Did anyone have experience with Korth .357 mag revolvers?

lamarw... I love my Colt Python 4" but I think S&W is the best value. Currently I only have 686 and 586. What would you recommend as my next new 357 mag revolver to have?

It is hard to beat a Model 27. I prefer the older models, and a 27-2 would be perfect in the barrel length you prefer. My favorite, in my accumulation, is a Pre-Model 27 with a 3 & 1/2" barrel. Then also in an N-Frame is the more plain Model 28 Highway Patrolman. Both models are the same revolver with the exception of some of the frills to make the Highway Patrolman more affordable especially for law enforcement use.

In a K-Frame, I would go with either a Model 19 or a Model 66. Better yet, get both.

Attachments

• 100_4595.JPG
    100_4595.JPG
    962 KB · Views: 42
  • 27Presentation.jpg
    27Presentation.jpg
    220.3 KB · Views: 40
Here is a picture of my Manurhin MR73. I am pleased with it and have nothing negative to say about it.

The only negative is the few times I have posted it on different forums there is always someone knocking it. It will likely happen here.

I simply don't let it bother me.

I have a sizeable accumulation of S&W revolvers to include a number of triple locks and numerous newer revolver in Model 29's and Model 27's to include a Pre-Mod. I do believe the MR73 is a better built revolver and that is not a knock against S&W.
Having handled both the Korth and Manurhin I'd buy a MR73 in a heartbeat over the Korth. The Korth was over $5,000 but didn't fit me well and I didn't care for the trigger. The MR73 was every bit as nice as I expected. If they would make .22 LR's again, I'd buy one today.

I don't like them.

Maybe it is just me, they are designer sidearms that went overboard and to me they are butt ugly. Compared to a Python or the MR73, which has that classic functional look, the Korth are just too CNC'ed, albeit all handmade, to my taste.

$2600.00 for a 6-shot boat anchor? :eek:

Upscale or not, ... I'm just not seein' the attraction. :rolleyes:
hmm, is there any reason one might prefer a revolver in a life and death situation, say as shield man on a breaching team? Nah, can't think of a single one . . .

Vertical-Stovepipe.jpg

Butzbach said:
"hmm, is there any reason one might prefer a revolver in a life and death situation, say as shield man on a breaching team? Nah, can't think of a single one . . ."

I used to train tactical teams. I never spoke with a member of a French team, but read several interviews with them. Apparently their protocol at that time for entry teams was to empty their revolvers and then transition to other firearms - for precisely the reason Butzbach illustrates. They described both extreme reliability of the platform and faith in the .357 Mag cartridge as two reasons for that protocol.

Someone who has worked closely with them can chime in and and confirm or deny that paradigm, but that was what was published. (Selection probably also has to do with the fact that Manurhin revolvers are manufactured at the d. Armes de tir Chapuis facility located in Saint Bonnet Le Chateau, France...)

Last edited:
hmm, is there any reason one might prefer a revolver in a life and death situation, say as shield man on a breaching team? Nah, can't think of a single one.
:rolleyes:

Pics of MIMbers malf-ing don't count. They're expected to.

That's why the real, hardcore 1911 honchos don't let their fellow honchos buy MIMbers. ;)

back to the topic at hand............
some models were specifically designed for match.
the ratzeburg models seem to be the preferred and desired by shooters and collectors.
anyone have one?

I have always been a Python fan. It pains me to say so but the Korth is a better revolver. I do think the Python edges it out in the looks department.

Neither one compares favorably to a Smith&Wesson "Registered Magnum", in my estimation.

Closed minded Americans have a hard time believing that anything could be better than their precious Colt or Smith. The simple fact is that they are better. Just like a Freedom Arms is better than a Ruger, a Janz/Korth/Manurhin is a better made revolver than Colt, Smith and Wesson, Ruger or anything else. They're made to tighter tolerances with much more precise machine work and hand fitting. Their heat treatment is such that guns wear very, very slowly. Smith's are known to shoot loose with a few thousand magnum rounds, the aforementioned German and French guns do not. Yes, sorry but they are more accurate.

When you discuss cost is when things get interesting. People have no problem dumping a grand on a stupid smart phone that is worthless in 2yrs. They don't think twice about buying a new car every few years, which accounts for tens of thousands of dollars in lost equity. They might smoke two packs a day or drink a pallet of beer every week but to spend $5000 on a single firearm is just a travesty. One thing to remember, these guns are not made for rich people, they're made for people who can only own a handful of modern handguns. If you could only own one handgun, would you want it to be a $500 Ruger, or would you want something nicer that lasts longer?

Back