Defarb question

Djdasher, I got the mill from The Little Machine Shop The model is: 3900 High Torque Mini Mill. Check the site as they have many different machines. If I remember right, I paid about $650 -$675.

Thanks Billy, it is a lot fun. Working on these BP pistols is like working on a '67 Land Cruiser, just a pleasure.

Hey Doc, that barrel really cleans up nice doesn't! I working on getting that goat to poop a ruby!!

those little mills are great . i have a Micro mill and get my parts from The Little Machine Shop as well .
not only do i do my finish work on the dove tails with the micro mill but i also do alot of my barrel inletting with the mill.

nice job on the dove tail by the way

I have started bluing the barrel. I choose to use the Laural Mountian Browning method of bluing. I dampen the barrel with the solution and hang it over a steaming pan of water like in the first photo. I leave it for about three hours and than soak it in a pan of boiling distilled water for about five to six minutes. The barrel is lightly carded with 0000 steel wool.

The second picture shows the results of the first rusting and boiling. The last picture shows the results of the fourth rusting and boiling.

The barrel is dark gray, but no where near the black I was hoping for. Am I being impatient? It does not seem to be darkening that much.

Any suggestions or just keep on doing what I'm doing and be patient?

01.jpg

_D7K1505.jpg

_D7K1528.jpg

My barrel defarbing is complete as is the rust bluing. Patients and not giving up is the key to rust bluing!

The rust bluing was not difficult, however, it did take a while to turn black. I went through the rust, boil, card routine almost ten times. The first four or five rounds were a bit disappointing as the color did not change too much. It was just a darker shade of gray each round. Then all of a sudden it darkened. The next round darkened even more and by the time I got to number nine, it was good!

I believe my slow progress was due to not having a proper steam box. The metal was either too wet or too dry and not consistent. Some areas rusted deeper than others and etched into the barrel a bit. Next time I will hang my bluing parts in my wife's orchid greenhouse ... when she is not looking!

_D7K1468+a.jpg

_D7K1528.jpg

_D7K1532.jpg

_D7K1580.jpg

_D7K1584.jpg

Back