. There was a time in the late 70's when all the 30.06 was thought to be gone.
Best,
Rob

I consider GP-11 to be cheap compared to store bought new manufacture ammo, compared to 8mm Mauser and 7.62 russian surplus, it's not.

This was my thought... GP-11 is actually pretty darn cheap considering the quality. Most K31s chucking GP-11 are good for minute of angle or a touch better. Not bad for 50 cents a round. Match .308 is twice that.

If GI M2 ball ammo is considered easy to reload three times or so (for economics), I will seriously consider a Garand.

I think that three reloads from a Garand will be pushing it, just because of the age of the brass and the way that the M1 treats it. Definitely one, probably two and maybe, just maybe three.

You might also check with your local club - CMP has some sort of deal where they offer a pretty steep discount for bulk purchases to clubs, who can then pass the deal on to members.

...I consider GP-11 to be cheap compared to store bought new manufacture ammo, compared to 8mm Mauser and 7.62 russian surplus, it's not.

GP-11 is actually pretty darn cheap considering the quality. Most K31s chucking GP-11 are good for minute of angle or a touch better. Not bad for 50 cents a round.

IMHO, GP-11 is right on the line between cheap available surplus ammo and expensive hard-to-find ammo. Its quality, while indisputable, is not really the point of the OP.

jsmaye:
It's allright, as this novice learns something from any discussions.

Lots of discussions on eight websites persuaded this hard-headed guy to not 'fall' for the CETME G-3 (affordable prices can be for a valid reason), because of some brittle guns and/or damaged brass (no port buffer).

There were three, plus a PTR-91 ($$) in "Whittaker's" today, by Owensboro KY.

A Garand-CMP only-appears to be a better, simpler, more economical gun for a novice than any .308 semi-auto, including an FAL.

Last edited:
Back