Do any of you use full-flap holsters?

When teenager I went through western phase. Got tired of the flop & flip in the woods. Went to hide ride thumb breaks and finally to full flap cross draw about 30 yrs ago. Protects gun and keeps it out of the way, while allowing easy access.

I have a WWII British web holster, full flap made for the large frame Webley 6". Works quite well for S&W 6" revolvers and several semis autos as well. Got the web belt to go with it. Good rig for "camp" and general outdoor packing.

Plus, it looks cool...:D

Although when it comes to holsters, everything seems to be focused on concealed and / or tatctical solution, I find these old-fashioned, Indiana-Jones-style holsters the best solution for situations where you want to carry a pistol without an actual need to quickly draw. There are - only a few but still - modern versions of this type of holster as well.
Not modern but as new EG rain pattern camo (some call splinter pattern) for the PM Makarov. I also have really nice leather ones for the Mak....when fishing I will carry this way

They all have an extra mag pouch and some have cleaning rod loops and a release assist strap, used to come with the pistol and excellent quality

I also have a Bianchi "Practical Holster" for a single six and a bunch of military holsters for various handguns,

The 1895 Nagant revolver holster is an excellent fit for 4" K-Frame size revolvers, is cheap and heck for stout, even has a pouch to hold extra rounds....full flaps provide the best security for certain outdoor pursuits but are obviously slower to deploy the weapon,

Like badge851 I have a Guides Choice for my 44 Mt. Gun. I use it out in the boat on the Yukon R. when getting wood, hunting for wild Raspberries, just boating, picknicing and moose hunting. It is a very well made and comfortable chest rig.

Once you get used to a full flap that has the flap secured with a snap, not the "tongue thru a hasp" affair, they are easy to draw from. Mine are elk hide lined affairs that fit the revolver snuggly so it won't fall out if the flap is inadvertantly unsnapped.

This one:

Has seen many miles horseback (made in 1980) and fits my Old Army, Super Blackhawk Hunter and Redhawk.

This one, with my KGP161:

Protects the handgun from all angles and fits the revolver so tightly that it will not fall out no matter what yet I can still draw from it rather quickly. No Quickdraw McGraw, but with patience, perseverance and practice it can be done.

RJ

If you ask how much $$$, you can't afford one

I agree that there are still uses for this type of holster! I use a pretty mundane and low-cost nylon flap holster once a year for a three-days-of-hunting trip out west where I hunt prairie dogs. The main event is my bolt action rifle on dogs at distance, but I keep a handgun at my side for snakes and for the lucky (and patient!) chance at a prairie dog that might choose to show himself within 30 yards. I did NOT get one this year (ARRRGH!) but I got one in each of the last two years.

To make these hits, I need something that gives me confidence in precision -- I use a very late production Smith & Wesson Model 52-2 with swaged lead hollow base wadcutters.

And the flap holster keeps the very sharp-edged rear target sight from giving me, my clothes, the seat in the car and the chair I use for rifle shooting from getting torn up.

When I'm hiking or walking/scouting, the flap is tucked inside and the pistol is accessible. When I'm behind the rifle or in the car, the flap it deployed to protect the pistol, but more so to keep the rear sight from tearing things up.

If you ask how much $$$, you can't afford one
Gotta laugh at the snooty, upper-crust nature of this over-used old sneer. All the while the world sees a Ruger revolver stuffed in to this all too expensive 'that nobody could possibly afford' holster. It's not a Korth sitting in there and I'll guess it isn't one of the guns that Elmer Keith used to take down game at 600 yards.

full flap holster

I have made a few full-flap holsters. However, most went with the guns they were fit to (and made for), when I sold those guns. All the photos I had of my holsters (and guns) were "lost" to Photo Bucket.

I do have one of my home-made holsters still left though. This one is for my S&W .32 S&W long revolver. The revolver is an old one...an "I" frame if I remember my S&W's correctly...pre-"j" frame (with a flat mainspring, not coiled like a "j" frame.

I made the belt loop into a two-way job. I can thread a belt though the loop or just use the clip to hang the holster on the top pocket of my bib on my bib overalls when I sit in chair in my woods "menacing" any creature that may venture by.

Attachments

• flapthree.jpg
    flapthree.jpg
    231 KB · Views: 14
  • flaptwo.jpg
    flaptwo.jpg
    154 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:
Sevens, go to any good saddle maker and ask him/her how much to make a holster like those pictured, you'll be more humble next time.

Oh, not to be "snooty", but I have a S&W 21 that was Elmer's. Charlie O'Neill was in the process of rebuilding it before his untimely death.

RJ

Sevens, go to any good saddle maker and ask him/her how much to make a holster like those pictured, you'll be more humble next time.

Oh, not to be "snooty", but I have a S&W 21 that was Elmer's. Charlie O'Neill was in the process of rebuilding it before his untimely death.

RJ
Are saddle makers the same as holster makers? I'm ask'en for a friend.

Well, I do make holsters but I know a couple saddle makers that do make holsters and they are pretty proud of their holsters and "other work" in general.

So, tell your friend that in my opinion, no they may or may not be.

Or should that be yes . . . .

:confused:

RJ

Last edited:
JMHO

Are saddle makers the same as holster makers? I'm ask'en for a friend.
Not really as all Saddle-Makers are capable of making a holster but the reverse is not realistic. .…… :rolleyes:

I partially learned some techniques from a Boot-maker/Saddle-maker and he was a real artist …… ;)

Be Safe !!!

Back