dangers of loaded on the night stand

Thanks for sharing. In my house there is a duty to announce even when it means waking up the other person. Plus, playing the odds, statistically, having someone invade your home would be like winning the lottery; well maybe a little better then winning the lottery. So, when I hear a noise in the middle of the night I grab the gun but assume it’s probably not an intruder.

Frank, regarding shooting your revolver SA or DA.

Shooting a revolver DA only accurately is an art. It is possible but takes much practice.

Using the SA mode in self defense is not wise and could bring about a law suit or worse in getting someone hurt unintentionally. Decocking a revolver is also potentially hazardous. Yes, it's easier to shoot SA accurately. But it's also easier to make a mistake.

i dont see why one shouldn't cock the hammer to induce SA mode. after all,
we strive to become one with our firearm. we forge ourselves to become
a fighting machine. we train so our 'safety' is our brain -- it never fails.

:)

whoa...i almost pulled it off w/o smiling. truth is, as Capt Charlie implied
above, we are human and comes with that, the ebb and flow of human
emotions, physical limitations and distractions. and if that hasn't sunk in,
then you're resigned to live in your fantasy world of "Keyboard Mercenary,
Super Hero"

There is no perfect answer for everyone. The tools are to be selected and
configured for your level of skill and discipline. the training should never
stop....and should be replenished on a regular basis.

I agree that having a loaded gun on a night stand can lead to a burglar picking it up and you staring at the barrel. I also agree that it being on the nightstand just leaves the gun too accessible when you are half asleep. I might have a solution for you. Buy the type of pistol safe that mounts into the wall and looks like a picture frame, all you need to do is swing open the picture and take out the gun. You have to stand up to do it and tha is a lot safer than picking up a pistol when you are half asleep. It's also serves as a hiding place in case a burglar decides to visit your home when you are not there or when kids are around, whether they are your kids or someone else's.

You can buy the type of pistol safe that mounts to your bedframe and has a touch keypad that you can program to a code of your choosing. They are very well made and offer the peace of mind to get a good nights sleep, literally, but keep your weapon close. You can find them online for $75 to $100 and it's an excellent solution to this matter.

You're going to need every second you have if someone breaks into your house. Struggling with a lock or standing to get at some complicated hiding place can get you killed.

If you don't have children (or child-like adults) running loose in your home, why get complicated? If you simply must hide your sidearm, why not just put it in the nightstand drawer? --Or admit to yourself that if push comes to shove you're not actually willing to defend yourself, and put the thing away in the safe, from which it is unlikely to crawl out and discharge itself.

...Last but not least, if you've not drilled yourself to never, ever stick your finger through the trigger guard until you're on target and ready to shoot, just what have you been doing? I see the trigger-sloppy most every time I go to the range. They worry me. IMO, it's no way to handle firearms.

Last edited:
The pistol boxes are great if you have kids. But the problem I have with most pistol lock boxes is that most of them make some sort of noise when being opened such as a audible beep or mechanical click. This definately gives you away in a quiet house. I have one bolted to the top of my dresser. When I come home I put my gun in it. At bed time the gun is next to me on my nightstand.

I think the key to the whole situation is communication with family members and making it as difficult as possible for someone to break into your home. Give yourself every possible opportunity to hear your bad guy while he is trying to break in. The only way someone is going to get in my house is to break glass. I will definately hear that and have enough time for my motor skills to work and my head to clear.

Home security should not start and end with the purchase of a firearm. There is much more to consider.

Well Said

Roberta, you said it very well. I agree with you and would suggest that, since each situation is different, anyone trying to use a broad brush method should rethink their position.

Frank, cock your revolver if that is your preference. I happen to think that double action is safer and just as accurate. I shoot that way up to 50 yards which is a little more space than from my bed to the door.

When I am home, my alarm is set; when I am traveling my gun is in my shoe beside the bed. The funny "latch" on the door is engaged.

Hopefully I will never have to shoot anyone but I have had occasion to think that I might need to do so and the available gun was quite comforting.

John

I am amazed that some of you are saying that you are not fully awake when "something goes bump in the night". When that happens to me...something that makes me want to go for my gun...I am VERY awake.

And there it is....
629c3ea3.jpg

Rio ------ We also have 5 house dogs. <<<>>> Why???
++++++

Home Security: Dogs, motion detectors and loaded weapons.

One or two dogs in the house that bark at anyone that approaches the house is your first alarm. We have two that have been trained with positive reinforcement to bark when someone approaches the house.

Our second alarm is a motion detector in the living area at the hallway to the bedroom wing.

Third alarm is two loaded S&W's, one on each side of the bed. I had my first weapon (a single shot 22 rifle) at the age of five and was raised with loaded weapons in the house. Our sons were rasied that way and our grandson is being rasied that way. Teach and children will learn and follow the teachings.

Get a motion detector (Cleaner than dogs, but not as fun especailly when they go off at 2:30 in the morning the detectors and the dogs.). Set the detector every time you go to bed. If it alarms, react as if your home has been invaded, until you know otherwise.

Having a motion detector or fire alarm that are not activated is like having a gun that is not loaded, you could potentially forfeit your life because of same.

Having young children I keep My guns all locked up.The older three know better than to touch but my youngest is only two.What i usually do is keep my shotgun loaded but not chambered behind bedroom door then in the am I unload it and lock it back up.I also have a dog that barks at anyone who comes in.

Back