da/sa dislikes

Having owned - and traded away - a Smith 4506, I have an opinion on this subject. The first shot wasn't where the difficulty ocurred; it was on the follow-up shot. I had a tendency to fire too quickly, from treating the trigger the same with the second shot as the first. Usually managed to send the follow-up shot well above the black. At least. I used this pistol for league shooting, and sent several thousand rounds down the pipe, but just couldn't get the hang of it.

I traded it on a 1911 - Kimber Pro Carry - and have been quite pleased with the change. The trigger is the same for every shot. I've fired Glocks - Models 19 and 21 - and find the trigger to be OK, but the grips are too fat for me.

JB

That can be a problem, JonnyB. It's always a good idea to practice shooting paired shots with DA/SA. I usually shoot the following drill: One mag DA (decocking afer every shot), one mag DA/SA pairs (decocking after each pair), one mag DA/SA rapid fire (no decocking).

That said, though, for match shooting like you were doing there is definitely a benefit to shooting SA only, although some competitors do quite well with DA/SA.

Back