Dirty Harry’s rifle - Winchester mod 70 - .458 Winchester Magnum

Same here. Some hunters here bring me their rifles before the season openers to get their gear cleaned and zeroed in for a particular distance with a particular cartridge. They do plenty fine with first-shot one shot kills.
Make that at least three of us . Zeroed is zeroed .

Make that at least three of us . Zeroed is zeroed .
Well I wouldn't say zeroed is zeroed. Each person shoots differently, and has slightly difference in POI. I just bring it on paper for them, so that they have a chance to dial in the last bit for themselves.

Friend insisted he could sight in his rifle after some work on the rings. After 40 rounds he was still off paper at 25yd. Very frustrated. I bore sighted and put it on paper the first shot after. He then burned another 10 rounds or so to zero at 100yd.

He swore he had bore sighted with a laser insert. I never trust those things. A good collimator is the only exception.

-TL

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Well I wouldn't say zeroed is zeroed. Each person shoots differently, and has slightly difference in POI.

Zeroed is zeroed, until you change the person pulling the trigger. Then, zeroed MIGHT be zeroed, or it might be a bit off.

Shooting from field positions is different than shooting from a bench. All kinds of factors change when different people are shooting the same gun and ammo. Sometimes it makes no practical difference. Sometimes, it does.

He's an example, a friend of mine and I were playing a shooting game. The object was to drive tacks at 100yds. He had a Ruger 77 in .30-06 and I had a Remington .308. Both rifles had 3x9 scopes, and both had been "zeroed" to hit exactly point of aim at 100yds.

We traded rifles after each shot. Shooting was done from field positions, mostly sitting or prone. Interestingly, we were both exactly 1/2" off shooting each other's rifle. And, it was consistent. The amount of difference and the consistency were probably just serendipity, but the point is, each of us, shooting a rifle sighted in for the other guy, neither or us was exactly on target. Noticeable because we were shooting small targets, not deer.

Over the years, I've boresighted many rifles. Many just by eye alone. Some with a collimator. Never used any of the laser gadgets. Always put me on the paper and CLOSE to the point of aim. Final adjustments are always made from shooting results. Lining up the sights with the bore is a good start, but does not guarantee the bullet will hit exactly on the point of aim. Sometimes, it will, and that, too, is serendipity.

As to a "Dirty Harry" gun collection, the OP has done a reasonable job, considering you cannot get the "right" Auto Mag without having it custom made.

IF the bullet lands in the middle of the crosshairs that rifle is zeroed . Never said a man is zeroed, way too many variable . I thought that was common sense ? Hard to find all the fly crap in the pepper, but you guys sure try . Maybe get out and get some fresh air ?

IF the bullet lands in the middle of the crosshairs that rifle is zeroed . Never said a man is zeroed, way too many variable . I thought that was common sense ? Hard to find all the fly crap in the pepper, but you guys sure try . Maybe get out and get some fresh air ?
Sorry guy, I didn't mean to give you hard time. It was just a discussion.

-TL

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Friend's father loved tang safety Ruger 77s, and thought .243 was the best cartridge ever. So a friend thought it was funny offer him a tang safety 77 Tropical in .458 as collateral on a loan.

He ended up keeping it. That rifle was bad for the big kickers-the sling swivel was on the forend, and the safety cut the web of your hand.

Well, he was an experienced handloader, and noticed the case capacity was nigh identical to .45-90 WCF. So he used that data. A 300 grain cast at 1650-1700 is pleasant out of an 8 1/2 pound rifle. A 220 grain cast for a Ruger Old Army mikes .457, and over some Blue Dot and filler, it's fine for clobbering tomato patch possums discretely.

Two of his sons have used it to kill deer. Pleasant to shoot, doesn't damage much meat, but you are carrying a 9 pound or so rifle with ammo, low power scope, and sling. I doubt it's had a round of factory elephant through it since around 1988.

Friend's father loved tang safety Ruger 77s, and thought .243 was the best cartridge ever. So a friend thought it was funny offer him a tang safety 77 Tropical in .458 as collateral on a loan.

He ended up keeping it. That rifle was bad for the big kickers-the sling swivel was on the forend, and the safety cut the web of your hand.

Well, he was an experienced handloader, and noticed the case capacity was nigh identical to .45-90 WCF. So he used that data. A 300 grain cast at 1650-1700 is pleasant out of an 8 1/2 pound rifle. A 220 grain cast for a Ruger Old Army mikes .457, and over some Blue Dot and filler, it's fine for clobbering tomato patch possums discretely.

Two of his sons have used it to kill deer. Pleasant to shoot, doesn't damage much meat, but you are carrying a 9 pound or so rifle with ammo, low power scope, and sling. I doubt it's had a round of factory elephant through it since around 1988.

I had that same rifle once upon a time. I fired a few factory 500s through it. Recoil was a big slow push. OK, it was a BIG slow push. I loaded some 350 grain Hornady round noses at medium 45-70 velocities and they were a LOT more pleasant to shoot. I took a deer and a couple of pigs with it and it worked well. I eventually got tired of lugging a 9 lb rifle around for deer and got a 308.

Thank you for the video, always good to see an Auto Mag in action.

I am curious, what ammo were you using??

I have a couple of tips about shooting the Auto Mag (if you already know them, please disregard)

NEVER drop a round into the chamber and let the bolt slam shut on it!! NEVER!! The gun could fire!! ALWAYS feed from the magazine.

Do not let the bolt slam shut on an empty chamber. It's hard on the gun, and something could break. Possibly the bolt rotation pin. I had it happen, once.

Ease the bolt forward by hand when closing the gun empty.

it looked like the revolver handled the load better than the semi-auto recoil wise. that's odd.

I wouldn't call it "odd" without knowing exactly what loads were fired in each, the .44 Auto Mag was designed to shoot loads heavier than the .44 Magnum. Early ads said it would shoot a 240gr @ 1600fps and some of the ammo actually would do that.

You won't find those loads in any standard loading manual these days. The round was designed to run at 50,000 psi, a bit hotter than the .44 Magnum.
My experience is that the guns last longer when run at less than max.

nice video! thank for sharing. it looked like the revolver handled the load better than the semi-auto recoil wise. that's odd.

*** and still no switch blade. you'll never catch the Scorpio at this rate.

Thank you for the video, always good to see an Auto Mag in action.

I am curious, what ammo were you using??

I have a couple of tips about shooting the Auto Mag (if you already know them, please disregard)

NEVER drop a round into the chamber and let the bolt slam shut on it!! NEVER!! The gun could fire!! ALWAYS feed from the magazine.

Do not let the bolt slam shut on an empty chamber. It's hard on the gun, and something could break. Possibly the bolt rotation pin. I had it happen, once.

Ease the bolt forward by hand when closing the gun empty.

I wouldn't call it "odd" without knowing exactly what loads were fired in each, the .44 Auto Mag was designed to shoot loads heavier than the .44 Magnum. Early ads said it would shoot a 240gr @ 1600fps and some of the ammo actually would do that.

You won't find those loads in any standard loading manual these days. The round was designed to run at 50,000 psi, a bit hotter than the .44 Magnum.

My experience is that the guns last longer when run at less than max.

Thanks guys, glad if you enjoyed the video.

I shot some original Norma ammo, box says 1350 fps

76698cb92403329b0408d7eaba375c21.jpg

9cfe97674bc8317e436e4d20b4fee6bc.jpg

dfcfe2b92a8d66a01b0f8817544f1163.jpg

ba4c1eda75d605c5589f0b15db0fc13e.jpg

8fd15902c4d7d8af971d2765c77f7a90.jpg

And a few of someone else’s reloads (I know I shouldn’t)

6115fc3f2a90ace59e81f930b853828b.jpg

ec570f84d6e57a08e4b10953081bc829.jpg

4b0b51d2abee96c82367689c798dd651.jpg

27af64d55be57c23909bca149f5c0d76.jpg

743f19fe097c4c4ffccfe98d96fce653.jpg

34fa90f5516782dd9b05029efbc94003.jpg

I did check the Norma 1020 powder load, from the Speer #8
manual, 1970

0de8293a822998da0b0414ab77e4f2cc.jpg

I really appreciate the story especially the recoil, I just recently inherited a 338 win mag and for me that is way more recoil than I care to be subjected to, I will have to sell the rifle, not much use for it here in NH anyway..

The alternative to a rifle with too much recoil is a muzzle brake. A Muzzle Brake has its own drawbacks, but it does tame recoil.

Thanks for the info about the Auto Mag ammo. The Norma stuff was considered the best made factory ammo. Back in the day there were only two brands of factory ammo made, CDM (Mexico) and Norma.

CDM made one million rounds. I don't know how much Norma made, both are long out of production and are considered valuable collector stuff.

I've clocked some of the CDM stuff it does about 1300fps with a 240gr "hollow point" (virtually a FMJ with a small hollowpoint) that does not expand at all, but does penetrate a tremendous amount.

Thanks for sharing!

The alternative to a rifle with too much recoil is a muzzle brake. A Muzzle Brake has its own drawbacks, but it does tame recoil.

Thanks for the info about the Auto Mag ammo. The Norma stuff was considered the best made factory ammo. Back in the day there were only two brands of factory ammo made, CDM (Mexico) and Norma.

CDM made one million rounds. I don't know how much Norma made, both are long out of production and are considered valuable collector stuff.

I've clocked some of the CDM stuff it does about 1300fps with a 240gr "hollow point" (virtually a FMJ with a small hollowpoint) that does not expand at all, but does penetrate a tremendous amount.

Thanks for sharing!

Indeed I have a Savage 111 LRH in .338 Lapua Magnum, the muzzle brake is extremely efficient. But it’s painful for those standing on the side

b9cc6924dbd2ffa19353915750c541f5.jpg

I'll bet you were everybody's favorite at the range that day!
You want to see people pack up and leave, you should have seen the day I showed up at a silhouette shoot with my 10" 357 Herrett Contender! After the first round, the guy next to me asked if everything was all right. He thought my gun had exploded! After 5 rounds, people were talking to the range officer to get me moved to the end of the firing line, out from under the cover. Nobody wanted to be on the line with me!
Nice, but I'll stick with 45-70 for big bore. .458 is too much.
I guess that makes me a wuss. The biggest I like to go any more is .375 H&H. The big boys hurt so much more after 60.

Back