Defensive Cap and Ball

There was a while where I left my Uberti '51 Navy repro loaded at home as a backup pistol, and I was confident that it would work. Now, that role is filled by either an Uberti SAA repro in .45 Colt, or a S&W M1917 in .45 ACP - I've also had an Uberti Richards conversion repro in .44 Special for this role as well. Largely this is because all of those weapons have more stopping power & better reliability. If I had to go back to using the Navy, I would - it was a proven manstopper, if on the weaker end. Having said that, any of the other guns would be higher on my list.

Edited: added additional info to clear up any confusion re. the 1860 conversion repro.

Last edited:
I’m curious how it is you have a conversion for a .44 Spl working in that 1860 Army. It seems the grooves on the various “.44 cal” repros run around .450-.454” and the lands no less than maybe .440”, which wouldn’t be conducive to working with a .429-.430” bullet.

I’m curious how it is you have a conversion for a .44 Spl working in that 1860 Army. It seems the grooves on the various “.44 cal” repros run around .450-.454” and the lands no less than maybe .440”, which wouldn’t be conducive to working with a .429-.430” bullet.

Sorry, to clarify, it's a factory made replica of the 1860 Richards conversion chambered in .44 special, not a conversion of a cap & ball revolver.

If we devolve to cap & ball revolvers for self defense my choice would be a LeMatt-nine shots of 44 caliber through a rifled 6-3/4" barrel & 20 gauge shot from the 5-7/8" smooth bore barrel would be almost as good if not better than a brace of 6 shooters in a pinch, plus they're a classy looking weapon.

Same here Bob. Though I admit to still wanting a brace of em LoL.

Arnt they limited to around 20grs in the cylinder though??? That wouldnt seem like a lot for real work...

Howdy stranger!

From what I understand they hold about 5 grns less (~30 grns?) than a Remmy or Colt. Still not too bad if you use an energetic powder.

The cost is a bit much for a brace of them. And for the cost I think I’d prefer a Howdah 20ga.

Of course, this is TOTAL fantasy... Being the po' boy that i am LoL... Hell a single La Mat is total fantasy for me.... Still..

I have often thought, where I so rich as to not know what to do with my money, the perfect set up would be...

Two drop holstered Le Mats... Two Howdahs backing them up, either directly behind somehow, or crossdrawed from the middle of the back.. Two Kukris also cross draw MOB.. and two of my beloved 1860 snubbies with birdheads in a dual shoulder holster...

LoL.. A total walking bad ass!!!

Of course.. What the hell I would actually DO with such a set up.. Outside of the zombie apocalypse.. I really have no Idea.. But MAn it'd be nice to say I HAVE it just the same!!! LoL

Anyway.. I could have sworn that Mike said in one of his vids that he could only pack around 20grs with a wad... Ill have to go back and check if I get the time...

I had also heard that the modern LeMat could only fit 20 grains under the ball. Personally, I would avoid it if I had to use a cap & ball gun for self defense. They're great pointers but it has a beast of mainspring, if the one I've handled was any indication. To the point where cocking it one-handed, with that grip, isn't the easiest thing to do.

If we're indulging in fantasy, I'd say a pair of 1860 armies would do the job. They're reliable, resistant to fouling, good point shooters, and you can load them with conicals for better stopping power.

I only have a ROA and NMA, and love them both. But with as much as I’ve read how well the ‘51 Navy points I’d be inclined to ream the chambers to .40 and sleeve the barrel creating something along the lines of the few prototypes Colt created along with the .36 for the military to test. I have always liked larger calibers.

And I’d have Accurate Molds create another custom WFN design, though maybe a HP with an epoxied HP pin on the ram as another has done so as not to deform the cavity upon loading.

Barrel length wouldn’t be longer than ~5.5”. I’d want it as short as possible and still be able to effectively use the loading lever. Ideally I’ve always felt 4” was ideal for a sidearm for the woods. But I’ve had a fellow who cuts down these revolvers state he felt it took 3.5” to consume a proper powder charge (30 grns in a .44?).

I guess I was wrong. Could have SWORN that he said he could only get around 20grs in his La Mat, but went and watched one of them again today (hes got at least two) and he said he was using 25 with Dick Dastardly's tower of power loader.

Then I saw another guy who said he got 33grs in... So... Damn. Now Im back to cussing my poverty and wishing for a Le Mat!!!! LoL

Of course when anyone sees how something was loaded with X number of grains it’s hard to say just how that equates to what we individually know. My rifle measure dropped 30 grns for my NMA, but when I weighed it it weighed roughly 33 grns (3F Olde E).

20 grns is what a compact .36 cal typically seems to hold. For a .44 cal that would be really anemic.

2 Words ... "Premeditated Murder" .. Yep true story!!

It takes forever to load a C&B, so when some women used one on an abusive boyfriend she was found guilty!! She was ready, and therefor it was premeditated according the the prosecuting attorney. The ignorant jury agreed.
:confused:

2 Words ... "Premeditated Murder" .. Yep true story!!

It takes forever to load a C&B, so when some women used one on an abusive boyfriend she was found guilty!! She was ready, and therefor it was premeditated according the the prosecuting attorney. The ignorant jury agreed.
:confused:
I was a first responder to a shooting exactly like you describe. Abusive boyfriend was drilled thru the sternum by one ball from a .44 NMA. The prosecutor did not attempt to make the premeditation argument based on the loaded condition of the firearm. IMO that should be rejected by any thinking jury... “was the gun loaded?” Of course the gun was loaded! What good is a gun that’s not loaded!”

Every single instance of a defensive use of a firearm involved exactly the same degree of “premeditation”. In the instance I’m referring to, the woman was acquitted of second degree murder. Rightfully so. He was a @#$%@# and sooner or later he was going to kill or maim her.

Old friend always said "2 useless things an unloaded gun and an empty whisky bottle".
I have one loaded and capped at all times.

Back