Defending neighbor's property?

STAGE 2 you are missing my main point, it was not known at the time if this was a bad guy, owner, boyfriend who owned the house, what gives any citizen the right to go and take it on himself to find out by pulling his gun no less? You want gangs of armed do gooders out playing cop? What if its you and you're the one who gets called out by a well meaning neighbor with a gun, you gonna shoot him? Most people on here get bent out of shape when a guy in a gun store points a weapon near them while checking it out, how about some stranger on your property doing it to you? Are you so blind you can't see the right thing to do here is take plate numbers, descriptions and call 911? What is with some of you guys??

STAGE 2 you are missing my main point, it was not known at the time if this was a bad guy, owner, boyfriend who owned the house,

I was 100% positive that this was a real live "bad guy". My wife and I have lived across the street from her for 6 years and talk to her on a daily basis. I know everyone that comes and goes from her house, as she does mine. If it was someones house that I wasn't familiar with and had ANY doubt about it being something related to an ex-boyfriend or the like.. I would have left it alone.

Python Guy,

Gomer knows his neighbor. I understand your point that we as armed citizens have no rights to act as freelance policemen. His situation is different so lets leave out all of the hypotheticals and generalizations. If he didn't even know the name of his neighbor and went over there, than I might agree with you. Even if that was the case, I would call 911 and report it since the guy kicked the door in. If it was his house, then no harm done.

As I have already mentioned before, the only things he could have done better was to get the tag info first and possibly film or take pictures of the guy. I feel that pulling the gun may have gone a little too far and could be considered brandishing.

Gomer, I hope that nothing bad comes of your noble actions. Good job and be sure to stay on top of this guy's case. If he gets out of jail, he may come back looking for revenge.

Last comment from me, going over there and asking whats going on is one thing, pulling a gun on someone NOT threatening your life is WRONG, period. I've seen car's at my neighbors when they aren't home and asked the people can I help them, and who are they looking for, I never did it while pulling a gun and that's when the line was crossed in my mind. DO what you want, say what you want, change the story and facts a hundred times, you had no right to pull that gun.

Btw,
Just as some relevant info. After the PD arrived a few officers drew their guns and went into the house to "clear the residence". After that they came back over and took my statement etc. I told them EXACTLY what my actions were, even the part about drawing on the guy. They didn't say a word to me about pulling my gun. The guy plead guilty to something that was reduced and never really went to jail after the initial arrest. I still see him in town occasionally. All of this occured in a small town in North Alabama.

My reasoning for pulling the gun was that if he was brazen enough (high enough?) to kick open her door in broad daylight, he probably wouldn't hesitate to rush me or try and harm me.. I wanted him to know that I wasn't playing and wanted every advantage I could have.

gomer you did good. i grew up in dothan alabama and have been gone for 10 years. i love alabama and the people like you who defend neighborhoods and friends. in my part of bama, that guy deserves what he got. if you don't kick in folks' doors, you don't get guns pointed at you. in big city n.c. where i live now, the liberals have you afraid to use your gun for fear of suit or jail. i like the idea of, if you don't mess with other people or their stuff then you usually don't get drawn on.

STAGE 2 you are missing my main point

Actually, no I'm not

it was not known at the time if this was a bad guy, owner, boyfriend who owned the house

True, and he didnt run over there and start waiving a gun around at the very first chance either.

what gives any citizen the right to go and take it on himself to find out by pulling his gun no less?

You're confusing duty with right. As a neighbor and a private citizen he has no duty to investigate. However he does has the right to investigate.

You want gangs of armed do gooders out playing cop? What if its you and you're the one who gets called out by a well meaning neighbor with a gun, you gonna shoot him?

No, but I certianly wouldn't characterize this guy as an armed do gooder by any stretch of the imagination. While the people in my neighborhood don't carry (at least that I know of) you can better believe that if they saw this going on they would definately pay this guy a visit with louisville in hand.

As for me, well I can pretty much gurarantee you that if I was going to someones house to pick up something that was mine I wouldn't go about doing it in a way that made it look like B&E.

Most people on here get bent out of shape when a guy in a gun store points a weapon near them while checking it out, how about some stranger on your property doing it to you? Are you so blind you can't see the right thing to do here is take plate numbers, descriptions and call 911? What is with some of you guys??

I guess that myself and my neighbors just dont take well to crime. Im sorry that you feel otherwise, and thats fine. However I'm inclined to think that given the choice, a felon would rather hit your neighborhood than mine.

Police have their place and their job, and for the most part they do it well. That said, they cannot be there for everything or do everything, and I refuse to sit on my couch and suck my thumb because "all I can do it call 911 and give them the license plate". No one said go in guns blazing. However I'm inclined to think that if we were all a bit more socially responsible and cared more about the things that dont have our names on them, kids could still go out and play at night, and people could leave their front doors unlocked like they once did without fear of some crackhead or inner city kid stopping in for a visit.

Playing rambo is dangerous, but sticking your head in the sand is just as bad, if not worse for society.

Back