Dan Wesson Arms

Those who have read my previous posts know Dan Wesson Revolvers is one of, if not my favorite topic.

Have accumulated several Dan Wessons over the years current inventory includes a couple of .44 Mags blue and stainless, a Model 22 with a couple of barrels, a Model 15 and a Model 715. The Model 715 was tuned by Daniel B. himself and returned to me a couple of weeks prior to his passing. It is my most cherished firearm of any type. Still looking for the Holy Grail, an original Monson Mass. .357 Maximum.

Dan Wessons never achieved the following or glamour heeped upon Colt and S&W and therefore their following is limited to a small but loyal group. DW's are as strong or stronger than their competitors. Their accuracy is unquestioned and proven many times over on the IHMSA circuit. Some people don't care for the quick action. Admittedly it takes a little getting used to. The Dan Wesson action can be made as smooth as any other providing the smith doing the work knows Dan Wessons. If you can find one of the old Monson Mass guns they were as slick as they come, right out of the box. Lawyers changed all that in the early eighties. The hardest part about getting someone to fall in love with a Dan Wesson revolver is convincing them that the beauty sitting in the gunshop's used case and priced $70 to $100 less than the comparable used S&W is a bargain. Once they shoot 'em they're hooked.

Will close with something I usually don't get involved with and that's the sellout of other revolver manufacturers and Dan Wessons position in the market. The new ownership is 100% pro 2nd, and is committed to building fine firearms in this increasingly anti-gun environment. Call and talk to them you'll see. We need to support them in their efforts buy purchasing their products. Every firearm purchased from Dan Wesson strengthens their position and sends the message to the other manufacturers that you're not pleased with that which they have done. I have seen several posts in the past discussing the financial stability of the company. The surest way to keep it afloat is to support it.
Off my soap box.
Take Care

The grip is a cocobolo Hogue Monogrip. I have two barrels for this pistol, the 4" one pictured and a lightened 8" barrel. The thing drives tacks with either barrel. I paid $400 for the pistol with the 4" barrel, $80 for the grip and another $300 for the 8" barrel assembly. Worth every penny.

The price is good. Two carefully chosen barrel sizes and an extra grip or two makes it a more efficient deal than a pistol pac, because you'll end up using 2 or 3 barrels at most, and you don't need to buy them all at once. I'm definitely putting one of those on my "got to have" list.

PS5

Software glitch this PM.
Member file was corruted and everyone who logged in for a 3 minute period got the profile of the first person in the file....me.
Rich

Old Dan Wesson

I have owned since approx 1980, a DW model 12, Mfr in Monson, MA, serial # 232, 357 w/ 3 barrels, 6". 4" and 2 1/2. adj sights.

I even have the original August 1, 1970 replacement parts and price list. Retail then was a grand total of $110.00 with the Pistol Pac with brief case going for $190.00...Barrel assemblies, any length were $25.00.

Wonderfully accurate. Had it returned to the DW factory in NY this spring due to part(s) breaking internally during shooting Rem 125 gr .357.

First repair on the revolver, ever. Company was most gracious and fixed and returned in 2 weeks.

This was an even trade for a multi serial # Army .45 acp with an old Army buddy.
I think I got the better part of the deal.:D

Brian Busch:

I just PM'ed you as well, but in case you read the forum first:

Can you tell me the model number of your Dan Wesson? This is the EXACT same gun I'm looking for, down to the grips and the barrels...

With the model number I can start looking for a used one...

OUCH!

$300 for an 8" barrel? I did way better than that on auction arms.
8" barrel cost me $60 and shroud cost me $80 barrel nut was $4 at a gun show. I have put my complete pistol pac together from the net mostly from auction sites. I started with a DW 15 with a 6" light barrel in blue(blue? more like plum on mine thinking of having it Hard-chromed. I added barrels and shrouds as I find them usually for not over $100 for the complete unit(the 8" was the exception being a little more expensive, The 4" VH & 2.5" the cheapest at $80 EA for the complete barrel sets(bareel shroud & barrel nut). I like my Dw revolver and hope to add a second in 44 and a third in 32 magnum when I get the chance. Perhaps a 22 as well. I saw my first DW on the cover of Shooting Times magazine in 1977 (still have that issue) It was love at first sight. I had to have one and I was only 17! Took a few years but I did get one. This is my 4th DW revolver(3 .357's and 1 .44) and it will stay with me. This is my first pistol pac.

The pack I bought over 15 years ago came with 2.5", 4", 6", and 8" barrels and I've used them all. I usually use the 6" at the ragne, but I've pressed Danny into a carry piece with the 2.5" barrel and 38 +P's and I've hunted with the 8" that I put a scope onto. I've got 4 grips now, including one of the "carve-it-yourself" ones that I made to fit my wife's smaller hand.

I love the single action pull, but I think the double action stacks up a little bit. I think the cylinder release on the crane is kinda neat and it really doesn't hamper speed loads. The only probelm I've ever had is the ejector rod had a tendancy to spin loose, but a drop of locktite cured that. Overall, I love this gun and I can't see ever getting rid of anything this versatile.

My 3 Dan's

Here's my 3 Dan's
445 Super Mag
357 Super Mag
.22 LR

2002187777600893329088.jpg

Back