Discuss your Coonans

Wow, thanks for the comparison next to the Beretta. Its much smaller than I anticipated. Always figured a Coonan was noticeably bigger than a 1911. I never plan on carrying a Coonan, just doesn't make sense to me. Like the looks of the compact better, but I'm sure I'd like shooting the full size more.

Wow, thanks for the comparison next to the Beretta. Its much smaller than I anticipated. Always figured a Coonan was noticeably bigger than a 1911. I never plan on carrying a Coonan, just doesn't make sense to me. Like the looks of the compact better, but I'm sure I'd like shooting the full size more.
The biggest dimensional difference is in the grip length (fore to aft)
This is too accommodate the much longer 357 cartridges
Next would be the frame length as it extends the full slide length
Finally there is the WEIGHT...it comes in at three pounds :eek:
If you've got T-Rex hands it's might be a stretch, but otherwise it fairly normal

Maybe that's why I thought it looked so big. The fore/aft real estate on that grip. And 3 pounds?!? Its not enough to turn me off, but criminy that's gotta be approaching Desert Eagle territory. Gonna need suspenders to carry that thing.

Still want one!

I have had the Classic with a 6" barrel for about 4 years. I love it and use it as a carry.
I bought the .45 when I moved to Idaho. The gun store I went to here had 6 of them. Put the money down, waited 20 minutes for the BG check and walked out. It is far more accurate than I am and is very comfortable as a carry also. One of the nice things about the pair is they use the same hostler.

Ive always had a soft spot for the coonans, and wanted one. But I had the same feelings of the desert eagle in .357 of which I have had 2 and sold 2. The DE, like the coonans, to me are novelty guns. I replaced my last DE with a 10mm gun that has almost twice the capacity in a smaller and lighter platform, is just as powerful with the right loads, can shoot lighter “38 special” powered loads, is cheaper, and isn’t ammo sensitive.
IF I had the money to just buy a novelty, then I’d consider it. But for functional uses, it doesn’t fill the need as well as other options imho.

Dude, Coonan have severe issues. :eek:
Even as a new owner I'm not concerned with Coonan's present issues. As far as warranty, I usually diagnose and fix troubles myself anyway. It isn't a complex gun and other than main components like frame, slide and barrel, it uses a lot of 1911 parts. Any good 1911 mechanic should be able to fix it.
I have noticed that the price of extra magazines has skyrocketed from $60 to $120 - 140 on eBay and GunBroker. I was showing my Coonan to the lady behind the counter at my indoor range, mentioned mags would be hard to find, and she says, I have two of them brand new. They were a stocking Coonan dealer. She sold them to me for $60 each, so I'm covered in that department.
Coonan sold every 357 they produced, so someone is going to get them going again. If they never build another, we'll, have you checked the price of an Automag lately. It's treasure.

If you read their statement, they said all should be well by November. I guess they didn’t mention November of what year.

Seeing how it is now March, the prognosis may not be good for them.
Read the other Coonan thread
That message has been up since last year
Quite a few customers were caught up in this and had to go to great lengths to get refunds via their CC company
No replies to calls or Emails, no nothing
At minimum I hope someone buys them out and restarts production

On the other hand, with our current future as to our 2A rights.....I wouldn't invest :(

^^^^ I don’t need to read another thread, as I am aware of all the ongoing issues with Coonan.

They have taken a lot of money from people and never delivered. Guns went in for warranty work and never returned.

As far as I am concerned, they do not deserve any respect.

Red-5, can you start another thread titled "Why I hate Coonan"? and let a few of us enjoy this thread?

I get your point, maybe even well founded, but that's not what this thread is about.

I have a Coonan Classic. I only have a couple of things to add to the discussion.

Mine was jamming regularly with full power loads. I emailed Coonan and their reply was that the guns like to run wet. They instructed me to pool some of the FP-10, that comes with the gun, on top of the barrel at a couple of spots near the muzzle and breech. So far, in the few outings since, I have had no jams.

The other thing was that my magazine catch broke. I'm glad I sent the gun in and got it back repaired before the current fiasco started.

Other than that, it has a superb trigger, decent accuracy, and draws attention when I go to the range.

Got mine a couple of years ago, and had to send the slide back when it got a small crack on the inside of the slide (they changed the slide cut after that). No problems since then. I run full power loads. Mostly 158gr coated, but some 110gr JHP over 296 to light things up when I feel like it. ;-)

I can't add anything about the new guns, or the "new" company. I have a Coonan Model A, one of the first 1500 guns made, and while I don't shoot it often, I've had no trouble with it.

DO NOT USE BLAZER ALUMINIUM cased ammo!!!

Back