De - Evolving

"de-evolving"? I'm not sure that term is accurate. If you have carefully considered your decision (and I'll bet that you have), then I would say that you are, in fact, evolving. If circumstances change and you want to CCW in the future, you can always go back to CCW.

And I hope that Wild and his family are doing O.K., or at least the best that they can; we send him our support!

ah, that makes sense

You know, I have been on this forum for several months, and I've come to recognize the tendency to be drawn deeper and deeper into the "preparedness at every single second" mindset. I expect it could pretty much drive you batty if you go too far down that road.

I see the temptation in myself... when you start asking "what if", you can go pretty far off. If being ready for anything and everything is what a person really feels they need to do, fine; but the truth is that most of us only draw our guns when we are practicing drawing our guns, and most of us will live to a ripe old age without ever needing to bug out, shoot somebody in self defense, or set up on the roof to hold off the great unwashed hordes when "the SHTF".

I was definitely tempted to go pretty far in survival planning after the hurricanes this last fall. I've made peace with *not* having hundreds of gallons of gasoline stashed away, with having a couple of weeks of bottled water and canned propane for the Colman lantern and stove, and canned food so that if we get smacked head on by the next Rita or Katrina, we won't go without water and food. I keep my equilibrium on this by looking at my 80-year old dad who only ever carried a gun in WW II and has managed without having any more preparedness than what he carries between his ears.

Take some time to do normal stuff. Forget about bugging out and worrying about everything that could possibly happen, and just relax. Just don't get to the point of taking unnecessary risks; you can carry the handgun without giving in to the all consuming what-if-itis.

Peace, friend.

Springmom

As long as you have three or four knives, some shuriken, a manrika gusari and some concussion grenades you should be ok.

David

"yes, i know bad stuff can happen anywhere, anytime, to anyone. but the true risks going to and from work or store just seem diminished to me.

Is that because it has become routine and a little boring? I understand what you're getting at, but remember statistics show most car accidents occur closer to home. I imagine that's because people let their guard down in situations they're familiar with.

My brain will not stop a 40 cal. So--I carry

Actually ... a gun will not stop a .40 from piercing your brain. If you want proof, strap on your primary and bug and pepper spray and baton and whatever and stand still while I shoot at your head. As you will see, neither weapon will leap out of the holster to stop the bullet.

And there are several situations where having a gun got the bearer hurt worse:

That texas shooting where the firearms instructor charged out to engage the shooter with his .40 and was himself killed (shooter had on body armor). In this case having the gun got him killed, as without the gun he would have run away from trouble instead of toward it.

Possibly the CCW carrier who was nearly crippled in the Seattle mall shooting. He confronted the shooter and was gunned down. Would he have been hit if he had been unarmed and sprinted for cover or a hiding place? We'll never know, of course.

In the first instance the man who took a stand and attacked DID save the life of others, if not himself. And in the 2nd the man might have stopped an ongoing assault against innocents, and so he definitely did the right thing -- just trying to show that a gun doesn't make the bearer safer in all cases. And probably not in a majority of cases.

For me ... I try to carry a good percentage of the time. Especially if I'm doing something that might attract a BG's attention. It's doing my part to keeping society, and my family, a little safer. And most often it's not an inconvenience in Colo, so why not?

But I have to chuckle when I read some of the posts by the "sheep dogs" on this site who seem more sheep than dogs. i.e. people who won't use ATM's, go to a carwash or a 7-11 after dark, go downtown, etc.

I go wherever I want armed or not. From a general pov, I HOPE a BG will try something against a big and possibly armed guy like me rather than a defenseless older person or young woman or whatever.

And if I want a ho ho or a bottle of woohoo at midnight ... the fear of BG's is not going to scare me away from a 24 hour convenience store. If the unarmed 20 year old behind the counter has the guts to work there all night, I've certainly got the guts to drop in and pick up a snack.

The Austin (Texas) tower sniper is a prime example of having an ARMED citizenry. No, it has nothing to do with CCW, but....a citizen, armed with a shotgun, assisted a police officer when it became necessary to "storm" that university tower. The crazed sniper had killed 11 people, but had it not been for that police officer AND the armed citizen, it could have been worse!

There is also another, much less known factor in that incident.

Whitman would undoubtedly have continued killing; the police at that time were hopelessly outgunned. The thing that kept Whitman's head down--and gave time for the police and the armed citizen to even approach the tower--was when a bunch of good ol' boys stopped their cars, pulled out scoped bolt-action rifles, and proceeded to provide covering fire from ground level.

Hook 'em, horns! GO TEXAS!:D :D :cool:

Back