Dang I love lever guns

I bought a youth model 336 lever that sports a 16” barrel. I replaced the buttpad with one heck of a limb saver to lengthen the pull a bit, but it’s nice and compact. Great trunk gun.

There is no question that this is my favorite rifle in spite of its cheep self. It carry’s well in the hand, or on the shoulder. Speaking of shoulders, it shoulders like a shotgun, hits what it’s pointed at, and all but doesn’t recoil.

I only have one lever. But I love it well.

In 1956 my dad gave me a 1952 Marlin SC 35rem to hunt with, I put 5 deer in the freezer with that gun, my son has it and hunts with it every now and then !!

Fortunately, or should I say unfortunately for my bank account, they have become my new passion. In the past couple of months, picked up a .22 for my better half, a 357; 30-30 and have a 44 magnum in the way.

So far, they are all Henry’s. The reason, had an issue with the .22 that arrived damaged, fired off an email to Anthony Imperato on a Sunday afternoon, had a response from him Sunday night. That Monday, a return label was in my inbox, by Thursday, a brand new rifle was delivered by UPS.

He now has a customer for life with that know kind of service.

Henry has it right, the best people I every dealt with no BS here they know who pays the bills !!!

I've been attached to levers I took my first deer with a 1952 Marlin 30-30 SC that my father bought for me to use.

Recently I've started trying to build up a small collection. The most fun one that I have is a Marlin .357 that I inherited from my uncle and my two Marlins in .35 Remington are my go to rifles for deer season.

One octagonal barrel here, on a Marlin 39 "Century Limited". --Technically, I believe it's actually a 39a; but Marlin stamped them "39 Century Ltd." So that's what I go with.

...But also a big lever gun fan. Well, a Marlin lever gun fan.

A quick count shows nine currently in possession (including the 39CL). Some are projects. Some are fully functional. Some are fully customized. Some are new (2017). Some are old (I think a 1946 M36 is currently my oldest - but there was a 1906 Model 1893 for a short time).
Irregardless, ALL are lever guns and fun as hell.

.22 LR to .30-30, to .44 Mag, to .444 Marlin. Factory to full custom. I love them all.
There's also a Henry. But we don't talk about that one. I don't even let it sleep in the same safes as the Marlins... ;)

I have great respect for the Henry, Winchester, Browning, and Savage designs (and Ruger, too, I guess). But I think Marlin's take is the best balance of utility, performance, production cost, affordability, and safety. As a 'garage gunsmith', I also appreciate how easier they are to work on, repair, and/or modify.

Big game has yet to fall to one of my lever guns.
But next year may change that. We'll see...

the three

I've had at least two Win 94's, both .30-30, pass through my hands, and took deer with both of them, iron sights.

Currently there are 3 lever guns in the stable. A "no safety" Marlin .357, a Win 88 in .308 (my grand dad's), and a Henry .22. My district gave me the Henry when I retired.

The Marlin was a woodswalking carbine for a long time. I've posted many times about loads and how fond I am of it. Killed my first whitetail with the M88 and still hunt it now and again under the right, easy, circumstances. The M88 wears a Leupold 6x and will shoot with a lot of bolt rifles from the same era, and outshoot some. My longest whitetail shot was with the M88. I've not killed anything with the Henry but a lot of time!!!!!

Levergun love affair

Well let's see checking my gun safe there are three side by side by side. A 357 mag, a 30-30 and a 45-70. The 357 mag is a fun gun especially when shooting 38 spl loads. The 30-30 just because no gun collection is complete without one. The 45-70..... the if I could have only one gun thing.

I, too, love lever guns, especially when friends and compatriots try to tell me why they're old-fashioned or less-than-perfect for a zombie apocalypse or Commie infiltration of the outside wire.

I just find them much more fun to shoot than bolt rifles or semi-autos. Both of those are fun to shoot, too, though, and I've got a few around in case of an infiltration, but I always enjoy shooting the ol' levers more.

Must admit the older I get the more I appreciate them. Last couple of hunts the 06 stayed in the car and my 30-30 Marlin was carried instead, made for a much less fatiguing day. I have an AR-15 but my choice for an assault rifle is my stainless 1894 in 44mag. 10 rounds as fast as I can work the lever.

By the way I've outfitted both Marlins with Williams aperture peep sights, makes a big difference in accuracy for me.
The 1894 is one of the few firearms I own that actually increased in value over the years. Wish I'd have gotten a .357 to go with it. :D

Only one guy with a BLR?

Its just a spectacular rifle

Marlins, Winchesters, Rossis, chiappas etc
That are just different kinds of economical Fords

A BLR that is a mustang

358win is such a underrated calibre to

The only one I have is a model 94 in 30-30. But I want several more. If I had enough disposable cash, I'd have one of every caliber.

--Wag--

I have one Marlin 30 30 and two BLR`s. Both 308. One is a White Gold Medallion.
I like the BLR`s best. I did not own any lever guns until the beginning of November last year and then I bought 3 in the span of 2 weeks.

Love levers. Had a rossi in 44 mag, got young and dumb and sold it for cash, stupid, one of the most accurate guns Ive owned to date. Now have Dads Winchester in 30-30. I’ll have it till I die. Next lever I own will be a 44mag carbine or a 45-70. The latter being the race winner at this stride.

Three lever rifles here. 39A[1957], Mod 94A/E 30-30 and a Henry Big Boy Classic[brass] in .357/.38spl with 20" octagon barrel. Love the lever guns. Need one more. Probably a .45 Colt. Looking.

Yup, they sure are fun. Have a Marlin 1894C and an 1895. I don't hunt, so these are just range toys, but boy are they fun! The 1894C for no recoil plinking, and introducing new shooters to rifles. The 1895 with my downloaded handloads (300 gr. RNFP's at 1,100 fps) for launching fist size chunks of lead at steel 200 yds away!! I for some reason now have a hankering for a 30-30 that I have no particular use for, but doesn't everyone need a 30-30?? Looking at a Marlin 336BL or maybe one of the color case hardened Henry's made up north here in Wisconsin!

Back