Deciding on a martial art?

I may be a rookie shooter, but I've taken quite a bit of martial arts. My best advice would be to try out a few and see what suits your natural fighting style the best. Judging from your size, Wing Chun should would well, but the best fighting art varies by person.

Just my 2 cents. Oh yeah, and no martial art is better than nine .45 slugs....

Martial Techniques and Practices

The study of such is a journey that should never end. Make the effort to begin. Judo to Colt M4, just start. Enjoy, learn, and practice as often as possible. Encompass all that you have learned and hope you never have to apply your skills; for some, they have not been so fortunate.

Hapkido

Here's a vote for hapkido. Good combination of punches, grappling, throws, kicks, etc. The kicks are mostly low kicks to the knees and shins, not the flashy spinning reverse roundhouse, get your hiney smacked down, kicks. The throws are pretty similar to the throws in Aikido. The punches are just your basic jabs, crosses, etc. At my dojo we do some groundfighting work, but mostly we work on how to keep your opponent away if you fall until you can get back up safely (the get-up drill is my least favorite part of class, other than the 10 minutes of jumping jacks during warm-ups...bleah).

I think they teach it to Korean military.

As for picking a school, just call around and talk to the instructors and ask them questions. Ask about their background, training philosophy, etc. You should be able to get a pretty good feel for the instructor that way.

JKD JKD JKD
or any other mixed martial arts. Remember JKD is basically a philosophy. Take what works for you. I am a BJJ practitioner, but I will not go to the damn ground if I can prevent it. I still size up opponents. If they're a better boxer I won't act like a punching bag. I lean towards American style kickboxing (not Muay Tai), and BJJ. Kuntao or Butokukahn have impressed me as well. For weapons, I studied basically Kali/Arnis. Remember be humble, and leave your ego at the door.

3-D Martial Arts
909 S Oneida St, Denver, CO 80224-3582
Phone: 303-333-0014

3D Martial Arts in Denver has produced a lot of champions in Muay Thai and NHB and is considered a highly competent martial arts academy. This is the only number I could come up with, but if they are close to you, that's where I would go.

Back