Do Gun-Socks harm firearms

hope not

Most all my wood stocked rifles are in socks, in the safe.......and I find the socks help immensely in preventing safe dings. Granted my safe is a bit cramped.........should all be that cursed!

I take rifles in and out fairly regularly for use and for an inspection, and sometimes just for fun. There is a good bit of the powdered stuff, a big bag and a BUNCH of the little ones, strewn about inside the safe to help with humidity.

Never have had a problem.

How could a knit sock not allow a gun to 'breathe'? I have all my guns in socks in my safes. Protects them from dings. Have used them for years with no problems. I also keep my handguns in the smaller versions

I got one more little plus for socks, which is a balance against the silicon risk. It keeps my greasy finger oil off the guns. Sometimes I grab a gun from the barrel and without a sock that would leave finger oils on the gun.

I suppose over time I got a nice concoction of finger oil, silicon, grease and gun oil on my socks.

I cannot agree enough with bamaranger, they most important factor to prevent rust is to take the guns out and do something with them. Even if not fired for years, show them a little love and follow up with a good wipe down. A watched pot never boils.

Back