Difference between Ruger Blackhawk and Super Blackhawk

micksis86

I'm looking at getting a single action revolver in 44 magnum with a 7.5" barrel.
As I understand it the SBH is 2oz heavier and thats due to there being more steel components in the revolver whilst the BH has some alloy?

So what i'm getting at is one better than the other?

I'd really like to get a Bisley model but from what I can tell on Rugers website they only offer the Bisley Hunter in a SBH and it has that hideous scope mount on it.

I'd like one of those but without the scope mount and preferably blued but i'll take the stainless it looks great in both.

is the scope mount removable or is it fixed to the frame?

Blackhawk has a alum grip frame thats pretty tiny vs the super having steel and more size to the grip frame.

Oh ok, Does the extra steel and the steel grip frame mean that the Super can take heavier loads than the normal blackhawk?

I used to have the Super in .44 Mag now the Blackhawk in .41.

The alloy part of the Blackhawk (grip frame) is a benefit over the all steel blue--I'll tell you why.

I had problems with screws coming loose on the grip frame of the Super along with RUST from the back of my hand along the rear stirrup. All steel blue shakes loose (use loctite) in time, but the aluminum keeps those screws tight because of the softer bedding when they are seated. Secondly, no rust problems or worry about sweat on the aluminum blued grip stirrups.

Thirdly, the gun is a bit lighter and that makes it nicer for me.

Fourthly, the ejector housing, also being aluminum instead of steel, stays put by the screw near the muzzle without me having to re tighten THAT--again, when the grip and ejector rod housing are of the heavier all steel metal you will have problems keeping ALL screws tight so use loctite if you go that route.

The New Model BH and SBH use exactly the same frame and cylinder size so are really the same gun. Internals are the same other than pre-lock vs lock hammer spring assembly... The BH is not offered in .44Mag nor offered with the Dragoon style grip frame. Since the frames are the same you can swap hammer styles, grip styles to your hearts content. Note the .44Spec flattop BH is built on the 'medium' frame.

The New Model BH and SBH use exactly the same frame and cylinder size so are really the same gun. Internals are the same other than pre-lock vs lock hammer spring assembly... The BH is not offered in .44Mag nor offered with the Dragoon style grip frame. Since the frames are the same you can swap hammer styles, grip styles to your hearts content. Note the .44Spec flattop BH is built on the 'medium' frame.

So your saying ruger didn't make BH 44mags?There are a few diffrences,trigger guard is diffrent on some of the SBH along with a non fluted cylinder.
SBH with non fluted cylinder and a short barrel
http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/21_49_118/products_id/70177

Heres a BH 44mag

http://www.centerfiresystems.com/ruger_handguns.aspx

Last edited:
So your saying ruger didn't make BH 44mags?
They did for a 'short' time from '56 to '63. For it's 50th Anniversary of the .44Mag, Ruger made a limited number of .44Mag on the large frame as a 'flat top' in 2006. This is not a Ruger cataloged item.

Again SBH and BH.... the width of fluted/non-fluted cylinders are the same. The cylinder frame is the same. All 'New Model' grip frames are interchangeable. I can add a SBH Hunter grip frame to my BH for example no problem .... or a Bisley grip frame.

In a nutshell, Ruger created the Blackhawk in '55 when it came out with the .357 BH Flattop on the medium frame. Then in 1956 Ruger came out with the .44Mag Flattop BH on the large frame. In '59 the Super Blackhawk was born with the familar dragoon grip and ears to protect the rear sight on the large frame. In '63 the .44Mag BH was dropped from the Ruger line and the SBH continued on. The .357 BH was still on the medium frame until the New Model came out in '73. From '73 to present, all BHs are built on the large frame. Then along came the .44Spec BH which is back on the medium frame. FYI, the small frame is the Single Six frame. The Bear cat is on it's own frame. :)

There ya' go ... a short history lesson :) .

Thanks for all the help guys. Got answers for most of0 my questions I think i've decided on The super blackhawk...I think. :D

Also according to rugers website they do make a blackhawk in 44mag however it's only the Bisley style blackhawk that they do this in.

So just to get this straight between the Bisley Blackhawk in 44mag and the Super Blackhawk in 44 magnum other than the steel components and the fluted cylinder and two ounces there is no difference and both with be capable of withstanding the same loads?

Go back and read as you are indicating that you want a .44. .....

What? I totally don't understand what your trying to say?

I totally zoned out and typed NM instead of OM. My bad.
That said I think everyone else handled your question. =P I took it as besides those features what was different. again sorry bout that.

What? I totally don't understand what your trying to say?
Only that OP should go back and re-read your reply as I thought you had explained it well enough. ...... :D

Be Safe !!

There ya' go ... a short history lesson

Thanks I know rugers history very well...I have owned or own lots of ruger revolvers.I was just wondering why you said ruger didn't make a 44mag BH.

Heres my 71 3 screw in 45 colt,its the first year BH 45 was born.(71-73)
2010-10-13_10-46-08_371.jpg

OP I think a SBH with the 4 and 5 8th barrel would be sweet,I'm think of getting one myself.SBH will handle anything you feed it.

Last edited:
Only that OP should go back and re-read your reply as I thought you had explained it well enough. ......

Gotcha! I thought you meant I missed something :D I reread the first post like 3 times. Thats why I figured I'd ask.

I was just wondering why you said Ruger didn't make a 44mag BH.
Well, I did miss the .44Mag Bisley BH which was introduced in the mid 80s. I apologize... However, I don't recall (memory could be faulty again) up until the Bisley BH and the .44Mag 50th Anniversary flattop, that a .44Mag BH ever left the factory since '63. All .44Mag since then have been 'labeled' SBH. Point I was trying to make though is all New Model BHs, New Model SBHs and Old Model SBHs are built on the same large frame (current exception being the new .44Spec flattop) . As you pointed out, the Old Model .45 Colt is also on the large frame (good to see you've removed the rubber baby buggy bumpers from your nice .45 Colt revolver ;) ). All will handle the same level of loads for given caliber. :) . Think I've beat this one to death :p .

More detailed reading : http://www.sixguns.com/range/Ruger.html

Last edited:
Pahoo, I'm not sure what you're on about as Venom's reply as much as I appreciate his contrubution didn't answer my question well enough at all.
As I did indicate that I wanted a 44 Magnum and as Ruger produce both a blackhawk and super blackhawk in 44 magnum i'm trying to decide between the two. First and foremost in that process was to assertain what the difference between the two models were. :cool:

Thanks everyone for your input questions answered appreciate it :) Even you Pahoo:D

OK. So far since 2004 there have been two "Blackhawks" released on the mid-size frame (similar to the New Vaquero or the 357 Blackhawks made before 1973). The first circa 2004-2005 was the 357 Flattop, the second was the 44Spl.

Every other "Blackhawk" from 1973 forward has been on the large "44magnum-class" frame.

There's an oddity out there that has a lot of potential as a customization base. That's the 50th Anniversary 44Magnum that's NOT marked "Super". It has the same small grip frame as the New Vaquero, but the primary frame is a flat-topped 44 Super-sized. Blue, 6.5" barrel. And CDNN still has 'em for dirt cheap, just a fraction over $400.

We now have confirmation that this was the first large-frame made with the new one-bore-at-a-time cylinder making process. Each bore was done with the same bit/reamer set, which greatly (SERIOUSLY!) improves accuracy over previous models that had all six cylinder bores done at once on machines with bit/reamers that sometimes didn't quite match :(.

NOTE: these 44Mag "non-Supers" are an exception to the usual rule: if the "warning label" on the barrel is UNDER the barrel on a large-frame Ruger SA it has the new cylinder making process. These mostly (or entirely?) had the side-barrel warnings.

This would make a great cheap starting point for something custom. Bone-stock, it's not really set to control real 44Mag horsepower levels, at least not in most folk's hands...but the fundamental accuracy and quality is there to tap.

Brownell's has a Bisley parts set (grip frame, hammer and trigger) for about $200, the barrel could be chopped as desired and you'd have a really cool custom piece for fairly cheap. Or if you can't afford major mods yet, there's at least one company selling oversize grip panels for that grip frame size (called a "Modern XR3") that extend the grip downwards significantly past the bottom of the grip frame. And they're well under $100. Add $35 from Brownell's for a SuperBlackhawk hammer and you'd have a very sweet gun if you like 6.5" barrels.

Jim... I now regret reading that post... Now I want a custom NM BH... I don't appreciate all this pain you put me thru... :D;)

Back