Darn M70 Classics!

taylorce1

I know I should never look at them. I committed to buying one today, a 7 digit SS Classic in .270 WSM. It isn't in the original stock, probably why I got a good deal on it.

I know brass and ammunition are hard to find right now. I'm not sure it won't become a 6.8 Western, or it might just be trade bait down the road. I really don't need it, but I'm a sucker for stainless steel M70 Winchester rifles with the old style trigger.

Here are the pictures.

IMG-20230425-230946738-1.jpg

IMG-20230425-230920706-1.jpg

IMG-20230425-230934314-1.jpg

I know they aren't the best to buy a rifle off of, but for the price I got it for it could have the barrel chopped to 16" and I wouldn't care.

What a colossal coincidence--I just brought my model 70 in 270 WSM out of the safe to do some shooting with. If the stock bothers you that much--order a new one from winnie. It's a model 70 for God's sake--just go out and shoot it before deciding on cosmetic surgery to look good on the fashion runways.;) i wouldn't mess with it unless something is fundamentally wrong.

But it's your rifle to do with as you please.:)

PS--that's a pretty high-grade looking piece of wood for the stock

stagpanther said:
It's a model 70 for God's sake--just go out and shoot it before deciding on cosmetic surgery to look good on the fashion runways. i wouldn't mess with it unless something is fundamentally wrong.

PS--that's a pretty high-grade looking piece of wood for the stock

I'm not going to do anything for awhile, I've got to find ammo or brass first. I know some don't like it but I think the 6.8 Western is what the .270 WSM should have been all along. I don't hate the stock either, but I wouldn't call laminated birch high grade.

I don't hate the stock either, but I wouldn't call laminated birch high grade.
Sure fooled me--I thought it was a sweet cut of walnut! :o Never mind. I've shot the 6.8 western and I agree it's a very nice cartridge--is it a guaranteed 270 wsm killer? I don't think so, it might have the advantage in better accommodating newer, higher BC bullets. So many of this have come out only for shooters to discover how demanding they can be to get "just right." Not saying the western is like that--but the 270 WSM is a pretty proven cartridge that isn't so finicky. I'm trying out some staball loads just because that powder does well--maybe not match grade great--but well with just about everything I've tried it on.

"I'm not going to do anything for awhile, I've got to find ammo or brass first. I know some don't like it but I think the 6.8 Western is what the .270 WSM should have been all along. I don't hate the stock either, but I wouldn't call laminated birch high grade."

I have one but mine is chambered to the .338 Win. Mag. and has a cheap factory plastic stock. Nice rifle but it flat out beats me to death, even with a muzzle brake added. :( I'll probably look int o a heavier stock and see if it makes any difference.
Paul B.

I got a chance to shoot a few quick 5 shot groups off the hood of my truck--first was 135 gr MKs driven by the staball powder, I was getting groups of around MOA +/- but was also getting muzzle flashes probably due to unburned powder--and found the bore was unusually fouled for tat powder--I had unfortunately brain-farted and used regular LR primers instead of magnums. Tried a berger 130 hunting VLD--all specs I used were right out of their book, but also used the regular primer instead of magnum. On that one I used H4350 which is still "the king" of WSM powders IMO. I have very few LRM primers lft, but I'll try them next to see if it really makes a difference.

There's 3 shots in one hole touching the target, the other two I can pull the lame excuse card and say I threw because I rolled the rifle off the rear bag while the shot broke.

attachment.php

I also had to buy factory ammo to get brass when I first bought my model 70, the only thing I could find at the time was federal's 150 gr fusion, but it shot very well.

Attachments

• 270WSM 60.5 H4350 130hvld 168yds.jpg
    270WSM 60.5 H4350 130hvld 168yds.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 389
Thanks Patrick!

I did manage to score some 50 pieces new brass and dies from the owner. Added $75 to the deal but worth it.

I have a 1999 vintage SS Classic in 30-06 sitting in a McMillan Edge stock. I can't imagine a more versatile rifle. I bought it used about 14-15 years ago. For the old style classic trigger it is pretty darn good. I'm guessing someone had it worked on before I bought it.

Those came with a cheap plastic stock. I'm generally not a fan of laminated wood, (it's too heavy) but I wouldn't call it a downgrade. As long as the weight isn't an issue for you I think it is probably a better stock than factory.

IMO those SS Classics were the best Winchester 70's ever made. While another chambering might be better. I just don't see it being enough better to justify the expense of changing it.

This is my third stainless classic the other two were .30-06. I still have both one is a FWT .30-06 and the other is a custom .338-06. Both are in McMillan Hunters Edge stocks. The FWT was only a barreled action when I bought it and the other was rode hard and put up wet.

I've got an M-70 Classic Laredo. 7mm Rem Mag. It was winchester's version of a Sendero.
It came with a HS Precision stock . Aluminum bedding block. Grey Composite,

It shoots OK/pretty good. About +/- 3/4 MOA with most good bullets. Its not a bughole rifle. Not bad for a production barrel.

I used it for calving season overwatch.Good gun. 4.5 to 14 X Leupold Long Range Mil Dot

My current M70 rifles.

Stainless classic .30-06
2022-05-06-07-01-25.jpg

Custom .338-06
2023-04-30-07-48-51.jpg

EW .270 Win
2022-03-29-08-25-12.jpg

Custom XTR in .375 Ruger
Picture001-1.jpg

Youth Ranger .223 in FWT stock
20181219-081826.jpg

I bet you have fun firing that .375 ruger.:)

here's my lowly 70 in 270 WSM--not as nice as those above--but it is a model 70 and that's what counts!;)

Dangerous thread--gonna make me start looking for another one.

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_9024.jpg
    IMG_9024.jpg
    180.3 KB · Views: 41
Last edited:
stagpanther said:
I bet you have fun firing that .375 ruger.

I actually enjoy shooting that rifle. The recoil with 270 grain bullets is more manageable than my .30-06 or my Howa .308 Superlite. I haven't shot it in a few years, I should probably dig it out of the corner of the safe.

Back in the late sixties growing up in ND I worked summers as a flag boy for a local crop sprayer. He was a big collector of Model 70’s. He claimed he had one in every available caliber and judging from what I saw I had no doubt. His favorite was his .270, he hunted everything from predators to moose with it. He used to work predator control for the state by flying around and shooting fox and coyotes out of his plane. I went with him a couple times and it was pretty amazing how he did it, he very seldom missed. Every time he shot something he’d radio to his son or grandson on the ground where to pick up whatever he shot. Both ear’s were turned in to the state for the bounty and the hides sold to the fur dealer. Great fun.

my two m-70 classics are both blue-walnut left hand and in 7 mm remington magnum, 300 winchester magnum./ great shooters with the right loads./

Back