Deep Concealment CCW Suggestions?

turkeestalker said:
I'm a firm believer in the Kangaroo Carry.

+1. I also use a Kangaroo Carry. Its an excellent way to carry for a person with "a little extra padding on the sides". The pistol disappears under your breast/armpit, and is quick to draw from your collar. If you are involved in a struggle, or want to absolutely make sure no one can see you have a concealed handgun, simply press your arm against the pistol. No one will know.

Keep the pistol you have and are familiar with, and use a different carry method.

Well, first off... I'm not tell you what you should do. I'm just saying what I do and have done for a long time. There's "able" and there's "allowed". I've carried where I'm not allowed but am able to carry.

Glock 19 or SIG P226 with a tuckable holster AIWB.

Now, given that you mentioned a J-Frame.. I personally have a Model 60 Smith and Wesson and I love it. I have had a 642 and 637 in the past. Both very concealable weapons.

I don't like to rely on anything smaller than the aforementioned semi-auto pistols. I carry a revolver as a back up to one semi-auto in compact or full sized.

So, since you feel comfy with one of those. They'll all work well for you, with an exception of the Bersa. I'm not a fan of them at all.

Good luck!!

I'm in the other camp, for what it is the bodyguard trigger is just fine IMO that being said I've practiced enough with my revolvers that it wasn't really any different. The one thing I have added to my bodyguard is the pachymayr grip sleeve, after ~100-150 rounds in a session the corner of the grip was really making a sore spot on my palm. Added a tiny bit of width just about enough to make it as wide as the desantis holster it's in. But it's so much more comfy to shoot.

I pocket carry. I generally carry the Beretta Pico. I've found them to be extremely reliable, flat and light, and easy to break down for cleaning and maintenance. If I need smaller for carry in tight clothes, I carry an NAA Guardian in .32 acp. I had Seecamp .32s, but sold them off because I didn't like not having any sights at all.

I CCW with the Ruger LC9S in a BlackHawk #3 pocket holster. The LC9S has a superior trigger than the LC9. I wear deep pocket jeans that do not reveal the weapon.

The Smith @Wesson Shield or Bodyguard 38revolver or 380 pistol in a front pocket carry Desantis nemesis pocket holster is the most comfortable n concealable option for me... Any of these 3 are basically a perfect choice - my Shield in front pocket is as invisible as can be which makes me want to every day carry it.

There are plenty of concealable hand guns out there. Mine is the Keltec PF9 and has been for the last 4-5yrs. I have a XDS 4.0 45acp waiting to take its place as soon as I get more rounds through it. It's all about personal preference.

I don't know what kind of pants y'all have, but deep CCW guns are about 2 things:
1) what fits in your pocket or belt without printing

2) what can you shoot fast and accurate with

For me, that is a cw380 in a pocket holster. All else is too big, or too small to shoot fast.

I don't know what kind of pants y'all have, but deep CCW guns are about 2 things:

For me, day to day, a Glock 17 does that. And thats in my normal pants. I dont size up.

My 26 is "deep" concealment. It fits the bill too, but its just there as back up. :)

I like my J-frame SW 638/649 (shrouded hammer humpback) AIWB with Remora/Sticky for deep concealment. No visible clip, tuckable shirts, fast/discreet access from any position, works with messenger bags/backpacks. Snub grip rides lower than my LCP so it's not a rib jabber bending over, and J-frames are far more accurate, and reliable, in my hands. Shrouded hammer also allows for controlled/verifiable hammer down holstering for safety - perhaps it's just me, but I don't like the idea of "half-cocked" semis, and relying on their internal/mechanical black box safety, when pointing at my vitals 24/7.

LCP in a sticky holster. Great for pocket carry and works surprisingly well iwb.
This has been my choice for a while when clothing or situation doesn't permit something larger.

I just picked up a Glock 43 today . It is sized similar to your other choices and fits your price range. You may want to look at one also.

After putting enough rounds through it and deciding on carry method, it may fill the role of my LCP.

I'm in the same boat as AK. When I'm not at work, where carry is strictly prohibited, I 'deep' carry a CZ-75 Compact AIWB in t-shirt and shorts. You can draw at least as fast as someone pocket carrying if your both starting with your hand off your gun, and I've got 14+1 rounds on tap in a gun with a decent sight radius that I can get a full fingered grip on. I don't size up my pants either, and my t-shirts aren't super baggy. I've hugged family members at gatherings who never had a clue I had anything. Only my goofy sister found out when she, as usual, tried to gut punch me.. siblings! I did the research, and made sure I got a super low profile, purpose made Kydex AWIB to be able to carry the size gun I wanted in total concealment. It would be even easier than it already is with a slimmer single stack poly gun, but I love steel CZ's. It's not that I would feel 'undergunned' with a J-frame, it's just that I figured if I can conceal carry a larger gun effectively, and relatively easily, then why not. In terms of having to actually USE the gun in any deadly force encounter, a 'Compact' size gun in the general Glock 19 size range, like my CZ, doesn't lose ANYTHING to a j-frame, or mouse gun. It ONLY has advantages. As much of a longshot, God willing, as using it may be, it's nice to have those advantages on tap.

Don't automatically overlook carrying a gun in the 'Compact' and even 'Full size' range, like AK's G17, for deep CCW. With the right holster/gun combo, and the right build of person, it's very doable. Everybody these days seems to be in a race to carry the smallest, lightest, and usually least capable, gun possible without thinking that a larger gun is even a possibility. Just my OP. :)

What's the smallest caliber you'd consider, and how do you plan to carry it?

The S&W 642 (.38spcl snub-nosed revolver) and the Taurus TCP 738 (.380ACP mouse pistol) work great for concealed carry in a front pocket. Accuracy on either one is alright out to about seven yards or so). The little NAA mini revolvers in .22wmr work really well for pocket carry, but some people have a problem with rimfire ammo and caliber. They're beautiful little guns, though.

When it comes to IWB carry, give the Glock 42 a look. It's chambered in .380ACP, and it's just big enough (physically) to make it a good fighting pistol. It conceals really well, it's light, and it carries really well. Pair it up with an Alien Gear IWB holster and an untucked shirt and nobody is gonna know you're packing, Carry a couple of extra mags in your front pants pocket and you'll be armed well enough for just about any threat. The BT380 or BT380CC are both great .380's, but they don't come close to the Glock 42.

Move up to 9x19, and your have the Glock 43 or S&W M&P Shield. Little bit bigger guns than the G42, but they offer a nice increase in firepower. Stoke either one with 115 grain Hornady Critical Defense or 124 grain Federal HST (standard pressure on both) and you have a little beast of a handgun that won't kill you on the recoil - which is nice for follow-up shots.

Back