Disney revises guns at work policy

divemedic

Link here

Aug 15, 6:38 PM EDT

Disney revises guns-to-work policy

ORLANDO, Fla. (AP) -- Walt Disney World is revising its employee gun ban policy.

That's according to a company memo obtained Friday.

With the change, some Disney employees will be allowed to keep a gun locked in a car as long as the employee has a concealed-weapons permit, the gun isn't visible, and the weapon isn't taken out of the car.

The memo says the change only applies to employees who work at facilities outside the Walt Disney World Resort area.

A spokeswoman for Florida Attorney General Bill McCollum says Disney's new policy complies with the law.

The company had previously claimed to be exempt from a new state law that allows Florida residents to keep firearms in their vehicles while at work.

Having spoken with people involved with the pending lawsuit, I think Disney is going to lose this case.

I'm always torn on this one...

I think any employer has the right to say you can't have a gun at work... but not that you can't have one in your auto... So, with that said... I firmly believe you should not be able to carry between your car and your place of work.. but then your employer should be responsible for your safety between the car and work also. this is regardless of whether you park on their property or not.

Keep in mind an employer is 'liable' for an employees safety while at work regardless of whether they are packing or not.

Remember that it is legal in Florida to carry at work and always has been. This law merely says that an employer cannot discipline an employee or invitee for having an otherwise legal object in their car, and cannot search the employee/invitee's car for such an object. (The invitee part will likely fail due to some poor wording in the statute, but the employee part will stand)

I agree. But let's hear your idea so the employees can carry to/from work.

Keep the gun on your person. It is the only way to have complete control of it. Gun owners should be held legally and financially responsible in the even an unsecured gun in an automobile is used in a crime. The most common place for a gun to be stolen is when it is in an automobile. It is a bad idea, everyone knows it, yet people do it because of the politics involved.

I think any employer has the right to say you can't have a gun at work... but not that you can't have one in your auto...

That makes no sense. Once you get in your car, you are relatively safe. Going back and too from the parking lot is the dangerous part.

This law merely says that an employer cannot discipline an employee or invitee for having an otherwise legal object in their car

An otherwise legal object? I would support the law a little more if it had been written that vaguely. Instead the law singles out firearms. This is about a very small but vocal group in society getting its way. It is not really about constitutional rights. If rights were the point, employees would also be trying to protect their rights to religion and freedom of speech. They would be demanding time at work be set aside to pray and preach to customers and visitors. They would be requesting that they be allowed to speak on behalf of whatever politicians they think are best, and wear shirts with political messages on them rather than uniforms. The law is about control and sticking it to the man. A lot of people in central FL feel Disney has too much power and local control. The gun issue is just a way of sticking it to Disney.

Preaching at work and wearing political shirts are entirely different from having a gun in your car, those actions are more like open carry on the job. Having a gun in your car does not affect the business owner one little bit. The other actions you speak of directly affect the operation of the business.

The arguments you use are a red herring. Business opposition to this law is all about "the man" wanting absolute control over his indentured servants.

I am still lost on how a gun in your car in a distant parking lot is doing anything to protect you. Maybe guns in Florida are magic.

If someone breaks into your car and steals your gun, you might be facing an armed criminal when you return to your car. So maybe it even has a negative impact on your safety. If you don't have the gun on you, its nothing but a liability.

"Maybe guns in Florida are magic". Some of us in Florida stop at the store on our way home. Nuthin' magic 'bout that. If we are lucky enough to not have had our gun stolen, we can arm ourselves for other eventualities. As for having the firearm stolen, well golly gee. What if your whole darn car is stolen? I have one car; I have more handguns. Get Real. This isn't a perfect world. If you live where you can "carry" at work, I'm happy for you. Not all of us have that option.

Keep the gun on your person. It is the only way to have complete control of it. Gun owners should be held legally and financially responsible in the even an unsecured gun in an automobile is used in a crime.
No disrespect intended but this is the single most asinine statement I've read in months and for sure not up to your usual high standards. The victim of a crime should never be held responsible for the actions of a thief. Or perhaps you think you should lose everything if a thief steals your car and gets in an accident? Perhaps you advocate violating carry laws that require leaving your gun behind in the car at restricted locations? Perhaps you feel that hunters shouldn't be allowed to stop and get a bite to eat leaving their rifles in the car. Go back and remember who the victim is... it's the poor citizen that just had his or her gun stolen.

Not only that, but if my gun is locked up in my car, it is hardly unsecured. The person who stole it has just committed a felony to get it. How would a gun stolen from my locked car be any more dangerous than a gun stolen out of my locked home?

How would a gun stolen from my locked car be any more dangerous than a gun stolen out of my locked home?

Because a gun in your car is statistically much more likely to be stolen than a gun secured in a safe in your home. I have never left a gun in a car on a parking lot. Never will. It is a liability, and is incapable of being used for defense.

I don't think it is unreasonable to make a case against people who knowingly leave guns unsecured in vehicles. If a trespasser walks through your yard, steps in a hole, and breaks his leg, you will probably be sued, and I don't see this issue as really any different.

As I understand it, this law protects businesses from being sued if someone misuses the firearm on their property, but I do not believe it extends the same protection to the owner of the gun.

The defense is called "third party intervention" and it is the same defense that allows large companies like Disney to escape liability when an armed robber shoots someone while robbing that business.

To avoid liability here, all the defense has to show is that they took reasonable steps to prevent the third party from stealing the weapon. In this case, locking the car and placing the weapon out of the plain view of any would-be thief would be sufficient.

Because a company policy allowing weapons on property could be seen as a policy that a company is liable for should the employee that was authorized to have the weapons on property go on a shooting spree. In this case, the crazed employee would not be a third party, but a party that was directly involved.

For example, a company whose employee breaks the law while at work can sometimes be held liable for the actions of that employee, but a customer who breaks the law while on company property does not usually create a liability for the company, unless there are some exigent circumstances.

Because a gun in your car is statistically much more likely to be stolen than a gun secured in a safe in your home.

Mabe but i would like to see some numbers on thefts.

Do you have any links?

I am willing to bet that while guns may be stolen out of cars more frequently there are more guns stolen out of houses simply because every other gun a person owns (other than the one kept in the car or on them) is in the house.

Regardless of location, if somebody breaks into my locked vehicle and steals anything...gun or otherwise, including the vehicle...then causes injury with the use of my property, it's on them, not me. To hold an honest citizen liable for the actions of a criminal is absurd.

Even if you aren't held liable for it, do you really want to arm a criminal by leaving a gun in an easily accessible location? It used to be common knowledge that you didnt want to leave guns in automobiles. Now these kind of laws are being passed, and suddenly no one sees a problem with leaving loaded guns in cars on parking lots.

Why even bother locking your doors? It is a felony if they open an unlocked door and take the gun.

You ain't carrying as an emp at didknee wurld... Metal detectors etc... Plus their "security guards" are actual LEO of Reedy Creek (a disney enterprise). So you ain't dealing with a wannabe cop.
Brent

Back