DAO striker (or internal hammer) polymer guns

I (and apparently the OP) only worry about man-made mechanical devices/safeties failing when I know physics is absolutely reliable and has been activated (ie, spring-loading behind a live primer). Simply deactivate the physics (eg, verifiable striker/hammer-down or Israeli-carry) and the concern of mechanical failure shifts from blowing my own crotch off, to a gun that won’t fire when I need it to.

Bringing up frame rails breaking as a method of bypassing a safety system is an extreme example. I could use the same reasoning to make it seems any machine on the planet is unsafe. So you want a safe gun and the Glock is safe as-is. The NY-1 spring and dash connector will make that pull longer and safer as well. New York used them because cops switched from long DA pulls on revolvers to Glocks. They knew many of them would put their fingers on the trigger before ready to fire like they did with their revolvers. It not only increases the pull weight, but it feels exactly like a double action revolver pull. Watch the video below of a cutaway Glock and see how a it works. You'll see how it's a DAO system that doesn't reset until the slide cycles.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pThsdG0FNdc

Last edited:
Bringing up frame rails breaking as a method of bypassing a safety system is an extreme example. I could use the same reasoning to make it seems any machine on the planet is unsafe. So you want a safe gun and the Glock is safe as-is. The NY-1 spring and dash connector will make that pull longer and safer as well. New York used them because cops switched from long DA pulls on revolvers to Glocks. They knew many of them would put their fingers on the trigger before ready to fire like they did with their revolvers. It not only increases the pull weight, but it feels exactly like a double action revolver pull. Watch the video below of a cutaway Glock and see how a it works. You'll see how it's a DAO system that doesn't reset until the slide cycles.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pThsdG0FNdc

First off I should say that I have a G19 and G26 with thousands of rounds through them and think they are awesome guns. I know very well how they work. I don’t mean to imply they are ‘unsafe’.... this thread is more about....is there something safer?

I carried my Glocks O/I WB @ 4 o’clock for years with no concern, but after converted to AIWB and violating rule #2 in the worst possible way (pointing @ femoral artery and/or junk, 24/7), I became VERY (maybe ‘overly’) concerned with a firearm’s safety features. Then, when I bend over, there’s a weird lateral pressure when my gut tries to ‘bend’ the firearm around my belt. I know the metal slide won’t bend, but the polymer frame might.... maybe enough to break a fatigued frame rail, or maybe enough to upset the precise interface between the frame-mounted trigger bar and the slide-mounted firing pin safety and striker lug? I don’t know, all it can say is that bending over makes me cringe with any type of pre-tensioned semi carried AIWB. Sort of like this popular video, although who knows if it’s a staged video, or he just has got his underwear stuck (shirt looks cleared) in the trigger guard, etc.

(EDIT: in replies to the 3rd comment on the video, one person claims to know the guy, and another with a medical aftermath quote).

https://youtu.be/Cf5cW1uh21c

For me, it simply boils down to the pure physics of spring-loading strikers or hammers behind chambered primers, which MOST ‘DAO’ semi’s do have. (The triggers are fine with me.). Simply remove that spring-loading behind a live primer and then the firearm’s safeties become much less of a concern. Does your last sentence imply that a Glock does not have enough spring pretension to ignite a chambered round (assuming the UNLIKELY mechanical failure of all safeties)?

Also, with regard to your second sentence, can you take my reasoning and explain how anything broken on a hammer-down revolver, will cause it to fire while carried AIWB? Best I can come up with is that the hammer block safety fails AND someone comes up and smacks it just right with a hammer.

Last edited:
Glocks do not have fully tensioned strikers at rest.

Yes, agreed.... just partially tensioned strikers, yet with enough stored energy to reliably ignite live primers ‘every time’ as an armorer tested in my link above - AND of course assuming the unlikely failure of the safeties.

Back