Do any of you use full-flap holsters?

simonrichter

Although when it comes to holsters, everything seems to be focused on concealed and / or tatctical solution, I find these old-fashioned, Indiana-Jones-style holsters the best solution for situations where you want to carry a pistol without an actual need to quickly draw. There are - only a few but still - modern versions of this type of holster as well.

My #2 son, carries that way when doing chores around his farm. No need for quick access and the flap protects the gun's stocks from damage and the entire gun from woodland debris and rain. His is a self-made cross draw type carried on the weak side hip bone. It works for him in that position, but I find it inconvenient when seated. HTH's Rod

When I lived in Alaska I carried my Super Blackhawk in a full flap holster. Also carried a 1911 in one for three years as a military policeman. Currently, I have a full flap holster for my 1860 Army, that I use for cowboy action shooting, a 1911 full flap for Wild Bunch class, and have military full flaps for Luger, P-38, PPK and an FN 32 acp.

Cowboy guns look cool in them, great for parades and reenactments.
The handgun is a defensive weapon unless being used for hunting, something to keep in mind when choosing a holster.

Just noticed op is from Austria, there were some great flap holsters during the first two world wars, thinking German Lugers and Russian Nagant holsters.

Full flap is the way to go when hunting. I may encounter rain or snow, but always encounter seeds and little tiny twigs of dried grasses which get everywhere... so an enclosed holster keeps my pistol dry and clean from debris. At the end of a good day in the field I might collect enough seeds and bits of weed to make a piling handful.

I was searching for a small flap holster for my Ruger Bearcat, but in the search found an antique leather holster carved and dyed in a beautiful floral pattern so... I put up with debris in favor of fashion. Which is funny because how many people does one meet in the woods to impress?

This brings me to another point, I hunt in public areas and so may meet hikers or fishermen and I feel flapped holsters are less threatening a look than some other options. Hopefully a carved and dyed floral holster around a small shiny stainless Bearcat does not telegraph “threat” to anyone- maybe just “old man with a nice dog and a cowboy gun.”

Please keep in mind that there are many aspects to the sport other than being a quick-draw to defend against bad guys. If that was truly important, the world record holding quick draw guys ALL use a cowboy style holster and if the goal is to shoot many steel plates and throw many expensive magazines in to the dirt, those guys have their own style.

I like the elegance of full-flap holsters,,,

I like the elegance of full-flap holsters,,,
Especially for the old west cap and ball revolvers.

Here's one I made for an 1860 Colt.

gl-007-36calnavycolt.jpg

One of the first holsters I ever made was a full-flap for a Colt Frontier Scout,,,
That was back in the early 60's and it almost got my Dad arrested.

Oklahoma Game Wardens back then were legendary for their predatory practices,,,
My Dad was hunting, wearing the holster, and a game warden saw him,,,
He cited him for carrying a "concealed weapon".

The warden said that since he couldn't see the gun it was concealed,,,
The arrest almost happened because he didn't like my Dad's attitude towards him.

I really don't remember all the details as I was only about 12 years old,,,
I just remember Dad cutting the flap off with his pocket knife.

Aarond

Simple Rugged Holsters has several models with an attached or detachable flap, for example their "Flap Jack" and the "All American" models for revolvers.

I use a surplus black leather GI M1911A1 hip holster and a GI web pistol belt

the used surplus holster are best because they're already broken in ;)

Last edited:
Yup
Quite regularly
Some of us actually carry out in the real world
Excellent way to keep the weapon from getting trashed
Excellent way to keep the weapon from trashing other things

The lady wants a green dress.

A fellow instructor asked if I could install a flap on his GP-100 holster. At first I thought is was a bad idea and suggested that he buy one. He was fond of the one he regularly used for hunting and though it would be get better by adding a flap. Well, I did so and he was very happy with the results. Since then, I have done three more and they turned out pretty good. ….. :confused:

Harry, the lady wants a green dress; so turn on the green light !!!

Be Safe !!!

Last edited:
Sure!

I've used, and still use, several full flap holsters. When I was working and marking boundary, I carrried my issue P220 in a Bianchi M84 holster with flap AND thumb snap too. When in the boonies in brush, weeds and muck, or ATV, I used the flap w/ thumbsnap. To and from in a conventional vehicle essentially in public, I could unsnap the flap and roll it back behind the gunbelt, where it stayed and was not obtrusive, nor really visible. The thumb snap then served to secure the handgun.

When woods wandering, I sometimes use a Hunter flap holster to carry a long barreled Ruger Single-6 in .22 mag, crossdraw. I've got a nifty cartridge belt to go with it. The crossdraw allows the long barreled six-shooter to ride comfortably when seated in a vehicle, or astride an ATV. Also, if I take my Ruger standard model MkII .22lr, I'v found that said 4" pistol fits nicely in the old GI flap holster for the 1911. That set up goes on the old web belt with a GI canteen and pouch, a first aid kit pouch holds spare ammo.

if I take my Ruger standard model MkII .22lr, I'v found that said 4" pistol fits nicely in the old GI flap holster for the 1911
I wasn't aware of that...good info, I'll give it a try, Rod

'cause PRON is good.

The holster was one I found in a barn and in only a little bit better condition than today. IIRC I found it while Ike was still president but it was most likely made around the time Teddy was in office.

standard.jpg

The gun is much younger than the holster but still from Ike's first term.

standard.jpg

Back