Deer broadheads

and even what looked like a .22 projectile grown over in the lower leg by the foot/ankle area of a turkey

I shot a doe a couple years ago that had a really bad limp in one of her front legs, and while cleaning her found what looked like a .22 bullet in the bone just above the elbow joint. I can only hope this was a stray random bullet and not one that was actually fired on purpose at her. But with the way people are sometimes............

On the broadhead choice, I've only ever shot deer with the 2 blade Rage 100gr. heads, so can't speak about others. Personally I've had pretty good results with them. After trying several different fixed blade heads on my old PSE I tried the Rage and they actually flew and hit the same as my field tips, so that's what I stuck with. As I understand it, the Rage, Gators, and Schwacker (sp?) broadheads are all essentially the same with only minor differences between brands.

I'm planning on picking up a box of Slick Tricks soon though, been very eager to try them out. Probably either the Razortricks or the new Vipertricks.

They a bit far from "essentially the same" the Rage is kind of similar to the Gator, but only in the sense that they're both rear deploying blades.
The Shwacker is similar to the Hypershock but not really at all similar to the Rage or Gator.
I like the Aftershock better than the Rage because the blades penetrate before opening, saving energy by not having to punch a 2" hole in the ribs on the entrance side.

They a bit far from "essentially the same"

Like I said, I've only used the Rage heads on deer and neither of the other two, so I don't claim any expertise, but to each his own. Brian, I'm curious as to which Slick Trick head you prefer?

Muzzy

Muzzy 100 grain all the way for me. Shoot to the same poi for me out of my compound bow. Nothing to fail in a fixed blade broad head. Just my 2 cents.

I like NAP products, for the simple reason that they sell them at any Wal-mart in the rural south. They are excellent broadheads, and I recommend the three blade Bloodrunners. They fly like a fixed blade and then mechanically expand (WITHOUT O-rings, etc) on impact. Good stuff.

I ended up with Ulmer mechanical broadheads. You can lock the blades and use them for practice.

If I was choosing a Mech or expandable head this would be at the top of my list..I shoot Slick trick Magnums out of a compound bow,but have used and have complete faith in trophy taker products.....These guys dont put out junk imo....At the end of the day shot placement is key...Know your limits an stay within them....:)

I have been pretty impressed with the broad heads in practice. Seem to work very well and appear to be pretty strong.

"Know your limits an stay within them...."
Reminds me of something a USMC NCO once told me...
I am going to be very limited on range 30 yards max. The last few years I have not had much trouble getting deer that close using my expert strategy of "nap in the blind." Seems some compound bow archers are shooting out to 90 yards.
Maybe in a few decades I will also.

Seems some compound bow archers are shooting out to 90 yards.

90 yards at animals is foolish. That's a target game only.

Many archers shooter that far and farther in competition but shooting live animals is a different world. That arrow takes like... 3 1/2 days;)... to go 90 yards. An animal could be in the next county by that time. One single step turns a heart shot into a heartache. No way a responsible hunter shoots that far.

No way a responsible hunter shoots that far.

Agree!

I used to shoot bow/hunt with a guy that was one of the best bow shots I've ever personally seen.

He is in his early sixties, has hunted and shot bow since his early teens and has never owned a gun in his life. I have seen him make 55-60yd shots on deer many times.

Another fella I know is in his mid forties, has also shot bow all his life, competing for several years. His practice regiment for years has been that of a full time job. If he's awake and not working at his job which was filming his hunting shows(Bighorn Outdoors), he is either practicing or teaching archery to kids. This fella is on film killing a turkey at a measured 57yds.

As good as both these guys are with a bow, they would never think of shooting at a live target past 65yds. And in order to take that long of a shot, all elements(wind,terrain, animals mood, etc.) would have to be perfect.

It's just not worth the risk involved.

Where these guys randomly practiced shooting golf ball size targets at 50-70yds., yours truly was shooting at beach ball size targets. :o

I'll second Brian on the Slick Trick's. Not overly heavy with a good cutting diameter and small blade surface area to lessen wind planing.

Back