Did I pay too much for a Mosin?

$325 sounds a bit steep for the condition described but the antique rifle market is strong so you didn't get hosed. I payed $190 for a 1944 ishy century refurb in late 2014. Nice barrel, recrowned, typical somewhat sticky action. You have a cool piece of history, dont sweat over the cost..

Reply to dakota.potts

One thing that worries me is where you said it's hard to close the bolt on a live round. That sounds to me like improper headspace (too short) and could be an indicator of future issues.

Thanks for pointing that out, I'll have to get that checked sometime in the near future.

I only have a dozen Mosins for a dozen years, but I hunt and do gunsmithing with a guy who has been buying Mosins since they were $7 in a barrel in the 1960s.
He says he has never seen any headspace problem with any Mosin.
I know I have not seen any.. except the ones I was rebarreling and in the process of headspacing.
I was getting pre war Tula Mosins for $55 at BIG5 in the first few months of 2002. If they are worth $300 now, that is 13% compounded annually.
I have been principally into Google and Amazon stock over that same aprox period, they have done 18% and 35% compounded annually respectively.
Mostly guns, guitars, and Gold appreciate at 3% compounded annually.
My guess is that the Mosin run up is over. AR15s doubled in 1994, but in the long run, they got back on the long term 3% exponential curve.

Probably because nobody knew what the headspace was supposed to be. I had ammo/headspace problems. I bought a case of the first soft point ammo that entered the country. It was nothing more than military ammo with some hokey soft point bullet stuck in it. I had an old hex receiver gun and the steel cased ammo started to chew up the face of the barrel because of the burrs on the rim.

I have made two headspace gauges for the mosin.
One regular, and one plus a turn... for those too lazy to take the extractor off.

attachment.php

Yes, I made a reamer for a 7.62x54 years ago. Probably still have it. But, back before the internet, you were flying by the seat of your pants. I just bore the headspace area into the chamber. It saves a lot of grinding. I made all my gages for rimmed cartridges. Ever try to contact a CIP rep before the internet? The main point is, before the internet you had to sort of average your dimensions from a multitude of ammunition.

The nagat rifles are good guns, but not at that price.

Don't worry though. In a few years, they will be worth even more and you can sell them for a profit.

One of our gun shops in my area, just bought a crate of M91-30's. The clean of cosmoline non-laminates are going for $265, and the clean laminates are going for $299.

Mitchell Mausers, are selling scoped M91-30 sniper rifles for $999

I paid more than the "Going price" now and then. If you want it and don't want to wait for it, so what. I would not have paid that, but I bet I bought some 99' Savages for prices most people thought was way too much. I simply do not care for Russian rifles. When people see them for sale at a certain price, it means nothing. There are many online auctions to compare to. The "Going price" is what the guns actually sold for, not what was asked. I never bid on a gun that has a reserve posted on it.

Paid $180 for . . .

About three years ago I paid $180 for one with a hex receiver from 1938. I got it from a huge gun store that had several cases of them and they were on a "get -the-customers-into-the-store" special. So . . .

Live well, be safe
Prof Young

Sounds a little steep, but it is what it is right now. Mosin's are going up same as SKS's
Best to just be happy you have one since it wont be long and you wont be able to find one.
I dont have a Mosin Nagant pistol yet. I should have gotten one when they were $99. Now they want $200.
So if I want one I may have to make a trade now.

Glad I got all the Mosin carbines I wanted a couple years ago.
Just love a nice M38

Back