Dishwasher to get rid of cosmoline?

I have had gunstocks that looked dry and clean and then would weep cosmo at the range out in the heat of the sun. I guess if it has had decades to soak into the wood, it ain't gonna flush out easy, like it was just on the surface. Apparently some folks just work at it awhile till they think they got most of it and then apply some non porous finish to the wood to hold in what might be left! If it was not a gunstock and something you really needed, for other purposes probably wood soaked in cosmo would be considered ruined and thrown away.

My apols to the OP ... I misread and thought he was dealing with a wood stock rather than plastic. You could do it with plastic but why bother ...

( Chris B ... you're talking my language! )

Again ... dishwashers are bad news on wood furniture stocks ... you can end up with a warped stock and not even know it. The warping of the furniture can be quite subtle or very extreme but heavy use of hot water ( allowing soak time ) and wood are a bad combo for any thinking man surely.

Same goes for oven cleaner ( chemical ) ... it's like using rusty steel wool to buff the paint job on a sportscar. Chemical burn on wood looks great!

If you choose not to heed this ... good luck.

Tiki.

A dishwasher’s water and heat have the potential to swell wood fibers so much that the metal will not fit back in.

Exactly. People forget just how hot the water in a dishwasher can be.

Back