Dirty Harry’s rifle - Winchester mod 70 - .458 Winchester Magnum

Classic12

A long long time ago when I was very young shooter, the local gunsmith arrived at the range with two scoped hunting rifles he was sighting in for a customer who was going on a safari in Africa.

One was a Weatherby in .460, the other one a Winchester in .458. He was kind enough to let a few of us youngsters have a go with them. Needless to say it was a blast and a kick. And I remember the 458 being a lighter rifle and kicking more than the 460.

And obviously dirty Harry Callahan used one (unsuccessfully though) against Scorpio.

Fast forward 25 years, I decided to see if I could find one, so I placed a WTB ad and within two weeks a gentleman offered me a new one for sale. Well new is relative since the serial number indicates it was built in 1967, just one year before I was born, and has a few tiny handling marks.

Price was $ 1700. It also came with NOS Burris rings and mount. I’m not sure I will put a scope on it. Firstly this is not a long-range rifle and the open sights are more than adequate up to one hundred metres. Secondly the scope kiss in the face is a very real hazard with a rifle like that, kicking like a mule.

be2d6aff965c946c0dc499d3ebe5b990.jpg

cdad46db26aa37c834600f706cbfdc29.jpg

0fac8a2035a325eb1ae1dc61f1d6c73d.jpg

e015c3e06e8a8a149d03d94de396918a.jpg

66bddb0f86bd268bb22d2cdfc143f8b0.jpg

Since I had recently bought some cheap ammo for it ($ 1 per round) I took it straight to the range.

The first three shots below the bull’s-eye were taken at 25 m just to get a feel for where the rifle hits. The last two shots above the bull’s-eye were taken at 50 m. In both case standing, as it is the best way to absorb the massive recoil.

1bdc1b8c7d173fe19ba4c2358520149c.jpg

01a04998aea4b4ef5897232602622816.jpg

Now I have dirty Harry’s revolver, semi auto pistol and bolt action rifle. If anyone has a nice harpoon for sale, hit me up.

b16ffd5660c8575dc9a531aa16382d87.jpg

268d6f3ce88e884c7ee14148469f4c75.jpg

Congrats , that is one impressive trio . Great story also , been a huge Clint fan since I was a youngster . Dirty Harry on the big screen with a large popcorn w/ double butter , now those were the days .

Thing of beauty, love the collection. That particular rifle and caliber would be significantly more expensive around here.

It's not uncommon to buy 458s that haven't been shot much. I once bought one that came with a box of ammo - 19 unfired and one empty case.

Indeed, I had the feeling that most people who bought one of those would fire it once and think “nah, not for me”

My father had one and sold it before he passed…would sure like to have it. What a monster in recoil, he loaded some really hard hitting stuff, don’t remember what it was but the recoil was amazing…loved that rifle. Often thought about picking up one, but have no reason other than I think it would be neat to have/shoot, however I want a Sharps 45-110 a lot more…we’ll see. Fantastic looking gun!

Congratulations on yet another fine firearm.

Winchester Model 70 Super Grade. (post 64, push feed) Not exactly a common item.

Keep some elephant ammo for when the Mammoths return, (they will :rolleyes:) I do nearly all my .458 shooting with 400gr cast slugs, loaded to approx 1800fps (or less), accuracy is excellent, recoil isn't bad, and power is sufficient for all but the biggest beasties.

Handloading lets you run the .458 at anywhere from .45-70 black powder load levels on up. Do select the right bullets though. Jacketed bullets intended for the .45-70 are seriously overdriven at .458 Win Mag velocities.

"...sighting in for a customer..." You cannot sight in for somebody else.
"...customer who was going on a safari in Africa..." We had one of those in the shop I worked in years ago(nearly 40 years ago.). Guy just had to have his own M70 African. Buys the rifle(despite having never fired one). Picks it and one box of ammo up on a Friday evening. Saturday afternoon he's back with the rifle, 18 loaded rounds and 2 empties asking us to sell it for him. Empty case were more than $1 per round then. $50 per 20 as I recall.
"...Harry Callahan used one..." Like animated cartoons, you can do anything in a movie.

Now you need a LAWS rocket.
Like animated cartoons, you can do anything in a movie.
It's easy to shoot things in movies, the guns have no recoil. Look at Jesse Ventura in Predator firing a mini-gun from the hip. Not bad, 300 lbs plus the weight of the ammo.:rolleyes:
Saturday afternoon he's back with the rifle, 18 loaded rounds and 2 empties asking us to sell it for him.
That's how I picked up my 8mm Rem Mag. 2 rounds down the barrel. THe first time I fired it I figured out why the guy traded it.

It's easy to shoot things in movies, the guns have no recoil.

They do, and they don't. Sometimes the actor simulating the recoil do a better job than others.

If you watch that scene in Dirty Harry closely (it is in the dark) you'll see the .458 Harry was shooting DOES have significant recoil, to the point where it hinders Harry's follow up shots and plays a part in Scorpio escaping.

"...sighting in for a customer..." You cannot sight in for somebody else.

Yes you can, and I did. Get it on paper and close. The customer will do the last bit when gets the rifle back. Many of them can't get back on paper after playing with the turrets, even with box after box of ammo.

-TL

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

If you watch that scene in Dirty Harry closely (it is in the dark) you'll see the .458 Harry was shooting DOES have significant recoil,
I remember the scene well. No, you even said it yourself
Sometimes the actor simulating the recoil
Faking it. Even if it looks pretty good, it's still fake.

Yes you can, and I did. Get it on paper and close. The customer will do the last bit when gets the rifle back. Many of them can't get back on paper after playing with the turrets, even with box after box of ammo.
Same here. Some hunters here bring me their rifles before the season openers to get their gear cleaned and zeroed in for a particular distance with a particular cartridge. They do plenty fine with first-shot one shot kills.

Back