Damage to live ammo from too many load cycles!

Good thing I carry a revolver!

Some folks choose to leave the chamber empty on auto stored around the house, etc.

As a former firefighter, SOP at my department was not to enter a house that was on fire if there was a suspicion that there were loaded firearms inside. I download all weapons when storing them.

As a former firefighter, SOP at my department was not to enter a house that was on fire if there was a suspicion that there were loaded firearms inside. I download all weapons when storing them.

Hell they would ALL burn to the ground around here. Everybody keeps them and everybody knows it.

Question

I can see how rechambering can be bad for a round. I typically do not re chamber the same round multiple times. My question however is what about rounds being removed and then re loaded into mags.

My typical range trip starts with me dropping the mag of carry ammo. My spare mags are also loaded with carry ammo and kept either on me or in the truck. I fire the chambered round and replace that one but I typically sit my hat on the table and unload all my carry ammo from the mags into the hat.

I then use those mags for range work with whatever I choose to pratcice with and reload them at the end of the session. Any info on rounds damaged because they were placed into a mag and then removed?

Thanks, Vermonter

If they look anything like this-or worse-toss them.

45_setback.jpg

Vermonter- you might want to inspect them but I can't say I've seen mention of damage from loading and unloading from mags only.

I know that people re-chamber sometimes without seeing any appreciable setback. But after finding this I stopped doing it more than the initial time. I was quite surprised. It is a Speer GD standard pressure 124g 9mm that was chambered only once. I had previously re-chambered rounds 2-3 times without seeing anything like it.

setback.jpg

It could be dangerous in certain loadings of some calibers. Typically it's more of an issue in heavy bullet loadings of calibers without a lot of case capacity. .40S&W with 180gr bullets is probably the classic example. As I mentioned earlier, in that loading, a tenth of an inch of setback can double the discharge pressure.

The last SD ammo I bought (Federal 9mm 147gr and .380 92 gr HP's) both have sort of a crimp in the case at the bottom of the bullet, presumably to help prevent setback.

Personally, I just check them before rechambering...

When a gun is well broken in, the round will chamber easy enough when slow fed into the chamber. Riding the slide part way home before letting it go is a better description. This is a technique I've always used to keep from dinging up the bullet nose, or risk setting the bullet back in the case. "Administrative" loading only! Even so, I still like to rotate that top round to the bottom after a couple loadings.

Never to be used for SD practice where the slide has to be released with full force to insure positive chambering.

I always drop the "Social Mag" from the gun going into the range and leaving the gun in the Gun Bag regardless of the rules. It is safe and when getting to my range station, remove the gun from the gun bag and load the Range Ammo mag into it. No one complains and cannot tell the difference. When exiting the range into my vehicle, I load a fresh mag rack the slide and top off the mag with one bullitt in the parking lot. This is done with the drivers side window open and gun pointing up. Never had a problem and NO set back issues with my "Social Ammo" YMMV.

Back