Delivery Times on Tyler T adapters

ckpj99

I sent in an order for a Tyler T grip adapter a couple weeks ago. I was wondering if anyone has ordered one recently, and if so, what was the delivery time on it. I can't find anything on their website other than a few references for allowing extra days for certain styles.

A year or so ago, I ordered a couple and the wait was about 2 weeks.

Recently though, I had an order for a couple that took three months.

In both cases, the check was cashed very quickly.

There's been a lot of discussion about Tyler's production and delivery schedule over on the S&W Forum. Based on their track record for the last couple years I'd say your delivery time is Thursday…which Thursday and what month/year it will be remains to be seen.

Dave

A couple years ago it took close to 8 months for me to get mine. While the wait was long, and I was constantly lied to about when my order was coming, I guess it was worth it because there's really no one else making non-plastic grip adapters. Good product, awful business practice.

they rely on passive placating type folks who will excuse their poor business practices.... how they stay in business is a real secret.

Thanks for the input. I almost I would have asked this before I ordered them, lol. It seems strange that they would update their website saying that most everything is available and label it "last updated: APRIL 7, 2014" if they are going to be slow to ship.

I could have ordered a second-hand Tyler-T or some other vintage grip for not a whole lot more than a paid them.

Very interesting. If I knew they weren't treating customers right, I probably wouldn't have placed an order with them on principle.

Anyway, thanks for the feedback. Seems like a pretty big opening in the market. I'm surprised that with the relatively low cost of aluminum manufacturing, plus all the cool finishes and hydrographic designs people are doing these days that someone hasn't introduced a competitive product.

Heck, I think all of us revolver enthusiasts would even buy a plastic version if the price was right (under $10) and we could tack it on to a Midway or CTD order.

Are there other options? A quick Google search brings up BK Grips, which appear to not like chemicals.

I have an old plastic Pachmayr grip adapter, which is what I'm currently running, but I've heard the plastic can get brittle over time.

I bet I could get Shapeways to 3D print a set in steel for less than $100.

they rely on passive placating type folks who will excuse their poor business practices.... how they stay in business is a real secret.

Tyler's survives because they offer a unique, well-proven product for which there has been a steady demand lasting several decades. There is really nothing quite like a good DA revolver with a set of service-sized stocks and a Tyler T-Grip.

I'm guessing the 'start-up costs vs profit margin' ratio--and the widespread preference for semiautos--is why we haven't seen its replacement.

Having made that 3D printing comment, I'm starting to look into it. I'm assuming the concept of a grip adapter isn't copyrighted since so many people make them. If I could get a design made up, then I could just upload it to Shapeways and get it made in any material, including steel. I figure if it isn't an exact copy of Tyler or the Pachmayr and differs a bit, it would probably be fine.

Tyler's survives because they offer a unique, well-proven product for which there has been a steady demand lasting several decades. There is really nothing quite like a good DA revolver with a set of service-sized stocks and a Tyler T-Grip.
I'm guessing the 'start-up costs vs profit margin' ratio--and the widespread preference for semiautos--is why we haven't seen its replacement.

I don't think you meant to prove my point but thanks just the same. ;)

as long as folks know up front that their money will be taken right away and delivery of product is months away then the business practice isn't bad, its just the way it is.

I do not know everyone's initial introduction to the Tyler company, but for me I just cant accept the stringing along, unanswered e-mails or non returned phone calls from "customers" who've paid months before but have yet to receive their moichandise. clearly state on the home page and on-line order form that turn around times are 2-3 months and I will retract what I've said.

UPDATE: I received my Tyler-T grip adapter today, May 20th. So 20 days from check-in-the-mail to delivery. 15 days from check-cashed to delivery.

I sent an order in last Friday. Got a phone call this morning, they were having problems getting my address to pop up while trying to print a shipping label. He said he was going to write it up by hand and put it in the mail tomorrow.

JimmyR - seriously? Ask the photographer to take a photo of one of his favorite guns? Twist my arm why don't you.

SW102wTT.jpg

Smith and Wesson Model 10-5 2" barrel made in 1967

ckpj99 said:
JimmyR - seriously? Ask the photographer to take a photo of one of his favorite guns? Twist my arm why don't you.

Beautiful. Nothing like a T grip to make a classy revolver even classier.

And if I wanted to twist your arm, I would have simply said "pics or it didn't happen." :p

Thanks to this thread, I'm gonna put my order in the mail for a pair. Getting one for a S&W 65 and one for my wife's Model 19. I'll update here to help expand the sample size. for Tyler's turn around time.

So I still haven't received mine. Might not be their fault, though. My MIL mailed us something round 'bout the same time I was told it would likely be dropped in the mail, from Midwest City which is part of the OKC greater metropolitan area, and we never got that either.

Curious.

Anyone know if Tyler uses USPS or one of the other carriers?

Back