Do any of you carry speed loaders for your CCW? If so, how do you carry them?

DMK

With my J-Frame in my right front pocket, I usually drop a speed strip or two in by change pocket, but speed loaders make for much quicker reloads and I really don't even like using speed strips at the range.

In the winter time I just drop speed loaders in my right or inside breast coat pocket. Without a coat though I cant find a good way to carry them.

Do any of you guys carry speed loaders?

I carry a 7-shot L-frame in the cooler months when I can layer up. Was just carrying it not 10 minutes ago, actually.

I don't carry any speedloaders; or any extra ammo. I'm comfortable with seven rounds.

I like speed loaders for my JFrame, but rarely carry them. Between my money clip and cell phone in my left pocket and the JFrame in my right pocket that doesn't leave much room so I drop a speed strip in my back pocket. If I wear a jacket a speed loader can come along in one of the pockets.

When I carry my S&W 642, I always carry one speed loader.

That's a total of 10 shots combined. If I need more than 10 shots, I'm going hand to hand. ;)

When I OC my S&W 329PD, I always carry one speedloader in my left front pocket. Been doing that 6 years this Feb.

Some people use a Desert Eagle .357 or .44 magazine as a quick loader. Just shove the cartridges out into the cylinder, like some mutant Pez dispenser.

The magazines are sturdy, protect the ammunition from damage, and you can get belt carriers for them.

Not as fast as a proper speed loader, but if you have problems finding space for a speed loader among your other daily carry items it's not a bad deal.

Some people use a Desert Eagle .357 or .44 magazine as a quick loader. Just shove the cartridges out into the cylinder, like some mutant Pez dispenser.

That's pretty slick. Thanks.

I don't carry one of my J-frames that often. I throw a couple speed strips in a pocket.
Cold weather I always have a G42 ankle holster on. So, that's my reload.

I carry an 8 round N frame. I put 2 speed strips in my front left pocket. I have a few speed loaders but the strips are so easy to carry.

Nowadays I mostly carry speedstrips, reserving speedloaders for those situations when I can fit 1 or 2 of them on my person in a convenient manner. (Bigger pockets in jackets during cooler weather, although I might still only grab 2-3 speedstrips for most usage.)

Pretty much the same thing I used to do in the days of carrying a service revolver (or one of my own revolvers) off-duty, so it became a habit. I carried a pair of speedloaders on & off-duty, but eventually went to speedstrips for ease of carrying in smaller, tighter pockets that wouldn't hold speedloaders.

There have been many times when I've worn a camera case on my belt, when riding a motorcycle, which easily holds 5-6 speedloaders in the "camera film roll" pocket.

Yes, speedloaders are faster than speedstrips, but they still require some training and continued practice to surely and effectively use them.

DMK

I also carry a J frame in my RH front pocket. I do use a pocket holster when I carry in this manner. I rarely carry extra ammo, but when I do, I carry a speed loader in my LH rear pocket.

Back