Detailed Steyr M40 Update - long

Even though I like the Steyr M40, I plan on keeping my Glock 31 357 with a Ciener .22 conversion kit. It's a very flexible setup, especially if I pick up a .40 barrel for it. But since I have a Steyr M40, why bother :)

I bought a Steyr M40 this past Saturday at a gun show near Atlanta. It was a toss up between a Glock 30 and the M40. I went back and forth between the two tables for an hour. In the end, the superior ergonomics of the M40 won the day. It fit my big mitt perfectly, unlike the finger-grooved glock.

I also bought several boxes of ammo, some Remington UMC 180g for target shooting, and some Hydrashoks and Corbons (135g & 165g). Off to the range I went.

First impression: what a great trigger! Smooth, two stage, with only 1/8 inch letoff. Far superior to the mushy glock triggers. Recoil was sharp and controlable.

Unfortunately I had the same problem mentioned above: it throws the brass every which way. I shot 80 rounds total, 50 of the UMC, and 10 each of the self defense loads. The gun ate them all flawlessly and only beaned me twice with the brass. I was mildly disappointed by this, but not surprised. My gun has serial number 27xx, much later than the serial numbers mentioned above, so I was hoping I had missed this problem. Oh, well.

The other problem was a bit more subtle, and I noticed it almost right away once I started shooting, but not when I was handling it at the show. The frame has a seam running its entire length, as if the plastic was in two parts joined together. The seam was off by just a hair, a fraction of a milimeter, tops. When the pistol recoiled, it felt like it was cutting into the web of my hand. It did not break the skin, nor mark it, but I felt it. Later that night I had the gun home and a few minutes with a needle file smoothed it out without marring the surface noticibly. Problem solved.

Overall, I really like this gun. Once the brass-flinging problem is solved, I'll be a happy camper.

I can't wait till the M9 and .45 ACP version (M45?) come out.

I should be getting my 16xx M40 back by next week. Herbert said he was going to flair the ejector port. New guns already have this. Someone mentioned that anything under 3000 is the old style. But I don't know how accurate that number is.

If it's a simple two week fix, no big deal for pioneering a brand new gun. :)

I agree. This is a minor problem on an otherwise excellent pistol.

Did they charge you anything to fix the brass ejection problem or was it covered under warranty?

I just picked up my M40 today.......what a beauty!!! It's a 32xx,I'll let who ever cares, know if the ejection problem has been fixed.

Cig1ar

Please let us know how the higher serial number M40's perform.
I actually had the chance to get number 1999 last weekend. I thought it would be cool to have #1999 bought right at the end of the millenium. But, I want to hold off until they get the ejection "probelem" (very small problem) fixed and on the shelves.

I, too, had a chance to fondle a M40 last week. I agree that it is everything a Glock is supposed to be.

The feel was very sweet, and the trigger pull very crisp. I LIKE the safety configuration. One flip of your trigger finger (without the finger being on the trigger), and you're ready to go. The integrated lock ought to appease the antis a little as well.

I was very impressed, but a little wary of seriously looking into owning the gun. It hasn't undergone the rigorous testing that both Glock and HK put their designs through. I might not ever drag my gun through the mud, but in the event of that Dem-telling-the-full-truth-on-a-blue-moon instance where I need the gun to work after getting some crud on it (or that it WON'T go off when I don't want it to), I want the full confidence that it will work. I have that confidence with my USP.

jth

------------------
"And a Cartridge in a Bare Tree..."

cig1ar,

so what's your experience with your new high serial number M40 like? Inquiring minds would like to know....

It will be worth the raves when some neutral party puts several thousand rounds through several guns under severe conditions with no problems. Something Glock, SIG, HK, and even Beretta, have all done several times.

Not until then will I give it a try. :)

------------------
>>>>---->

Brokenarrow,

I still say you should buy or borrow a Steyr M40 to test it out a little. I acknowledge your concern about how all the parts will or will not hold up. And the 10,000 round two-day test by the designer is not really classed as a neutral test, is it? :)

Back