defensive/offensive non-weapons

One of my coworkers received a gift from a vendor that consisted of a clipboard made out of solid aluminum. The flat writing surface was made of 6061 alloy aluminum, about 3/16 of an inch thick and about 9 x 12 with a heavy clip (also aluminum) at the top to hold papers onto the board.

It was heavy and my first thought upon seeing it was "Jeez, that thing's a lethal weapon".

I think if I were to have one custom made I'd have them make it legal-paper size and cut a hole in the base to fit my hand so I could swing it. Don't even need any sharp edges to hurt someone with that thing. Put a Red Hat Linux sticker on it or something so it looks like a trade-show giveaway.:D

Kevin

I am not sure if they will let you have one on a plane, but in any other situation, I like having a small fire extinguisher. Not only do you have a blinding powder, but a gas that will displace the oxygen that an attacker needs to breathe. Nobody in this country can deny your having one in your home or vehicle. If they try to, I am sure your homeowners/vehicle insurance company would be glad to make money off the deal. ;) Taking your fire extinguisher away would be like welding a fire escape closed and would be a big risk.

IIRC Kevlar is not the right stuff for stopping edged weapons, as these will cut the fibres (bullets use different mechanics that subject the fibres to tensile stress, which they are designed to withstand).

Chain mail may be rather difficult to get past the metal detectors...

There are double bolt transverse locks for doors (work like placing a steel beam behind the door) that use quadruple beard 3" keys which would poke neat holes.

Gunter, I was thinking of kevlar because I have some gloves lined with kevlar that are made for police officers. The kevlar is supposed to protect (some) from cuts. I don't think they will help much from a thrust but against box cutters (and the like) it should work fairly well. I have also seen gloves for butchers and meat cuters that are kevlar and this supports my idea, still only good for slashing but that would give you some protection. The gloves for butchers are 4-5 layers but the police search glover are only one. I was thinking that 2 layers would offer some protection and be thin enough to avoid notice. The one knife fighting course I took was Sayoc Kali and stressed using the back of the forearm for blocks so it should work with my (very) limited training.

Is the idea not sound? Anyone have any experience?

Jake,
I was thinking more like a thrust, where its one fibre at a time against the edge.

A full blade chop would pit many fibres at once against the edge, so it should help more.

A slash or a tip rake would be intermediate.

Back