Deactivating Rimfire Primers

Considering what occurred on the Rust movie set (let alone standard safety practice), a clearly dummy round is the right choice.

Anyone could swap rounds and then???? Authentic is wonderful until someone gets their eye shot out.

I would recommend to them they reconsider their safety (and why) and then if they refuse no longer participate in the situation.

Since this is for a museum display, there probably isn't much chance of them accidentally being put in a firearm. However, a no-powder hole could be drilled in the side and later oriented against the floor of the display case where it can't be seen by the public. That would add an extra measure of safety while the dummy is still being handled.

And if someone in a fit of stupidity changes a case and........

Too many failures for the sake of so called authenticity when all you really are trying to do is demonstrate a form.

This is the classic road to normalizing deviation, try to fill a invalid premises when the question should be, what is the goal and what is the safest way to achieve that?

Here you have not controlled chain of custody as it were. Is there a gun nearby it fits?

Lo many years ago my Dad decided to get me a MN rifle as the toy guns kept getting broke.

Then the gun shows up and its, oh %^$#, its got a firing pin, it could get a round in it and ...... I told him never to point a gun at anyone.

The solution (hmmm) was he cut out the firing pin and I was not to point my disabled gun at anyone but could in their general direction while going (boom, boom boom aka a BAR, that sucker was heavy for a 7 years old and only worth it if it was auto)

My dad was ex military, he knew better, he just was not thinking, and sort of recovered his sanity when he was what he had wrought. Clearly no way a MN bolt was going to get swapped. But if it had been a 1903? He had one of those!

Unlike the Rust set, this is not a situation in which a real round could be substituted for a blank or a dummy. This is a dummy for which the only possible danger would be someone loading it into a gun to defend themselves and having the gun go "click". It's a pretty highly improbable scenario for a museum display.

As I posted previously, I picked out 10 rounds each of .22LR Winchester Wildcat (CCI Headstamp), an unusual headstamp from ammo I've had for years on my pistol belt, Super-X, and CCI Mini-Mags, and pulled the bullets. I put 1 each of the empty cases in small containers of Acetone (nail polish remover) Alcohol, Break-Free CLP, Eezox, Gasoline, Kroil, Sea-Foam, Strike-Hold, Vinegar (white), and Water. I soaked them all for 1 week, then emptied the containers and cases and blew them out with compressed air as much as possible. I made sure all the cases were blown as dry as I could get them when I put them back in the containers. Then I let them air dry for another week. This morning I fired, or attempted to fire, each case in my old Hi-Standard Sentinel (Yes, I'm that old.) If the primer fired, I recorded it. If not, I turned the case 90 degrees and tried again, until I had made four attempts.

Here are the results:

Acetone: All 4 cases fired the first time. Noted it was difficult to load the cases, as apparently the acetone dried leaving a film on the cases.
Alcohol: All 4 cases fired the first time
Break-Free CLP None of the cases fired.
Eezox: None of the cases fired.
Gasoline: All 4 cases fired the first time.
Kroil: The CCI case sort-of fired the first time. Sounded more like snapping on an empty cylinder, rather than the dull thud of a misfire. The second CCI-primed (Wildcat) case kind-of snapped on the second strike, and I observed a bit of smoke afterwards. The Super-X and the other case did not ignite at all.
Sea-Foam: None of the cases fired.
Strike-Hold: None of the cases fired.
Vinegar: None of the cases fired.
Water: All 4 cases fired the first time.

Both the Break-Free and Strike-Hold containers had some solvent in them that I was unable to completely get rid of, so I can't swear the inside of the cases were totally dry. If I were going to chemically deactivate .22 RF cases, I would use Sea-Foam or Vinegar. :cool:

Hope this is of interest.

interesting that the sea foam deactivated them according to it's MSDS it consists of Petroleum distillates, Hydrocarbon-based solvent, Isopropyl alcohol.

Gasoline did nothing and neither did isopropyl alcohol when used by themselves. No idea which hydrocarbon based solvent they used, could be any of a couple of dozen different solvents

A second look on dummy rounds

I do understand that this is an old thread but felt it was important enough to add this reply as "some" previous were questionable, safety wise. I will buy into this method and if nothing else, follow the spirit of the information his technique. ..... ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f6XESjGIc5E

Be Safe !!!

The method looks fine, but you only need to watch fifty seconds of it, from 1:10 to 2:00 to see the extraction done. YouTubers often add lots of extra introductory and post discussion to things.

Back