Difference between 45 acp and 45 colt?

Post #3 had interesting data for .45 Colt saying that the bullet diameter is at most .456", which being the owner of a Taurus Judge I now understand why the throats are way over the typical .452".

With how bad the leading is, I've been looking into using plated Berry's bullets and the 200 gr .45's are pretty cheap, but they're ACP bullets. From what it sounds like there's not much different in loading ACP bullets into Colt cases other than they don't need a roll crimp, so does that mean a taper crimp is best?

I currently have 4 .45 caliber handguns...

S&W 4506
Springfield M1911-A1 Milspec
S&W Model 1917 Brazilian model
S&W Model 25-5.

All are .45 ACP, expect for the 25-5, which is .45 Colt.

I don't mix bullets between the two cartridges.

"Thus, if you have a larger area head and a proportionally smaller peak pressure, you can wind up with the same number of pounds of force starting the slide back. "

Yep, and that's why spring balance is so important. Browning understood that. Some modern makers don't.

Just found some very interesting information in the 1935 Peters catalog.

The 200-gr. .45 auto load has been discontinued and the only round shows the standard 230-gr. ball.

They offer the .45 Auto Rim for S&W and Colt revolvers with either a 230-gr. FMJ bullet OR a 255-gr. lead bullet...

And the S&W Schofield, which is still being loaded, is offered with a 255-gr. lead bullet; the 230-gr. lead bullet that was the military loading has been dropped.

Back