Dealing with the active shooter

How would you deal with the active shooter?

• Make a run for it as soon as you see the weapon

Votes: 12 9.3%
  • Stay in place, freeze and be silent

Votes: 4 3.1%
  • Hit the ground

Votes: 4 3.1%
  • Try reasoning with the active shooter

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • Go for cover

Votes: 53 41.1%
  • Whip out your concealed carry 1911 and open fire

Votes: 55 42.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
What skadoosh said.

However,I have read that studies have shown that an immediate and vicious response gets the best results in these situations.

Like -immediate draw and start shooting right at the guy- as you close on him.

Not an easy thing to do when a guy is just blasting away,for example,in a restaurant.

I'd engage an active shooter as soon as possible. IIRC, active shooters shoot a victim every 15 seconds until the shooting stops.

Edited "kill" to read "shoot."

Last edited:
I feel the need to post this again.. this is directly from Dept of Defense guidance on dealing with active shooters. It is based on extensive study of historical events.

1. Evacuate, if possible.

2. Hide out. Barricade yourself in a secure area with only one entry point. Call 9-1-1, wait for responders. Provide as much detail as possible regarding the number of shooters, their demographics, their locations, and their weapons, and any injuries on the scene.

3. Take action as a last resort. Active shooters are rarely determined fighters and direct, aggressive action can end a situation quickly. Use whatever items are available as weapons.

If the other guy has his gun out, you're already behind the curve. If you can get to cover (not just concealment) it means you can re-center yourself and develop a plan for evaculation (the safest options) or fire to stop the threat. Just a few extra seconds to steady yourself could mean the difference.

Last edited:
That mirrors the gov't-wide guidance. The intended consumers of which are unarmed personnel. If unarmed, it in not bad advice.

The active shooter videos sold to schools and businesses do the same. They end with improvised weapons. The charge of the flailing fountain pens and the hurled laptops of death.

Not to disparage those but they explicitly avoid firearms in the hands of anyone not law.

Is that because...

... the people marketing the videos are anti-gun, or because they are adapting tactics to what the environment normally holds? (IE, the states I've lived in or frequently visited all ban firearms in their schools.)

I'd rather have a gun, personally, but I'd imagine five or six laptops could hurt. They could at least cause enough distraction to the BG that some good guys could try to gang-rush him.

How would you deal with the active shooter?

Such an ambiguous question has an infinite number of senarios to consider so my answer could only be that I'd hopefully deal with the shooter appropriately and that I'd be preparied to do so.

The video folks make what sells to places that ban guns. If they are anti - I don't know. As far as the laptop charge. We tried it. You can't through them very far and a good shooter can get off about 3 to 8 shots off in the time it takes for you to close it and throw.

This doesn't include the first wave of close folks shot down. So Laptop Larry the Commando is even farther away.

I don't disrespect the idea of doing what you can but I'm not down with the folks who propose the use of improvised weapons as a reason for not allowing carry. Subtle point.

None of the above...

YMMV, but, generally:

1. Draw weapon;

2. Maneuver to cover/concealment/position of advantage, setting up a clear background for the shot;

3. Issue verbal commands for suspect to drop the weapon, if subject has not yet begun to shoot;

4. Engage as necessary to protect self and others.

You know, if the guy is shooting other people, I won't be issuing any verbal commands to the shooter. He knows what he is doing wrong. He knows he will be engaged. I just don't see any reason to warn him.

Tacoma Mall - that's says it for me with an active shooter shooting away.

Also, in training - you can get the drop on someone and he or she can shoot you while you are flapping your gums.

Tacoma Mall shooting...

I was about 12 miles from Tacoma Mall when this happened in 2005. If I hadn't been shopping for a car in Federal Way we were headed for the mall. I don't know if we would of been in the exact location the shooting happened but I always play the "what If" game...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tacoma_Mall_shooting

Verbally warning was a bad idea but re-holstering the firearm was worse. Too bad he's now paralyzed and we the people have to still pay to keep this nut behind bars.

Back