DI vs Short stroke piston in practical use

The most advantageous and creactive part in a DI system is the gas tube, the way I see it. It can be formed to connect two points that are out of alignment.
If those two points are out of alignment your gun is going to have problems sooner or later, regardless of how you bend the tube.

Last edited:
If those two points are out of alignment your gun is going to have problems sooner or later, regardless of how you bend the tube.
I have uppers with low profile gas blocks that require formed gas tubes. It is still too soon for them to have problems, I suppose.

-TL

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

I have uppers with low profile gas blocks that require formed gas tubes. It is still too soon for them to have problems, I suppose.
Ah--you mean the tube is bent to conform to the handguard/gasblock clearance. That doesn't necessarily mean the two endpoints are out of alignment (often happens as a result of misaligned barrel extension pin and port).

The hole on the gas block is lower than the hole in the receiver, so they are not aligned. The tube has 2 bends; one goes up and one goes flat. Even with any other sorts of misalignment, I really don't see much issue as long as the bends has enough radius.

-TL

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

I really don't see much issue as long as the bends has enough radius.

There isn't any issue. Conservation of mass flow says the amount of mass you put in one end of the tube is the amount of mass you get out the other end of the tube. The bends add volume to the tube so that does effect pressure.

All of the gunk a DI systems blows into your action is the excess mass it takes to drive the system. You would have to add a whole lot of volume to that tube to have any issue.

Back