diy 28 nosler for less than 1600?

Hey everyone. I am wanting to build a 28 nosler. It will be my first rifle build. I would like to keep it under 1600. I would like a "parts list" so to speak. Thanks!

I put together a 6.5x06 some years ago. Had the rifle and had a new barrel put on it and chambered. Had a 6.5x55 done for the ex at the same time. Got a Parker-Hale 1200 at a gun show and had a Shilen barrel chambered and installed. Seem's to me that rifle, barrel and work came out about $800. I used the stock's the rifle's came with.

Easiest way to do it:
Buy a rifle (magnum bolt face) for about $600-$700
Have a barrel installed ($700-$800).
Fit the barrel to the factory stock.
Go shoot it.

I think so, but others might like a different action. Whatever action you buy, it will need to be a long magazine action for long magnum cartridges (RUM, H&H, or similar)

That would be doable if you do some of the work yourself. If you hire it all out it can get expensive.
Ballpark figures:
Green Mountain barrel $150
Thread/chamber/crown/profile $400
Timney 510 $200
Grayboe stock $400
PTG bottom metal $200
Inlet bottom metal $200
Finish $200

That all adds up to $1750

If you have a RUM action, why do you need the 28 Nosler?

Easy for me.
Buy used Savage 110/111 in a magnum caliber for about $300.
Call E.R. Shaw and order the length/contour you want. <$300
Loosen nut, spin barrel off.
Rent head space gages from 4D Reamer Rental.
Screw new barrel on, setting headspace. Tighten nut.
Done.

Go forth and play.

It gets expensive when building a Mauser action. :rolleyes:

Well it would be easier to tell you yes or no depending on what you want if you were a little more specific. A lot of your cost will also depend on what gunsmith you use to build your rifle. The smith I currently trust and use there is no way you could do your build for $1600. He has built a reputation and charges accordingly to keep his workload managable.

I'd go with Scorch to do your build if you want to stay around your $1600 build price using what he recommends. I do have to ask why new bottom metal, what's wrong with factory unless you want DBM? I'd also add in costs for a muzzle brake, action blueprinting, bedding, and if needed a precision ground and pinned recoil lug. I really think using a M700 action a more realistic build price is $2400 on the low end after having had a few rifles built.

You should find .28 No$ler ammo and brass before doing anything else. It's currently only available from No$ler and will likely stay that way. Midway shows 4 of the 6 loads they carry as being 'On Clearance' starting at $37.05 per 20.
Both No$ler and Hornady(less than half the price of No$ler) brass are also 'On Clearance'.
The rim diameter is .534". A 7mm Rem Mag's is .532" measured on the rim, not the case body. A .300 Rem UM will do nicely though. Long action and .534" rim. Same parent case as well.
The issue would be finding a smithy who has or will rent the assorted reamers required. Do not let him buy those as you'll pay for 'em and he'll keep 'em.
Donot expect any smithy to build any rifle in less than a year or so. Usually longer. Good smithies are very busy guys.

T.O'Heir said:
Donot expect any smithy to build any rifle in less than a year or so. Usually longer. Good smithies are very busy guys.

If you have all the parts beforehand a good smith shouldn't take more than 6-8 weeks to return a custom rifle in a synthetic stock if they can do everything in house. The trick is getting everything before you take your action to a smith. If you rely on the smith to acquire all the parts then you'll be at the mercy of that smith and where he sources parts. Last custom rifle I had built I had back in three weeks from dropping off all the parts with my gunsmith. Of course he does everything in house including the most common metal finishes. He'll even build you a full custom wood stock but that'll take awhile and about $3-4K.

Thanks for all the info so far. I was wanting to do most of the work myself from scratch. This is why I was asking about remage barrel system as I am trying to cut down on cost by using a Smith as little as possible

I wouldn't cut costs too much in a LR rifle build. It's great to DIY when everything goes right, and expensive to fix when things don't. If you really want to use a Remage barrel then set yourself up for success. Just make sure you use a blueprinted action to have a good foundation to build around, I wouldn't just screw on a barrel and call it good on a long range build.

Hey everyone. I am wanting to build a 28 nosler. It will be my first rifle build. I would like to keep it under 1600. I would like a "parts list" so to speak. Thanks!
You know...

It's about $1,300 for a Nosler M48 Liberty in 28 Nosler.

Browning Hell's Canyon
Montana Rifle Company X3
Etc.

Lots of rifles for at or under $1600 that'll probably be nicer than a $1,600 budget semi-custom rifle.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Yes I was meaning to ask if it would be better just to get a good factory rifle rather than build a budget rifle ??????vwhat do u think of the xbolt max long range?

Yes I was meaning to ask if it would be better just to get a good factory rifle rather than build a budget rifle ������vwhat do u think of the xbolt max long range?
The only Browning I ever shot was a 270WSM with a full bull-barrel and it was a dang hammer. Easily shooting sub 1" groups at 200 yards.

I doubt they're all like that but I've heard lots of good reports.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Back