Deer calls

You can't argue that. I did logging and landclearing for a couple years. Sometimes we were still packing up to go home and the deer showed up to feed on the tops.

Well then if its like that , go ahead and buy him a Massey Ferguson tractor with a shredder. The deer really love you to do some mowing then they'll browse around in the fresh cut grass soon afterwards. And your friend will really thank you for the gift too. :)

calls

Success with a call is largely dependent on what is going on in the deer cycle.

If the does are "in" and the bucks running does, I would be much grieved if one morning I found I'd forgotten my Knight and Hale grunter. The biggest buck I have taken to date came galloping to it during the peek of our rut, lots of smaller ones have similarly came in that were not shooters, and I had one that was likely a P&Y candidate get away 2 years ago, same call.

Pre rut, hunting corridors and food, the call does not matter to me and I leave it at the Bronco.

I quit fooling with scents a long time ago.

If you can find a snort/wheeze call, buy it. I usually snort wheeze with my mouth --- I SNORT, then I WHEEZE {real fast together} --- that's a call that a buck sometime makes, when he is chasing a hot doe. The buck ---snort/wheezes ---- buy trying to startle the doe into stopping; so he can advance on her. A snort/wheeze is louder than a grunt, so as to give the running/walking buck a better chance to hear it; especially if he is running along dry leaves/ or with a whole herd. It might give you a standing broadside shot.

Back