Dilemma

kraigwy, the reason that many of us speak of 300 to 400 yards is the difficulty for the average shooter to estimate the range and dope the wind at longer distances.

Again: The "average" shooter. :)

i know when it comes to rounds it always ends up a ford vs chevy debate.that wasnt my intention. was just trying to see if my line of thinking was correct about the 2 rounds i was looking at. as far as why i chose to limit to inside of 500 yards. there are to many variables beyond that even for those who know how to judge distance and dope for the average hunter.

Since both of these calibers are equal to the task you have outlined, you need to look for the differentiators. Consider wear & tear and possible corrosion when used in your intended environment. I'm pretty sure hunting in Alaska is not like hunting whitetails in the Midwest. For some good insight in this I recommend going to 65Creedmoor.com and ask for help from member 'Cold Trigger Finger'. He lives in Alaska and hunts/shoots quite a bit. He could give some good insight in what to expect when hunting/shooting in Alaska. He also reloads for a variety of firearms and can give you the lowdown on loaded ammo, powder & bullets for whatever you hunt. Probably has some good hunting loads info as well.

Having had both of the OP's calibers in my household, i would say the 308 Win.
1) less recoil than 7mm Rem Mag
2) less expense for ammo, and or components.
3) for the distances stated, will get the job done.
4) life of components, and especially the barrel. (I typically get about 5 reloads on a Rem Mag casing before it hits the recycle bin)

If i know for certain i'm not shooting more than 400 yards, i reach for my 7mm-08 AI, and leave the Rem Mag at home.

Did i just reccomend a 308 over a 7mm Rem Mag??
Need more coffee!! :eek:

Back