diffficulty seating second charge

Curtis,

Just tryin to get a good understanding here...are you having trouble loading after only one shot? Or a string of shots.

The reason I'm askin is even when I was experiencing crud ring issue's, I could at least get about three shots off before I could start feeling the crud ring forming.

FWIW,
It has been quit a few years back when I was having crud ring issue's and was having them out of two separate rifles. Per a conversation with a fella by the name of Dave(I think) at Hodgdon Powder, he explained to me that not seating the load firmly enough was the main culprit in crud ring issue's as well as using to mild of a primer(#11 when 209 should be used) not completely burning all the powder. And finally said that using pellets are more prone to crud ring issue's. Simply cause you cannot compress the load like using loose powder.

Again he's very informative, easy to talk to and could possibly help ya out saving you some time and $.

I cannot seat a second charge without swabbing the bore. I have been shooting muzzle loaders for 30 odd years, I own three rifles. The first was a present from my wife, a T/C Thunder Hawk SS w/synthetic stock in .50 caliber. My second was given to me by my PaPa (his rifle) the same year he passed away, a T/C Renegade in .54 caliber. The third one is the problem child, not really, if I am hunting farm land or any area I can get a 175 yard shot I know this rifle and load will perform it's job if I do mine. I hunt with this rifle even though I am "handicapped" with swabbing after each shot, be it first, second, etc. It adds several seconds to my reload time as you would imagine but I use that time positively as I can calm down a little more and get a read on my situation. I am hunting this year with my Thunder Hawk, 240 grain Hornady XTP in front of 90 grains of Pyrodex P, and using CCI #11 magnum caps. My maximum range with this rifle and load is 125 yards. It is topped with an old Gander Mountain 2.5X, "TV" view scope. The only modification I made to the Renegade is changing to a peep sight as my vision declined as my years increased, I'm sure some of you know what I mean:) I shot a load of 90 grains Pyrodex and the 425 grain Hornady Great Plains or Buffalo Bullet, shots both the same, maximum comfort range is 75 yards. The long range gun is a T/C Omega SS, laminated wood stock, with a Simmons Whitetail Expedition 3X9. With 100 grains of Pyrodex RS and the 300 grain Hornady SST, swabbing the bore with a damp patch, on the range I use T/C #13, in the field saliva, after every shot this rifle will shot sub-MOA groups.

You asked in your first post if there was a less powerful 209 primer. If you are using regular shotgun 209 primers then yes there is milder 209 primers. Most of the 209 primers made specifically for m/l'ers are less powerful/hotter then regular shotgun primers. And the m/l'er primers were developed for the exact reason you stated you heard from your fellow m/l'ers and gunsmiths.

Too, there has been some thought that the regular shotgun primer was so hot that it not only slightly push's the load forward but the ignition is so hot that the sabot may be melted a little leaving melted plastic in the bbl. Forming a plastic crud ring rather then a powder crud ring.

Again, the Remington Kleanbore Muzzleloading primers are an example of a m'l'er primer and at about $8/ 100 would be a cheap, fast investment if it fixes your situation.

Read the fine print on the box about halfway down just under where it says '209 size- 100 count'.

Last edited:
Thanks for the input shortwave. It makes since that it could be plastic from the sabot. I am going to get some of the Remington primers and try them. That is the first change I will make because I am using CCI 209M primers now!I need to look at all the suggestions you and the others have given and make a plan for my next range session. I will only change one component at a time and will record the results. Getting ready for the big storm so it will be next week before I can get to the range. Stay warm, and thanks again everyone.

I will only change one component at a time and will record the results. Getting ready for the big storm so it will be next week before I can get to the range.

I'm thinkin that's great game plan.

Ready for our snow to hit as well. Supposed to hit sometimes tonight.

Generator full of fuel, wood stacked/covered and steaks marinating in the fridge for tomorrow.

Only thing I'm hoping for is snow for in the morning. Love deer hunting in the snow. Better chance of a longer range shot.

It's been in the low 60's here the last few days and the deer have totally laid down. Maybe they will get up movin tomorrow so I can once again see the results of that 250grn SST setting on top of the 95grns. APP. fired from the trusty ole' Encore. ;)

Goodluck and Make sure and get back with us on a range report.

I shot for the first time last weekend using a used CVA Bobcat & 777 powder.

I shot 10 shots in a row with a .49 ball and had no seating issues, ignition problems, etc.

I did notice a ring or something when cleaning at home but it was easily removed.

Back