Deer Hunters: Are you satisfied now?

David,

Didn't mention anything about hunting from a stand. I don't have a problem with that at all. Don't know where that came from. Disabled folks should use whatever method is necessary for them to enjoy the hunt.

Art,

If Antelope don't jump fences than that isn't an issue in my book, because there are places in Wyoming, Montana, ect. that Antelope range freely and can be hunted without a high fence holding them in. The issue is that folks maintain ranches with high fences for money making purposes. The deer are carefully monitored and in some cases pre-selected for harvest. The method of what some call hunting and the image that it portrays is the issue at hand. We could debate this all day and the out come will never be the same. Some think that high fence hunting and hunting over bait piles is hunting and others like myself don't necessarily consider it hunting, it's more like farming for animals. Its all a matter of opinion and how we were brought up.

Ron

PA, my comment wasn't directed at you. BTW, I did some hunting in your neck of the woods years ago and did I have a good time!

Now for the people who spend the money to go to the Y.O. and such, where they charge a lot for the basic plus the additional for points and 'exotic' stuff, well, I can't afford it and really don't have much understanding of it because I personally have never done it before.
If it can be proven that certain ranches are causing overpopulation or some such, then I see no reason not to extend the number which can be taken or extend the season in those areas.
PETA and the other foolish people can note the mistletoe on my shirt tail. I'm not out there to impress them or anyone else. God's beauty and bounty impresses me every time I make it to the wild.

Somehow, I think a point has been missed here. What are probably the two most sought after achievements in the world of North Amercican hunting today? The Grand Slam in sheep and a record book Whitetail deer. I've heard of wealthy dudes who were willing to pay big bucks for an unregistered B&C book Whitetail head. This play for pay hunting is all about satisfying some wannabe hunter's ego trip. Nothing more, nothing less.
Would I ever go for a "play for pay" type hunt. I don't really know. Maybe, if a place had a meat hunt at a reasonable price, I would consider it. I've never rally been interested in a large set of horns, although if Mr. Big walked past my stand, I surely would take him. After all, he is made of meat too, isn't he? All things considered, I'd just as soon harvest a doe as a buck. They taste better.
Paul B.

We've actually been circling around three different subjects, here. One is the "farm" deal, with its potential for disease.

Next subject is the high-fence hunting ranches, for which the farm is not at all a necessity. True, some such ranchers are involved.

Last is the style of one's hunt. Here is where pure opinion jumps up and bites.

Ruark and Rutledge wrote of the joys of hunting with hounds. Others have spoken of the slow stalk--and I'm reminded of hunting and tracking in snow in the NE U.S., in Maine in winter. I prefer to walk vast areas and hunt, covering 12 to 15 miles per day (when I was a bit younger). Others have little choice but to sit; it can be on the ground near a trail, or up in a stand--this is commonly the case in Florida and Georgia, I know.

Much of the Texas brush country is absolutely impenetrable to stalking, unless you like crawling through prickly pear, mesquite, blackthorn and rattlesnakes. Few do. You hunt from an elevated position or forget about hunting. If the position is properly near a game trail, a feeder is not necessary.

But if you're a ranchowner with over a million bucks' worth of investment, you're likely to use a feeder to keep the customer content. You might not put him directly near the feeder, but if it's nearby it's a help. One way or another you MUST pay the ad valorem taxes to that school district, and those folks don't care whether or not you make a profit.

Lemme put it this way: Before I traded to raising condos instead of cows, the Austin Independent School District charged me $35 per acre per year for ranchland where my gross income from feeder calves was about $40 per acre per year. If I'd had a better place to let folks come and hunt, you think I wouldn't have put out enough feeders to attract every danged deer in Travis County, Texas? In a heartbeat!

My grandfather had bought the land for $24 per acre. Hadn't been for the taxes, I'd still be there. It ain't much fun, bein' taxed out of where you grew up. Ideals and morals don't pay your local "Tax Assessor/Collector" the rent he charges for your paid-for land.

And I hate condos.

Art

Don't kid yourself, Indians would plant food plots to hunt over, whether their name is Cochise or Mamaw or whatever. I never criticise the way another person hunts, as long as it is legal. There are geographical reasons why some states hunt different than others.
Some people don't like bow hunting. It is a legal means of harvesting deer and I don't have a problem with it. As a matter of fact, I consider it enjoyable.
To each his own.
Jim Hall

The primary issue here is the chronic waisting thing and the practices that lead up to it. I can stomach hunting over food plots, the feeders and the fences until we see something like CWD.

America has done a great job managing the herd of Whitetail-------------nay exceptional. Manage is just that, it means we constantly improve and monitor our results changing when necessary.

Now we are faced with a crossroad and it is time to make adjustments to our practices. This means putting our selfish desires aside and making sure our grandchildren enjoy what many of us have been privy to. CWD could ruin it for all of us.

What others do is beyond my control and it is their right. Hunting to me invloves starting in August each year patterning deer according to their sleeping and feeding habits. If I hit the rut that is a bonus. It is a challenge to get between a Buck's point A and point B for the kill. If I get to see wildlife period that's great and it I get a deer, that's a cherry on the Sundae. No feeders, no salt licks just preparation and opportunity.

I am in favor of feeding after the hunt during hard winters BTW.

aerod1: They probably did hunt over food plots but that was before Tom Thumb, Albertson's or Brookshires. :D

you should check out
http://www.qdma.com/articles/list.asp?CAT=FOOD

The Quality Deer Management Association (QDMA) is a non-profit wildlife conservation organization dedicated to ensuring a high-quality and sustainable future for white-tailed deer and white-tailed deer hunting. Founded in 1988, the QDMA currently has over 12,000 members in 48 states and several foreign countries including over 600 deer management professionals - more than any other white-tailed deer organization. The QDMA has developed numerous partnerships with state wildlife agencies, timber companies, hunting groups, and product manufacturers. These partnerships have increased both the awareness of the QDMA and participation in the Association's management philosophy, Quality Deer Management (QDM). Without question, the QDMA is rapidly becoming the most respected and influential white-tailed deer organization in the United States.

The QDMA promotes:

* Safe and ethical hunting.
* Adherence to wildlife and trespass laws.
* Adequate harvests of adult does.
* Restraint in harvesting young bucks.
* Hunter involvement in education and management.
* Cooperation with wildlife biologists and enforcement officers.
* Education of hunters and non-hunters toward a better understanding of wildlife management.
* Stewardship and appreciation of all wildlife.

Pardon, but the Indians used to manage their hunting lands too, burning the forests every few years to creat vast artificial prairies over much of the states of Tennessee, Kentucky, Alabama, Mississippi and Georgia.

Meek, the question there is whether is was deliberate "management", or just using fire to drive game to waiting ambushers. This latter method of hunting was known to be used in the plains country of the midwest, mostly driving buffalo either to ambushers or over cliffs.

Art

I am not sure just how closely related to the thread this is but, a few points.
Hunting over bait. Much hunting, if not most hunting is done over bait. We just didn't put it there. Some people hunt over cornfields, some people hunt over water, some people hunt over apples, whatever. A lot of successful hunting centers around finding where the animals feed, where the animals drink, where the animals bed. What about using doe in heat, is that bait ? What about using a doe herself as bait for a buck ? Dispite all this I don't think I would want to hunt over a feeder. I very well might do it if given the opportunity, but I wouldn't feel like I earned a trophy like I would if I had still hunted it.
Paying $2500 or whatever to hunt.
I grew up in Ohio. Deer hunting consisted of going down to the hardware store and buying a tag. I went home and walked right out of the house into the woods. I now live in Nevada. Here we have a lottery for big game tags. Last year I applied for Mule Deer, Antelope, Bull Elk, and Desert Bighorn Sheep. I was drawn for nothing. In other words, I couldn't hunt big game in Nevada last year. I also applied for a cow elk tag in Arizona (Arizona also has a tag lottery) and was not drawn. So, I didn't hunt big game at all. Of course you can go somewhere that you can buy a tag over the counter to hunt big game. But where do you go ? When you get there where do you hunt (where is it legal ? who owns the property? You can't scout so the whole trip may be a waste of time..................) If you get something, what do you do with it (taxidermy, butchering, cold transport etc. a lot of prep work if you don't know someone there). I have hunted out of state several times, but we knew people who hunted there and they clued us in on a lot of the details. Anyway, I would have gladly paid $2500 to have somewhere to hunt and someone to take care of the logistics. The funny part about it is that if I paid to hunt somewhere and they put me in a stand along a major trail leading to a feeder, I might not even know that the feeder was there.
Stand Hunting: I guess there is no disagreement on stand hunting. There are some places where this is THE way to hunt whitetail deer. I never had any luck trying to stalk deer in Ohio. Really thick woods, leaves on the ground etc. made this a tactic that few found effective. Although if it recently rained, it might be a more viable option. Here in the wide open west I see no point to stand hunting with a rifle. I enjoy hunts very similar to what Powderman described. Out here my big gripes are the road hunters and their closely related cousins who "hunt" from the back of an ATV. I consider this shooting rather than hunting.
I have seen some pretty tacky operations in my book where elk were raised and bred like livestock then hunted within fences for considerably more than $2500. I have no interest in that and can't imagine how anyone could consider that sport.

Never been lucky enough to hunt deer in a fenced in area. Always did it the hard way. Yea I have spotted them in the woods and slipped up on them and killed them. By the way my ancestors were Cherokee Indians. :)

Are You Satisfied?

Lots of agreement with the posted replies, especially Art and Stinger. To each his own, and that often changes with opportunity, maturity and finances. Just hope each thinks it through for him/her self. I don't condemn their choices just because they differ from mine.
Two things I would probably try if I could. One is a high $ exotic species hunt.
The other is the good old Indian method. Set fires to drive the game over a cliff or into the water and the then slit their helpless throats as they swim or flounder on broken legs. That way you don't have to discard the bloodshot off shoulder and the pelt is undamaged. Gotta hand it to them, in good years they didn't starve and they made efficient use of what they harvested. No cliffs or water handy? Then let's go with a noose snare or deadfall trap. They hunted to keep their family alive. Woodsmanship was developed and it excelled because it was effective. Their innate longing for a relationship with the Creator God gave rise to "medicine men" who took advantage of their ignorance. He gained pride, status and power with tricks and intimidation. Ain't no such thing as a noble savage, just survival oriented folk without the latest technology.
Otherwise I will stick to ambushing with gun, bow and blackpowder. Spear is still illegal, but if they open up a summer spear season, I'll help control the population and enjoy some veal-ison.
If God had endowed me with fang and claw instead of brains and a conscious which kicks in when I am not in survival mode, then I would be limited to those tools. I don't hunt bear with a 4 inch blade because Paul Mauser and those who followed managed to produce a marvelous Ruger 77 in 300 Win mag. Some use a fence and good biology in addition.

"Yea I have spotted them in the woods and slipped up on them and killed them." Sounds good to me.

I spotted a nice fat little eight-pointer one day; followed him along for a while, and when ten feet away tossed a rock and hit him on the butt.

:D Cherokee better be careful when old Scotch/Irish/German mongrel is around. :D

Art

Quite a discussion here, I enjoyed reading them and can see both sides of the arguement. I also live in Ohio, can look out into my backyard nearly any morning or evening and pick from many deer, turkeys, squirrels to shoot when season is in. Some of us are lucky to live in an area to do that and most of us take it for granted. I do not hunt much anymore unless there was to be a particular deer that really turned me on in the area that I've seen and would like to hunt.

The reason I decided to post in this thread is because I saw the YO Ranch mentioned. I did hunt at the YO last fall on Blackie Sleevas Handgun Hunt and Walk Thru Shoot. We all used handguns to hunt whatever particular animal we were wanting. The Ranch is quite large and does have tall fences on it's perimeter. It's over 40,000 acres which makes it a bit hard to hunt by foot if you're hunting for a particular type of animal. I wanted an Aoudad, I don't know how many have ever hunted an Aoudad before but you don't just walk out into the field and shoot one like a cow in a pasture. I sat huddled down out in the middle of a huge rockpile against a rock ledge with God knows how many Rattle snakes around me and waited for the slim chance that I'd see one. After 2 days of hunting and praying for the chance to see one I decided not to waste my $2000.00 min for this hunt and walk thru shoot competition and decided to look for a nice Axis Deer. Saw a few but you still have to look for a nice one, try to stalk within handgun range (44 mag revolver) and make a killing shot. I accomplished both and felt good about the shot.

I did ride with the guide late one evening after dark when he asked if I wanted to take a ride and spread the special nutitional suppliment they give the deer. While riding along and watching the deer (MANY as in herds and lots of HUGE BUCKS came running towards the truck to get that feed. I saw Bucks that would absolutely make anyone drool come running up so fast to the truck that I'm suprised that some didn't run into the side of the truck....... but................ when we were out in the daytime hunting out Exotics where did all these deer go to? Beats me but they sure do know how to dissapear. They do have feeding machines that they can load and there is also stands located near them for hunters that may only be able to get away from their businesses or offices for a day or two for a Deer Hunt. They also are able to put a disabled shooter in them which allows them a chance to do something that they may not be able to do without the stand and feeder. It's not my cup of tea but I do not judge anyone else for the way they hunt. I'm still not sure that searching for a glimpse of the animal I was hunting from a vehicle and then making a stalk, hoping it doesn't run to the far side of the ranch and dissapear is what others will call hunting. I still had to make a shot that I felt was above normal to make a clean kill, sure the guide gutted it and hauled it back to the Ranch house but I've done that before and it was actually kinda nice to not do it.

About that Aoudad, finally did get a glimpse of a small herd that dissapeared into the brush so fast we only got a blur of white. We stalked them about 300 yards thru the brush, cactus, rocks and snakes, the guide stopped me and kept pointing, I finally saw a patch of whiteish/gray thru a small opening in a shrub. Couldn't tell if it was an Aoudad or a sheet handing on a clothesline, They were only about 60 yards away but as I moved slightly I was able to see one lone eyeball and it was looking right at us... that was all it took and they were gone faster than we could imagine... yepper, nothing like hunting a cow in a field.. shame the Aoudad didn't learn the rules.

Some of the animals are easy to shoot but others offer quite a challenge. I'm still going to go for an Aoudad again this year, I'll probably still be out by myself all day but I'm planning on one of those camo screens to help screen me, the Aoudad have eyesight that beyond belief. The last time I looked out my backyard I didn't see any Audad and I sure can't afford to go to their native country and spend a couple of weeks hunting for one. We all have our own idea of what is a successful hunt, I have a friend that uses a longbow that he made from a limb, makes his own shafts and chips his own tips from rough flint, he thinks any other type of hunting is cheating... maybe he has an argument about that but it's not for me.... I guess somewhere there is a hunter that sits in a tree or behind a log and as a deer strolls by they jump out and grab it by the neck and uses his knife or bare hands to fill his tag....... hmmmmm might be interesting to watch.

It's getting so that the large Game ranches ar the only way for some to hunt and also to hunt certain species of animals. Even out in the country where I live the farms are being divided and the wealthy city guys are banding together and buying up vacated strip mine ground and large farms for their own hunting and do not allow the locals that used it for years to continue hunting on it.......... what is the solution?

Just my opinions... not meant to stir the pot.

Last edited:
Hey Art,

You know they say you can't sneak up on an Indian. I'M just joking about that. It was my mothers side of the family that was of Cherokee decent. My fathers family would be of some European decent-not sure and have been trying to find out. I have just a little Indian blood.
I guess i kind of strayed off of the main topic here. Stalking or stand hunting are my favorite methods when deer hunting. I guess each hunter has his own method that works. I just can't wait til deer season rolls back around again. Have a great day ART. :)

:D Hey! Cowboys and Injuns; I'll be on either side. :D I keep telling my wife to fiddle her 1/16th Cherokee bloodline up enough for an easy SBA loan...

Buyum deer ranch. Buildum feeder.

(Sorry 'bout that. Cain't help it. Character defect.)

Art

Incorrigible

Art,
Has anyonyone ever used the word incorrigible in the same sentence with your name?
Character doesn't have defects, character is just the sum of all your 'fects. Some 'fects is uh-huh's, some 'fects is uh-oh's. Get enough of both and you got your character.
And Bwana Earl believes you got CHARACTER in Spades.
Ain't enough of us yet, but more's a'coming.

Back