Difference in caliber-- Savage 110 in 7mm Mag or .30-06?

Whoa! I detect some hostility here! :p
My comment was that I LIKE IT.
Period.

It's like deciding which one of your Twin Kissing-Cousins is better...
...the one with the bigger boobs or the one with the longer legs.
Everything else is pretty much the same! :D

So what did he buy?

My buddy just bought a Savage 110, when he bought it the man selling the gun recommended 7mm Rem Mag but I have been reading different forums and most people suggest the 30-06 caliber for this rifle.

Which did he buy? I'm guessing the 7MM? Or maybe the .30-06? Who cares? No insult meant, I'm just being practical. For the vast majority of us in real world hunting situations, there is just no difference. Does a 7MM Rem Mag kill an animal any deader than a .30-06?

I have been trying to figure out the significance in the caliber of bullet for rifles.

Good luck. Are blonds or brunettes prettier?

I'm just trying to illustrate that caliber differences and the like are largely a matter of personal preference in most cases. We're not comparing a .22 long rifle and a .458 Winchester, we're looking at two calibers that, within common hunting shooting distances, really are not different enough to worry about. Yes, there are some differences between calibers, if you're really on the ragged edge of performance, but for the vast majority of us, the best caliber is the one that has the best combination of attributes that we need.

I hunt with a .270Win, a 7mm Rem Mag, and a .308Win, I really can't see a difference at the ranges I shoot with any of them. Whichever one your friend bought will be a great rifle that will serve them well.

Back