Disassembling A Deer

The amount of hair flyin' all over the carcass, plus the stickin' the knife indiscriminately into the rear hams as a convenient place to empty his hands was not that impressive. More of a thing folks do when they won't be eatin' the meat.

Anyone know why he made the two incisions halfway down between the ribs towards the end of the clip? Maybe for hangin in future processing??
I noticed that too. "Handles" of sorts to pick up the carcass with. Great idea!

Birch

That is impressive. Not a fan of him sticking the knife in the hams though.

I did a Pronghorn hung up in about 5 minutes, gut and skin. When they are warm, and you have good tools, SO much easier.

It used to take me 10 hours to skin and butcher (deboned, wrapped in the freezer) an elk by myself. Got better knives, cut down the time a lot. Now I can do it in about 4 hours. But I have a processing station with the ability to hang 5 animals in my garage. Takes me about 2 hours to do a deer if I stick to it.

I am lazy, generally I field dress a couple hundred yards from the house and then, skin & quarter etc. right next to the water hydrant in my yard, a quick hosing with water does wonders form hair and bloody spots. But I am lucky that I can do it at my house. I almost always field dress on the ground, don't like the guts pushing out when I am try to split the cavity open, however I have done hogs that way, skin them lying on their back and open the body cavity to where just a membrane is holding everything in, then when hanging up stick my finger in and give it a downward rip and it falls out nicely. I've never timed myself in skinning or gutting and don't plan to, I'll happily take my time, stopping to get a fresh chew of Redman (Which is the real reason to wear rubber gloves when gutting or using the non-flush facilities in the woods) and maybe straighten up to let my back rest occasionally.

That guy is amazing. I field dress mine while it's laying on the ground, and I bet it takes me 15 minutes to do that LOL!

Back