Did a rifle pick up at Cabala's - Is it usually this bad?

The key is going during off hours. I have the luxury of working from home. The Cabela's is about 25 minutes away. If I get there around 10:00, the gun counter is pretty quiet.

That being said, I haven't bought a gun from Cabela's in years. Their prices are just too high IMO.

I do buy reloading components from them when they go on sale. Reloading stuff is behind the counter, so an associate must help you.

Been OK for me

I have gotten a couple of screamin deals at Cabelas on used guns.

The one I passed on I am regretting. It was a perfect Beretta Black Onxy trap for 1595 that's like a grand or more off.

I was concerned that it might have barrel regulation issues and the library guy said no warranty so I passed.

I have come to realize and accept Cabela's does something very well, but it isn't what most of us want.
Cabela's serves the person who is getting out to camp for the weekend, going on a university backpacking trip, wants to try fly fishing, paddle three miles in three hours down a creek in a 9 foot kayak, or thought owning a gun would be cool. They don't serve the true enthusiast in any category. People who don't really have an interest in any of it can still go in the store, look at the fishies, and grab a bag of candied nuts, a soda, and some elk jerky on their way out the door. All items for which Cabela's might make higher profits than a new firearm.

Sometimes they have deals. Sometimes I can't find my headlamp @ 230pm on a Friday when I am going to be setting up a tent three states away in the dark that night.

They probably don't want to be in a news story "walked into cabela's and fifteen minutes later I walked out with an AR, ten mags and a military style assault can of ammunition"

The one gun store I liked in my area just closed last month. There is another in my area that is reasonably good. One guy does transfers, but doesn't know much or have much in stock. I don'tt hink a new shooter would be any better at those than a cabelas. They have a place in the market.

I've purchased two firearms from cabelas and both took over two hours , never agiain. The first time it was during a sale and on a weekend so I thought they were just busy. The second time it was during the week midday. Same bs. Every step of the way was 30-40 min wait.

I've been around for 6 to 8 purchases.
Most were very slow, even if using the back door (the Gun Library).

The quickest one I've ever been around for took about 25 minutes, and even then... it was only because we went through the guys in the Gun Library to speed up the process on a fairly slow day.

For used guns, always go through the Gun Library. For new guns, always ask the Gun Library guys if they're available to help you. They usually are....

Oh. One last thing: Cabela's sucks.

I've purchased a half dozen firearms from Cabelas. I've been treated fine with a couple exceptions. They have problem Gun Libraries yet others that are well run. I continue to see their glass as half full.

.02. David. :)

I too, have purchased at least a half dozen guns from Cabela's over the years. Archery equipment too. There will always be the days, where it takes more time than I want. But that's the exception. All in all, the service is usually quite efficient.

Being a business owner for almost 35 years, I can certainly say, that the problem with threads like this, is that it's usually the dissatisfied who will respond. Then to some, it becomes fact.

I bought a rifle from them s few years ago. Took about an hour. My normal dealer takes about 5 minutes. About 4 minutes of that is me filling out the form.

In September my son and I bought 2 police department surplus Mossie 500's 2 weeks apart for fairly short $'s. His was a 590 and mine is a 500 ATP. Both were in like new condition. Each purchase took about 1 3/4 hours. I thought the length of time for the purchase was because it was Massachusetts, but apparently not. I wouldn't have bought them there but I hadn't seen anything close at the LGS. Unless I come across another super deal that is not available at the LGS, I won't buy another gun there!

I despise purchasing from Cabella's. Worst experience I have ever had. I walked in the store, chose my pistol, filled out the background check on their tablet.....and was sent to the area where one picks up a purchased firearm. I was to wait for my name to be called.

After 2 hours..... yeah.... 120 minutes. I finally walked up to the desk and asked about my status. Guy says....let me check. He says... oh yeah, you were cleared 90 minutes ago...let's get you checked out. I was so pissed, I asked why no one called me, as I was waiting on the bench the whole time. He just shrugged his shoulders...no apology. I was tempted to walk out of the store and not purchase.....but since a background check had already been completed, I decided I better complete the sale.

The Manager had to come from the front to "approve" the forms. He turned to me and thanked me for my purchase. I asked him why I had to wait two hours to get the gun and he said.... "That's just our process. We don't want to sell to someone in a hasty manner."

I'll never buy there again. I don't care how good the price is. Not worth dealing with their stupidity.

Tbe only times I have had long waits it was bursting at the seams busy and crowded. Those times took over an hour as the people there were going as fast as you can witbout messing tbings up.

I don't have a lot of experience with Cabelas, (have only purchased on weapon, an AR15) but was pretty happy with the service and had minimal wait times. Could have to do with the semi-rural location though, Dundee, Mi., South of Detroit.

Sad decline in customer policies with no help in sight. No longer a customer and have ceased using their credit card.

Local gun store

I'm surprised that US citizens are having such a headache buying a rifle. 2 days ago in Vancouver B.C. l bought a 12guage (used) and a case . Less than 10 minutes.

Our local gun stores are all about service, and only hire experienced shooters.

Could just be the Christmas season??

Or. The merger of Bass Pro and Cabellas has them all spun around.

Purchased a rifle from the OK City Cabela's a couple months ago. Did the 4473 online. Within 25 minutes i was going out the door.

Seeing how this has cropped up again............

I just bought a revolver from Cabela's last week. Fantastic sale price, that beat any internet price by $70, and most by $90. Was a Black Friday sale that lasted about a week. I was probably out the door in less than 10 minutes after picking it out, and having them grab a new in-boxed model. Might have stopped to look at the wild life exhibits on the way out, don't remember.

To be fair, the transaction was fast, and required no online paperwork. But then..........is was a black powder revolver....

In the meantime, after all of these years of going to Cabela's, and the fact it's now owned by Bass Pro, it hasn't seemed to make a lot of difference yet. I still like the place, and sometimes, those sales just beat everyone else. Picked up some reloading equipment last year during Black Friday, that just couldn't be beat.

I normally do my purchases through a friend’s shop and never at a box store. However, the local Bimart advertised Henry .22 lever for $249. I needed one for a grandson gift and gritted my teeth as the young man produced a sheet with all the steps he was to take. The 4473 was whipped out by me and the clerk called a female asst mgr to check every line of the 4473. Then the call was made and info recorded...back came Miss asst mgr and went over all the lines again. I wrapped the rifle and put it back in the box. Asst mgr tried to sell me ammo then we walked to the check out counter with her in possession of the rifle ( there is a register in sporting goods) and I paid the tab. Miss asst mgr again took control of the rifle although I informed her it was now my property, we walked out of the door and she told me I could take possession. I informed her we had gone this far perhaps she would walk it to my truck and save me the physical exertion...she refused. All this precaution was taken so the customer who just happened to have a Sig P 938 holstered under his sweat shirt would not becom a threat inside their store with the unloaded rifle.
In their favor this involved process took less than a half hour.

Up N a ways there WAS a LGS that had been in business for 25+ yrs. He knew most customers and did not make the accuracy of 4473s a priority and the ATF nailed him. He is no longer in business. Had a BIG auction to get rid of hundreds of used guns. I cant imagine how that days sales were handled..

I've bought several firearms from Cabela's.

Sometimes it takes forever so it seems and sometimes its in and out with no delay.

Just depends on how busy they are.

The delays are costly as I browse around and end up getting stuff I dont need. I've even commented the reason for the delay was to get me to browse, which isnt a bad idea if you are the store owner.

My favorite LGS always forces coffee on you, even encouraging you to stop in just for coffee. Another good business practice. You have to do something while drinking coffee. If youre like me its finding stuff to buy you dont need.

My favorite LGS always forces coffee on you, even encouraging you to stop in just for coffee. Another good business practice.

I attended a shop and range like that for about a decade. It wasn't just that the shop owner and staff were happy to see you (or simulated being happy) there was a cadre who seemed always to be there.

The effect was that of a club, with a sort of loyalty flowing from the relationship. I know I spent more on a gun there than I could have at Walmart, but they had my business. When the city tried to shut the range down, I represented them for a pittance and kept it open.

It sold to someone with different ideas, who didn't like "regulars", and who was transparent about seeing every customer as a sheep to be shorn. He hasn't done very well.

Back