Do any of you carry speed loaders for your CCW? If so, how do you carry them?

I prefer the speed strips myself.much flatter and easier to carry for me. With enough practice one can get proficiently quick with them.

I carry 6 HKS speed loaders for my 4" S&W model 686. They fit in my jeans perfectly. When I carried my 4" Colt Python I also carried 6 HKS speed loaders for that.

:eek:
Is it a 686 plus? 7 rounder?
That would make six times 7 = 42 extra rounds and 7 in the gun.
a total of 49 rounds.
Even with a six rounder, that makes 42 rounds total, same mass.

That's a lot of weight and mass to carry!
In jeans no less!

If I carry something on my belt, I like for it to look like it's not gun-related, so I re-purpose things as much as I can. When I carried my LCRX, I used an old cell phone pouch to carry a speedloader. The diameter was just about right and I added a rolled up piece of foam in the bottom of the pouch to hold the loader up so I could grasp it easier. It worked well for me - handy, easy on and off the belt, and didn't look like a speedloader.

Speedloader = no "tactical" reload (hate that word but y'all know what I mean)

Speed Strip / Quick Strip = easier carry and the ability to top off as needed.

HighgValleyRanch, it is a 686-1 so it is a 6 shot so it is a total of 42 rounds. As for the weight it is very manageable, especially with the right belt. BTW I have also carried concealed no less a 6" Colt Python, 4" S&W model 28-2 so the weight doesn't bother me much. Actually the weight is somewhat refreshing. I know it is there. With my winter coat even the 6" Python conceals easily. When the weather is too hot Virginia is an open carry state and I have no problems either way. Sometimes I do carry semi-autos but over 35 years ago I started carry a firearm professionally and was limited to a revolver that fired .38 Special ammo. I chose my 6" Python as my first handgun and carried it for about 3 years before I went to the S&W 28-2.

I own a few speed loaders and have some revolvers that use moon clips too but most times I wear a flat pouch from Tuff Products to hold two of their speed strips. I only wear untucked shirts. The pouch just wraps around my belt and comes in two sized depending on the caliber and number of rounds you carry.

If I think I need more than 5-6 rounds, I carry a semi auto with a spare magazine. Even if I think wrong, I still have 15 rounds on my person. I did carry speed loaders before speed strips came into being. I still have the belt pouch to carry them. Now I just carry speed strips and keep the speed loaders next to any revolver I use for home defense, but my main revolvers all are cut to accept. I also use speed loaders/Moon Clips for car or off body carry. If I leave my rural area, I take one of my 1911's, HKs, Glocks or Sigs. with a spare mag. I do not consider myself armed with a semi auto without a spare mag or at least a speed strip.

Unless the revolver is already in my pocket, an HKS speed loader is there (in the right side pocket as I am right-handed). "Speed strips", though more convenient to carry than conventional speed loaders are and faster, I suppose, than grabbing a fistful of cartridges at random from a pocket, are anything but speedy. Imo, they should be called "slow strips". ;)

Back