DAO

Waitone brings up a very important and sobering point!

In a SHTF situation, one doesn't want to be fumbling with a safety while on the receiving end of gunfire. I feel for the poor jewelry store owner.

One thing that it makes clear is the need for training and practice. I have practiced presenting my gun from the holster well over a thousand times, which, for me, includes proper use of the safety. Removing the safety is now part of my "muscle memory" as is the entire process of the presentation.

However, I've never been put to the test in a real shootout, and I pray I never am. Until one has been in that situation, you can only hope that your response will be adequate. But I know that training and practice will increase the odds that my response will be.

It seems to me, especially after reading these posts, that there are pros and cons to both SA and DAO. One must balance these in one's own particular circumstances and needs. I'm glad we have choices.

Mr Pub, you write " I also think that an exposed trigger is old design.... Plus, .... exposed triggers can snag on things. That is why I dont like the 1911 design with the big trigger horn (or whatever its called) sticking out."

At last, a voice of clarity! The triggers mustn't be exposed! Hide them inside a panel, where they can't be touched. Just like concealed hammers.

Bart Noir
Apologies for the sarcasm. I just can't resist.

Mr. Pub, what do you mean by an exposed trigger on a 1911? And what is a trigger horn? Did you mean hammer?

As far as triggers snagging on things goes, I remember my instructor warning us to be sure that their clothing couldn't get caught between their gun and their holster. He knew of people who, as they pushed their Glock into the holster and it caught some cloth from a shirt, the cloth actually pulled the trigger and they had a ND. I remember thinking, "I'm glad I've got a manual safety that prevents the trigger from activating."

I have several M1911s and have carried them concealed. They have the rounded, Commander-style hammers. Never had any problem with them snagging, and I've done countless draws from concealment for practice. Now I will admit that for pocket carry, I prefer a hammerless design -- I sometimes carry a S&W Model 642 or a Kahr MK9 in a pocket holster. But I don't see a problem with having an exposed hammer on a gun riding in a belt holsters.

Quite a few guns, including some designed quite recently, have exposed hammers, including most S&W semi-autos, H&K USP and USP Compact, Sigs, etc.

M1911

Back