Disposing of live primers

I talked to the range master where I shoot, he said just throw them in the bucket. Made sure he knew what I was doing, I guess the recycler doesn’t care.

One difference between these crushed primers and intact and uncorrupted primers is the pellet and any sealant are all likely cracked. So where a new, intact primer can be extraordinarily resistant to solvents and oils neutralizing them, I'm not so sure that would prove to be true of a mangled one. I would call the primer maker and ask them rather than rely on second-hand information from companies that don't make them.

I assume the live ammo disposal containers at any range will be removed for proper disposal, which will probably be an incinerator. Our local fire department will dispose of ol ammunition, and I presume it gets sent out for the appropriate treatment.

I've crushed a few in my RL450 by misidentifying a large primer tube for the small primer tube. When they get dispensed out the bottom anything can happen. Yea, I know, dumb, but I have those aluminum tubes color coded now.

On the other hand a primer can get fairly mangled if a crimped pocket slips through unprocessed.

Unclenick, if I'm not mistaken, you had once mentioned, on another post on this subject, that plain water could be counted on to deactivate primers such as those being discussed. Since, then, I just use an empty Hodgdon powder bottle half-filled with water and drop damaged or primers that failed to fire in that container.

I suspect I should pull one or two out, reseat if possible, and see they go off when fired but I never get around to it.

Yes. That would be worth doing. My thinking depended on any seal to the pellet being broken. If someone has a flexible enough seal, it won't work.

I know a non competition aka local bench rest guy who got a ton of flooded primers from a guy.

He spread them out, dried them and last check was still using them with no issues.

So if you have a method, you need to do the logical thing and test it to be sure it works.

Otherwise is conjecture.

Back