Do deer prefer the 6.5 Creedmoor?

Nine out of Ten deer I've talked to say they would be embarassed to be taken
with a 6.5 CM. They all agreed that they are afraid of 243s.

Comparing a 7 1/2 pound rifle in both cartridges on JBM. 100 gr. American Whitetail ammo in 243 produces 10.3 ft. lbs. of recoil energy in 243 Win. American Whitetail 129 gr. ammo in 6.5 Creedmoor produces 13.3 ft. lbs. recoil. 30% more recoil + increased muzzle blast is significant. I would start with a 243. If the youngster wants "more gun" then trade in the 243.

Nine out of Ten deer I've talked to say they would be embarassed to be taken
with a 6.5 CM. They all agreed that they are afraid of 243s.

Well they are a conservative lot.

People shoot deer with 300 wm and other big ones, they just bore a hole all the way through, it dies (eventually)

That said all the calibers from 223 on up through 30-30 will do the job with the right bullets.

There really is no right choice or a wrong choice, just what appeals.

If I was hunting deer I would probably go with 308 so I could target shoot it a lot to, but that is just me and what I like to do, many hunters shoot fewer than 10 rounds a year. 243 or 6.5 will eat up a throat well before a 308, but thats 40 years hunting for many people.

Oh............ One thing more.

10 out of 10 deer interviewed would prefer to be hunted by one armed men armed with slingshots ------------ with one band broken.

" 100 gr. American Whitetail ammo in 243 produces 10.3 ft. lbs. of recoil energy in 243 Win. American Whitetail 129 gr. ammo in 6.5 Creedmoor produces 13.3 ft. lbs. recoil. 30% more recoil + increased muzzle blast is significant. "

Like I said but with actual numbers, now do you believe it?

I give the deer in my woods a little .300 blackout out of a pistol because it's a small woods & the longest shot I can take is about 100 yds. They don't like it, they just jump take a few steps & fall down but it's all I got that's legal. As long as it does the job I guess it's ok. LOL

Back