DMV ( NoVA MD DC ) thread

pturner67

I wanted to start a thread dedicated to the National Capitol Region so we can discuss getting groups together to go shooting. In addition, it would be a good place to post group training events in the DMV area (like group discount rates, etc)

I usually end up at the NRA range Sunday morning around 10-1030 (during NFL season) but sometimes head over to Silver Eagle or Blue Ridge on Saturdays. I have shot one time outside at Clark Brothers but that was a few years ago.

I have a Spikes Tactical AR15 and a S&W M&P 40.

If anyone is interested in getting together, let me know. If you know of events or want to form a meetup, let's go!

Paul

hey BadF350, I will be at NRA at 10:30 this coming Sunday if you want to go. I am doing my concealed carry class Saturday.

What's the range like Saturday mornings these days?

I'v been wanting to get out there for a long time (I live 3 miles from there).

I need to get some ammo reloaded first, though.

What's the range like Saturday mornings these days?

Hit and miss, no pun intended. My experience has been that during football season, it's pretty busy when they open. Usually a line starts about 15-30 minutes before they open on both Saturday and Sunday...everyone wants to get their shooting in before the college and pro games start. I try to get there about 15 minutes after they open so I can get in after the cycle out the first group when their hour is up. I don't watch sports so I go when the games are on and generally have a much easier time getting in and I can sometimes stay as long as I want because no one is waiting.
Monday is the best day. If you can go during the late morning or early afternoon its usually about 1/3 full, except on Fed. holidays.

I'd love to meet some of y'all up there, but I'm stuck working weekends for a while until I get a new employee trained. We've probably seen each other up there already. :)

1BadF350, I guess I know who owns the lifted black F350 I've seen at the NRA range. Awesome truck.

Last time I went to the range 3 weeks ago it was a two-hour wait, standing room only and the Wi-Fi wasn't working. I just bought an annual membership to Shooters (formerly Gilberts) in Lorton since they are open till 10pm during the week. Plus with the new part of 7100 completed at Rolling Rd, getting to Shooters from the FFX Co Pkwy is a breeze.

I grew up in the DC area and used to shoot at Clark Bros (still out in the boondocks off of 29?)--what a wild place! I have fond memories of latino narcos and leather clad punk rockers with purple hair showing up with AK's and sweeping the firing line with their muzzles. :D Still in business? I thought they shut down or went out of business some years ago. Back then I had an SKS and a streetsweeper shotgun--a cyclinder magazine fed semi-auto shotgun which unfortunately got legislated out of my possession. If there's a weapon guaranteed to get you looks--that's one of em.

Last edited:
I've been to Clark Bros. about a dozen times in the last 2 years, bought some powder and then I can shoot my reloads I load from it there for free range time, and it's been a pretty safe place when I'm there. I don't go when I know it'll be crowded, so I can't speak about what it's like with a full house. But, say it's half full, from my experience the RSO's have been very watchful. I've seen them use the PA system to publicly humiliate people they've warned once and didn't listen, couple were 'asked' to leave.
It's also a rare thing...an outdoor range in Northern Virginia that's open to the public. It's best for rifles, the pistol range is 25' max.

"problem with Shooters is that they currently don't allow any rifles above .22 "

Actually we allow any rifle that is pistol caliber as well as shotguns. Hopefully within the next few months we will be redoing the range to allow 223/5.56.:D

I'll be glad to. As of now, our traps will support the use of 223/556. Its the baffels that need to be replaced along with the ceiling & lights. This will shut the range down for 2 weeks at least.

This is a hugh financial project and there will be a considerable loss of income with the range closed,but it is a much needed improvement.

No one will be happier then we will be when it's done. It will be nice to sell an AR and actually let the customer shoot it !! :D

just got back from the gun show...I got there at 3 when they opened it up...that place was jam packed with people...amazing how many people are buying guns and ammo

pretty good deals on ammo too...I picked up 500 rounds of Federal 55gr 5.56 for $125

gonna be funny to see how crowded it is tomorrow

I'll bump this thread. Now that I'm settling into the new job I should be getting time to get the range, probably the NRA HQ range, soon. Hope to see some of y'all there.

I have to go from here (NOVA) through Warrenton on Mar 18th and I was thinking about leaving early to stop by Clark Bros. that morning. I reckon it's packed on Saturday mornings, though?

Anyone interested in going to Blue Ridge Arsenal or the NRA range this Sunday?

I haven't shot in 5 days and I will be back in town around noon Sunday

Just an update on the range. Sharpshooters will be closed for the updates May 29 thru June 15. When these are completed, calibers up to 30-30 (I believe) will be allowed!

Steel ammo is still not allowed and all ammo will be checked..:)

Back