Detective Special for ankle gun?

p7Actuary

Hey all,

I've been shopping for a snubbie, and I think I've found a pretty Colt Detective Special.

I was going to use this new snubbie as a backup gun, for both ankle & pocket.

Is this gun (20-22 oz ?) too heavy or too big for ankle carry?

Also, can this gun handle +P loads for defense, or must I stick with the standard loads?

TIA,

p7Actuary

Howdy,

Those little pistols are great guns. I used to know lots of LEOS who have had one on the ankle just in case. I used to carry a Colt Cobra as mine. They are in the same family of pistols.

I would bet, and I suspect others will correct me if wrong, that shooting regular loaded .38 spcl. isn't going to be a problem. I'd keep the +P stuff for actual carry.

Gator

It depends on what you mean "for backup".

I carried mine for years on patrol but never in an ankle holster. Running, stepping out of the car into puddles and snow, plus the gun gets a lot of dust on it makes it a problem. It is a bit heavy for casual type wear but you can probably get used to it. They`re +P rated.

Gentlemen, Listen-Up!!!

I think that any Colt Detective Special, Cobra, or Agent
is way to valuable a firearm for exposure to ankle carry. With
these D-frames being out of production, I would almost bet
they would demand a premium price from most dealer's?
This especially holds true for the older models; without the
shroud and/or ejector rod housing.

If you must tote a firearm around your ankle; why not a
Taurus 85UL? Just my thought's, FWIW!!!

Best Wishes,
Ala Dan, Life Member N.R.A.

Yes you can use Plus P loads and it's not to heavy, you will get used to the gun after you wear it a while. I have carried a stainless Model 60, which is pretty heavy for years as a LEO backup gun, in an ankle holster.

7th

The Dick Special is rated for 3000 rounds of +P ammo, and then needs to be sent in to the factory for a checkup.

The Detective Special was always considered as the finest snubby ever built. Certainly the most accurate.
There are plenty of them still out there, so if you can carry the weight, buy one. You won't regret it, they really are a fine handgun.

Ala..I've carried a smith 60 on my ankle for years without so much as a scratch...the pants and holster afford plenty of protection. Unless you're jumping in puddles or tromping throgh snow....I think it should be okay....of course, I live in sunny california so maybe I can't speak for everyone...

dont shoot,

Which brand ankle holster have you been using for your snubbie?
I've been considering the Null holster...

We gotta have a backup for our P7's...right?! :D

Best,

p7Actuary

You got that right Actuary....in fact, my P7 comes back from ford's hard chroming on Tuesday...matte finish, mill mark removal and he even put back the serial number and date code after shaving down the slide.....150 including 3 mags....and he did it 10 days...anyway, back to the ankle...I use the renegade model 500...it is the best I've come across and I've been carrying a snub on my leg for 18 years...it has a very wide velcro band (not neoprene like the galco, which can make your leg sweat in hot weather) with sheepskin padding and a soft leather pouch for the gun...i found that molded leather holsters look nice, but add bulk...i can wear mine over a boot with straight leg jeans...also, at 45 bucks, it's a great deal....i can't believe some of these custon guys charge 100-150 bucks for an ankle rig.....the model 500 has an elastic strap that snaps ove the gun but it is only for putting the gun in (you can also get one with no strap that is a bit cheaper, but might be less secure)...once it is on, to draw, you simply yank it out...the rig never moves on my ankle, the soft leather doesn't harm the finish on blued guns like the galco, alessi, etc. and most importantly, when your pant leg rides up, it looks like an ankle wrap so it never attracts attention....here's the website of the company that sells it. good luck....glad I was able to help with the "leg work"...

http://emergencysec.com/holster12.html

BTW...your mileage may vary with the dick special since it is bigger than a j-frame and may not conceal as well with straight leg jeans...you may want to consider keeping it as a hip gun and picking up a j-frame airweight for the ankle...my 60 only weighs 19 ounces but after borrowing a 14.5 ounce 442 it felt like i was wearing nothing...traded the 60 in and got the 442....also for ankle carry, I don't like having a hammer that can snag on the pant leg.....

Don't Shoot,

Thanks for the info, I appreciate it! I've been watching your thread over at the P7 Cult...you're p7Newbie there, right?

I'm not too worried about the hammer on a Colt DS, I'm looking at a couple of DS's where each already have bobbed hammers. That'll shave off an ounce ;)

BTW, we don't wear jeans here in Dallas from April to October...too hot :( I think it should conceal under some khaki slacks or in some cargo short pockets and when it gets cool then I can stick with the good ol' M13 IWB.

I primarily want the snubby as a backup ankle or pocket gun. Also, I think the slightly heavier gun would help with recoil. I once wrecked the base of my thumb joint shooting my buddy's little Sig and it took over a year before the ache went away.

Best,
p7Actuary

P7..newbie...that's me....my dad carried a dick special in the NYPD for 34 years, mostly on his ankle...his two sons broke tradition with the the 5 shot j-frames. I still yearn for a DS in mint shape for an occasional hip gun when the P7 is a bit much, but I still feel it is a little heavy for the ankle and bulky for a pocket....if you could find an airweight Agent, that would be help with the ankle but I don't see too many of them around.

BTW...Horace still has my P7 and is sending it back on Wednesday....even though I didn't ask him to, he is putting back the eagle logo (at no extra charge) along with my serial number and date code...If I get a hold of a digital camera, I will try and send you a pic...

For snubbies, less is more. I hate a thick rigid leather holster for such a small gun. You can't beat a simple Uncle Mikes IWB with plastic belt clip...got mine for $8.29 plus shipping (best to order a few things since shipping is 5.50 up to 2 pounds) from www.10ring.com

:D LOL

Yes...I saw the pics over at the Cult (Park Cities Tactical Forums - Cult of the P7 to those of you who have yet to see the P7 light ;) )

It's very nice!!! Thanks for remembering me.

I check out the Cult postings daily...I am always there, even if I am not much of a poster!

Best

I've been carrying a Glock 19 with standard cap mags as an ankle gun for a few years. You get used to the weight.

The Det. Special should be just fine. Have been looking for one myself.

Back