Do All Rifle

I have permission to buy one rifle before the election (I'm currently rifle-less). I'm looking for a jack-of-all-trades defense and medium game hunting rifle. I've narrowed it to 3; a semiautomatic Century Arms C308 .308/7.62x51mm, a CZ 527 Varmint bolt 7.62x39mm set up "Scout" style, or Henry Big Boy or All Weather .45-70 lever action. Budget wise, the Henry is pushing the upper limits, the CZ and Century are very close on the entry level. The CZ and Century are in my mind more all rounders, with the Henry being more hunting oriented in .45-70, a lower caliber Henry might be more versatile in a defense role. Your educated opinions and practical experiences would be respectfully appreciated. I'm not interested in an AR in .223/5.56. I know plenty of deer have fallen to .223, but in the brushy Georgia woods, I'd prefer something in the 30 family. Thanks!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

I have lots of rifles, most costing more, but this is my version of a "Scout" rifle. Sorry, Jeff Cooper, this is better. Ruger Predator 308, 18" medium contour target barrel threaded for suppressor or flash hider if you desire. I have 4-5 spare magazines. Overall length is short and it weighs 7lbs as shown. Shoots under 1" at 200 yards. It cost me under $400. Spend the rest of your budget on better glass or ammo.

Something in the general style of jmr40's idea is more my pick. I'd go with .243, 7mm08 or .308 as my cartridge selection. Plus good-used reloading equipment. For a budget scope, a good-used Weaver K-4 or equivalent would work just fine.

Along the same lines as jmr40, this is my Ruger American Ranch, with a 5.56mm chamber.

It is wicked accurate and easy on the shoulder, but in it's chambering, you probably would not like this particular rifle. jmr40's Ruger would fit your bill though, and for the money, these Ruger rifles are top shelf. :)

I have a bit of a crush on the CZ 527 so I am biased and would take my input with a grain of salt...:). What kind of action do you want? The magazine fed autos are going to be the ones affected most if this election turns out poorly, so if that is an interest, now might be the time to pick one up. As for me, I am a bolt and lever action fan. I like the Henry as well but those 45-70 rounds get a bit pricey. If it were for deer and self defense I think a .44mag or at the most 30-30 would be my choice.

Welcome to the Firing Line, Shooterfan1974. Since you mentioned lever-action rifles and the Georgia woods, I feel compelled to recommend the 30-30 Winchester. And I would recommend an older one at that. The pre-remington Marlins have an excellent reputation and are easily scoped. My preference is the pre-64 and pre-War Winchesters, as I don't prefer a scope on a lever-gun.

I got my wife a CZ-527 in 7.62x39 that is very accurate with Tula FMJ. It's a great little rifle that eats from the same trough as my old WASR 10.

2016-07-14%2015.05.39_zpslqccnd17.jpg

What kind of defense are you talking about? I can't really imagine using a .308 or a .45-70 inside the home, and a 7.62X39 being on the powerful side for defensive use is kind of cumbersome as a bolt action for most of what I think of as "defensive" use. I personally think they're all fine rifles, although I would say you'll be rolling the dice less to go with a PTR model versus a Century CETME.

The CETME is a heavy rifle to carry and as much as I love the platform, I don't know if I would see it being my first choice. The 527 is a light rifle that handles very smooth and points naturally. Would carry easily, shoots cheap ammo and has the neat removable magazines. I've thought about getting one many times but I always end up with something else instead.

For defense, a handgun caliber is good. If you have ever touched a rifle inside of a building, you understand this. If you want a do-all rifle and that is supposed to include self-defense, understand that there is a reason why people opt for handguns for self-defense.

If by all-around you mean you want a hunting rifle that still looks cool when you get together with the guys, an AR is a good bet. If you are looking at a 308, get a 308 AR. AKs, though reliable, are not really accurate enough to take on the hunting rifle role. And ANYTHING from Century should be off the list immediately.

If what you want is a cheap knockaround rifle, look at the Ruger American or Howa packages. Under $500 out the door with scope and ammo, good, solid, accurate.

"I have a bit of a crush on the CZ 527 so I am biased and would take my input with a grain of salt...."

Im with targa on this one...have the CZ527FS & CZ527Carbine...both in 223/5.56....both are extremely accurate....the single set triggers...will spoil you....have the CZ452FS & CZ455 Lux..CZ452 Varmint...22s...that are incredible as well..

Sounds to me you looking for what I call a truck gun. It's a have it with you all the time, kill everything you might encounter, cheap to shoot and reliable. If so why not consider the trusty old 30/30? It meets all your criteria. For me it's an AR but I get the fact not everyone is a fan of it, but you can't dispute the history of the 30/30. Just offering options here.

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

Anything Century had anything to do with is suspect at best. They have no concept of what QC is or how to apply it.
Like Scorch says, rethink the 'rifle for defense' idea. You won't be fighting off hordes of BG's at long distances. And there's far too much penetration.
However, you need to have a firm budget in mind. Look into a Savage package or wait until after deer season and look at used hunting rifles. Used is not a bad thing. You can sometimes find higher end kit for entry level money after deer season.

I have had good luck with my Century VZ2008 and so has a friend of mine who has one. We have both put hundreds of rounds through ours with no issues. But I also heard they contracted out a lot of work on that job. My experience with Century CETMEs has been less than stellar despite never owning one. The one I shot had constant double feeds and failures to eject, resulting in cases being crushed and in one case a bullet being ripped out of the case mouth.

Since you would prefer something in .30 that rules out the Henry. You have a light Bolt Action Scout gun with a lower power cartridge vs a poorly retreaded combat rifle from 30-50 years ago.

I'd probably get one of the .308 bolt guns recommended early on in the thread.

AR considering your "before the election" comment.
It isn't cheap and I don't think it is a good system if not limited to one gun, but you can make an AR do almost anything.

I absolutely love my cz527 in 7.62x39...if you can only have 1 rifle I would probably want it in either 7.62x39 or .308. I would give 7.62 the nod for affordability but almost all of my shooting is at paper.

Do all Rife

Of the ones you mentioned it would have to be the .308 regardless of particular rifle.
My thought on the matter totally is any rifle that performs to you desires.
I would go with 30-06in a strong bolt action with 26 in barrel.
It can be loaded to safe pressures beyond factory rounds.
You can find ammo just about anywhere and numerous factory loadings with different bullets, if you don't plan on hand loading.
The extra 2.5 ounces of the .26 in over the 24 in should not matter.
However when hand loading the extra length allows for little slower burning powder and higher velocity. Not 400 fps though. jmo

A do-all rifle...have to go with jmr40s suggestion.

While I own the RA Predator in .243Win, would have to stick with the .308 and the shorter tube. If someone told me I had to pick one rifle to use for a year (lets not get carried away with forever) that would be the rifle I would choose.

The Mossberg MVP in .308 is also in the ballpark and with the ability to use AR10 pattern magazines, offers significantly higher capacity. But they are not as accurate as the Predator nor is the trigger or bedding as good.

I have had 10 .308s over the years, 6 in AR10 patterns, 3 bolts and an Encore barrel. I only have the Encore barrel (for the boys to hunt with) and my Daniel Defense DD5V1 left and I am happy with them. It is sometimes a love/hate relationship as it is so versatile, but there are better tools for most of its jobs. When I see any of these "One rifle" questions, the answer to me starts with the .308 caliber and then the packaging is built around it based on needs, then wants.

Back