Difference between Cylinder Choke and Improved Cylinder Choke

you do know a shotgun isn't suppose to be a rifle right?
youre spread is to compensate for flinch and his movement past lamps chairs walls etc.
if im going to engage a perp in a house, with a shotgun, give me some spread!
cyl is my friend.
heck one ball is all it takes anyway. my goal isn't to make hamburger. the goal is to put him down 1st....get closer and then make hamburger.

youre spread is to compensate for flinch and his movement past lamps chairs walls etc. if im going to engage a perp in a house, with a shotgun, give me some spread

If you want spread down the hall, you are going to need a spreader choke tube. Unfortunately I cannot find one in current production.

I recall Yancey Derringer's sidekick Pahoo with a whippet under his blanket. It produced an even dinner plate size pattern at any range. It was always clearly seen against a wall, because he seldom if ever hit anybody, actual shootings done by Yancey with a hideout gun.

Likewise Wyatt Earp's (Hugh O'Brian TV show) deputy was smart enough to carry a shotgun and ride a mule. But like most sidekicks, was seldom if ever the decider in a gunfight.

Stuckinthe60’s posted: “you do know a shotgun isn't suppose to be a rifle right?”

You do know that sarcasm, as opposed to rational discussion where you present your facts and opinions, is a pretty poor reflection on your argument and character, right?

Stuckinthe60’s posted: “heck one ball is all it takes anyway. my goal isn't to make hamburger. the goal is to put him down 1st....get closer and then make hamburger.”

I had to read this several times to make sure I read it right. This opinion shows such a lack of good sense and judgment that it is startling.

The goal is certainly not to “put him down 1st .... get closer and then make hamburger” and I wish you the best of luck in justifying that to the investigators, prosecutor, or jury.

I also have no desire to risk the life and safety of me and my family by operating under the assumption that “one ball is all it takes” when it comes to an invader in my home, or a predator that I need to engage outside of my home. Anyone breaking into my home will be assumed to have done so with the intent to harm me and / or my family. They will be met with every ounce of fight and fury that I have. I will greet them with full shock and awe. I don’t want to risk the safety of me and my family with a spread of .33 caliber pellets in the hope that “one ball is all it takes”. I want the invader hit with a tight pattern. I want them hit with each and every one of the 8 pellets per round that I fire at them (while they are on their feet, not after they are down). I want one big hole, or at least 16 .33 caliber holes (8 going in, 8 going out) in the invader of my home. I want to assault each of that home invader’s senses with the maximum overwhelming fury that my .12 gauge can deliver. And that intention is not for the benefit of the first invader of my home. The first invader is DOA, it’s fully for the benefit of anyone accompanying them. I want any co-conspirators to be so overwhelmed by the sheer devastation enacted upon the first home invader that the others decide “Screw this, there’s nothing but death for me in this house”.

As to the tight pattern as it relates to outdoor home defense, the Versatite (FliteControl) wad extends the effective range of the 00 buckshot and allows for much greater effectiveness against four legged predators that I may need to engage. Your suggested strategy of “one ball is all it takes“ with regard to bears or panthers, both of which are common in my area, will do nothing but make them mad.

Last edited:
this is not sarcasm. its a fact.
people with HD shotguns tend to think a shotgun is a rifle and try to plant one good shot.
the whole purpose of having a shotgun is to send multi-projectiles downrange. shot gives users a window of error in a stress situation.
HD isn't deer hunting with slugs.
bottom line, shotguns with sights are aimed.
shotguns with buck shot are pointed.
people can talk science, loads, theory, and all the hoopla all they want.
bottom line....in goes the buck, pull the trigger. close works.
our military has been using cyl for generations. I did. 1974 to 1997. if its good enough for my military...its good enough for me. and was.
hope this helps.
you got my opinion. im sticking to it.

Last edited:
Be careful outside for defensive activity. If the perp is 'outside' the threat may well be over, but not always.

Where did you read the information on using that ammo with a modified choke ?

Last edited:
The question of how Flite-Control buckshot patterns are affected by choke constriction is often asked. This video from Buffalo's Outdoors is one of the better comparisons I've run across. Here cylinder through full chokes are compared with loads representing the polar opposites of buckshot load design on the market. The results are consistent with what my own patterning has shown.

Jump to frame 9:55 to view the results of this 20 yard patterning comparison.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sjWcB79Bp2s

What ever you shoot, practice, practice, practice... Also buck shot is too much for indoor defense at those ranges. Even #8 bird shot will penetrate interior walls at this distance so practice is all that more important.

Years ago I had a roommate that was a former cop and he showed me how he loaded his shotgun. The first 2 rounds out of the tube were #8, followed by 2 #4, then 1 BB, then a 00 Buck and last but not least a slug. I bought the same model gun and I load mine pretty much the same today.

Shooting any gun indoors is dangerous. So you have to be sure that you don't miss, and practice helps a lot. However, you should select your load based on how it's going to work if you don't miss.

Any kind of staggered loading shows indecision and a lack of confidence. If you need a shotgun, it's the worst possible time to start experimenting until you find something that works. Make up your mind and fill the shotgun with it. (hint: 2 3/4" 00 Buck).

Back